PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Chuck Schwartz
11-02-2011, 05:40 PM
How many of those players you mention had anything to do with UW's current assistants during their recruitment?

People can talk about players recruited under a head coach but the reality is a lot of the work is done by the assistant coaches. Those guys matter more than people often understand. Assistants won't necessarily be the main reason a kid does (or does not) select a school but you'd be kidding yourself if they don't play a healthy sized role. It certainly didn't help the Gophers cause with Hill. If they didn't have such a big advantage recruiting in MN, Hill's presence would have been more damaging than it was.

Wisconsin's current assistant coaches have only been in place for a little over a season so obviously the majority of the players listed were not recruited by the current assistants.

Given the fact that there is only one senior on the roster and a hand full of juniors, the next two classes have for the most part already been filled up.

The current assistants have brought in guys like Brad Navin and Joseph LaBate, Landon Peterson, Tim Davison, Jake Linhart, and Kevin Schulze who is off to a really nice start in the USHL.

The bad rap comment is laughable.

Hammy
11-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Wisconsin's current assistant coaches have only been in place for a little over a season so obviously the majority of the players listed were not recruited by the current assistants.

That's the point.

I'm not a big believer in Butters these days. As a Gopher fan, I feel the way about him that you guys probably felt about John Hill on the Gophers (meaning you feel somebody else would do better job in that role so you wanted things to stay status quo). I don't know if that is what the one poster was getting at with his comments about "bad rap" though. He'd have to answer that for himself.

solovsfett
11-02-2011, 11:24 PM
That's the point.

I'm not a big believer in Butters these days. As a Gopher fan, I feel the way about him that you guys probably felt about John Hill on the Gophers (meaning you feel somebody else would do better job in that role so you wanted things to stay status quo). I don't know if that is what the one poster was getting at with his comments about "bad rap" though. He'd have to answer that for himself.

Why would you be a believer in Butters these days? he's a badger!

also, didn't he bring in guys like Crowley and Trebil? they seemed to do pretty ok

Hammy
11-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Why would you be a believer in Butters these days? he's a badger!

also, didn't he bring in guys like Crowley and Trebil? they seemed to do pretty ok

Its a long way from 15 to 20 years ago. Hence, the words "these days". You think he was in high demand before this gig popped up? C'mon man...

I believed in Osiecki as a high quality assistant. Didn't matter if he was a Badger or not.

Chuck Schwartz
11-03-2011, 12:55 AM
That's the point.

I'm not too worried about Butters at this point. He's proven through results on the ice that he's a solid coach, it's entirely too early to judge him as a recruiter. We'll see. Comparing him to John Hill is a joke IMO.

Hammy
11-03-2011, 01:42 AM
I'm not too worried about Butters at this point. He's proven through results on the ice that he's a solid coach, it's entirely too early to judge him as a recruiter. We'll see. Comparing him to John Hill is a joke IMO.

I wasn't really comparing him to Hill in a coaching sense. Just using Hill as an example because it really didn't help the Gophers cause to have Hill in the program and fans of other teams wanted him to stay for that very reason. I feel the same way on Butters.

Chuck Schwartz
11-03-2011, 02:13 AM
I wasn't really comparing him to Hill in a coaching sense. Just using Hill as an example because it really didn't help the Gophers cause to have Hill in the program and fans of other teams wanted him to stay for that very reason. I feel the same way on Butters.

Comparing Hill to Butters? Laughable.

solovsfett
11-03-2011, 06:54 AM

this doesn't make sense at all. Butters hasn't been at Wisconsin long enough to judge the recruiting part although I'd say Linhart and Shulze are an excellent start for d-men. as for coaching, the D seemed to do well last year and are getting better this year.

but in the end really it's Coach Eaves. he's like Bo Ryan, he can take two people from the stands and make them good assistants or take average players (drewiske, woz) and somehow get them prepared and disciplined enough to make the SHOW.

people freaked a bit when Ward and Hynes left, no big deal. Patrick and Oseicki came in. People freaked when they also left for head coaching jobs. no big deal. they're replaced by Shuchuk and Butters.

In Eaves we trust really. that's something I'm re-learning this year as I've seen the team grow in the last 2 weeks into a team I feel will be performing at a top-5 WCHA level by or just after x-mas.

as for MN, the impact Hill had at UMN seemed to be immediate and well obviously pretty negative

Hammy
11-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Comparing Hill to Butters? Laughable.

Apparently no more laughable than your reading comprehension.

this doesn't make sense at all. Butters hasn't been at Wisconsin long enough to judge the recruiting part

I'd be more than happy to give him a long, long time to prove himself. :D

milzie
11-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Apparently no more laughable than your reading comprehension.

I'd be more than happy to give him a long, long time to prove himself. :D

Funny commentary from a guy who at the time was ecstatic that John Hill was leaving Alaska to be the asst. coach for the gophers. How'd that work out for you? And you expect people to take your opinion of a coach of a rival team seriously after that debacle....LOL!

JDUBBS1280
11-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Funny commentary from a guy who at the time was ecstatic that John Hill was leaving Alaska to be the asst. coach for the gophers. How'd that work out for you? And you expect people to take your opinion of a coach of a rival team seriously after that debacle....LOL!

We all love Butters. He's a "M" guy, but Hammy is hardly the only Gopher fan that feels this way.

Hammy
11-03-2011, 01:32 PM

If "ecstatic" means pointing out that Hill helped build two teams that won titles (granted, he wasn't coaching those teams), then I guess I'm guilty. Ironically enough, that puts him ahead of the curve on the guy you are trying to defend.

If it makes you feel better, I'm just as happy as you that Butters is at UW. :D

Chuck Schwartz
11-03-2011, 01:38 PM
If it makes you feel better, I'm just as happy as you that Butters is at UW. :D

You say stuff like this with no substance. If you're going to say it, give a reason. Do you feel like he simply can't recruit? What's the deal, why are you so happy he's at Wisconsin? Obviously it's way too soon to judge the returns on what he's provided in his stint in Madison so far, so I'm curious what you know.

Hammy
11-03-2011, 01:49 PM
You say stuff like this with no substance. If you're going to say it, give a reason. Do you feel like he simply can't recruit? What's the deal, why are you so happy he's at Wisconsin? Obviously it's way too soon to judge the returns on what he's provided in his stint in Madison so far, so I'm curious what you know.

Just like you, I am not going to divulge everything I hear/know for public consumption on a message board. I will say some of it is recruiting related.

C'mon... can't a guy just be happy about some things in this world? :D

milzie
11-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Exactly. The guy hasn't been here long enough to have an opinion either way, but I'm willing to see what he can do. No one said they were ecstatic about Butters being here like Hammy was about Hill.:D

I think Hammy should worry about his own teams coaching staff. They just signed Lucia (who he was calling for his head) to a 3 year extension!:eek:

Hammy
11-03-2011, 02:05 PM
I think Hammy should worry about his own teams coaching staff. They just signed Lucia (who he was calling for his head) to a 3 year extension!:eek:

Called for his head... if he made no staff changes. If he hadn't been forced into making a change, I'd still be saying it. Fortunately, it is no longer a concern and things have been great (especially with recruiting) since then. :D

Thanks for the entertainment! I wasn't getting much on the Gopher/Sioux threads this week. :(

Chuck Schwartz
11-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Two Wisconsin high school kids, John Feemster from Wausau West (Sioux Falls), and Michael Kapla from Eau Claire Memorial (Sioux City) are playing up with the USHL teams that own their rights this weekend. They will return for the high school season next week.

Both are fringe recruits at this point. Two kids to keep an eye on.

mariucci
11-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Glad to see Butters recruiting in state.. Sure many Badger fans may get a lil fiesty if it all doesn't equate to an NCAA right away, or it may (i dunno).. Its just the right thing to do (imo).. Its good for the sport, good for WI etc etc... Theres plenty of hockey talent in WI so why not give those scholarships to the local kids, does the youth programs wonders...

UWisco
11-07-2011, 09:18 PM
http://m.host.madison.com/mobile/article_eb06e29c-09ac-11e1-bc0b-001cc4c03286.html

Nic Kerdiles
Morgan Zulinick
Kevin Schulze

3 are expected to sign this week.

Sorry for the mobile website.

solovsfett
11-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Glad to see Butters recruiting in state.. Sure many Badger fans may get a lil fiesty if it all doesn't equate to an NCAA right away, or it may (i dunno).. Its just the right thing to do (imo).. Its good for the sport, good for WI etc etc... Theres plenty of hockey talent in WI so why not give those scholarships to the local kids, does the youth programs wonders...

I like the idea on paper but until Wisconsin high schools can prove they can play at the elite level of the Minnesota HS or Mass prep schools of the world I'd just as soon have UW recruit canada more. the level of competition for Wisconsin HS is pretty low w/the exception being Hudson, Superior, Eagle River, Wausau, pretty much the far northern and northeastern schools. that won't change unless somehow (and I don't know how it would transpire) the southeastern part of the state begins to support hockey in any real way.

for Wisconsin to be like Minnesota they need places like Brookfield to produce 2 teams (central and east) for hockey not a combined team. they need all of the schools in that conference to have high end coaches but deeper than that they need more youth programs.

get these kids in the suburbs to forget about effing soccer already and play hockey