NCAA rules for transfering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA rules for transfering

Does anyone know the rules if someone wanted to go from a d1 team to a d3 team? Also, viceversa.Are there any circumstances that would null and void the rules. ie a college program starts or ends?

Re: NCAA rules for transfering

Originally posted by icehockey View Post
    Does anyone know the rules if someone wanted to go from a d1 team to a d3 team? Also, viceversa.Are there any circumstances that would null and void the rules. ie a college program starts or ends?
    Assuming the student-athlete is in good academic standing there is no problem with going from D-I to D-III.

However, the reverse is not true. In going from D-III to D-I, you have to sit out a year. But since you can redshirt in D-I, players generally do that instead of losing a year.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by icehockey View Post
      Transferring from a Div-I team to a Div-III, there are no eligibility restrictions, given that the student-athlete was in good standing at their previous school (i.e. passing grades, completed classes, etc.). Going from Div-III to Div-I, a student athlete must sit out two full semesters (as defined by the NCAA), in order to be eligble to participate in a Div-I sport. Therefore, if an athlete leaves a program following the fall semester, the following spring semester they would be eligble to participate in Div-I.

I also believe there is a provision in the NCAA bylaws that waives the year a Div-III athlete must sit out when going to a Div-I program, if they graduate early and have eligibility remaining, given that they are pursuing an advanced degree at an institution.

^^Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Comment

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
        Transferring from a Div-I team to a Div-III, there are no eligibility restrictions, given that the student-athlete was in good standing at their previous school (i.e. passing grades, completed classes, etc.). Going from Div-III to Div-I, a student athlete must sit out two full semesters (as defined by the NCAA), in order to be eligble to participate in a Div-I sport. Therefore, if an athlete leaves a program following the fall semester, the following spring semester they would be eligble to participate in Div-I.

I also believe there is a provision in the NCAA bylaws that waives the year a Div-III athlete must sit out when going to a Div-I program, if they graduate early and have eligibility remaining, given that they are pursuing an advanced degree at an institution.

^^Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.
        Your belief is correct. There are examples in which exactly that happened.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Regarding DIII player having to skip a year when moving to a DI, there is a one time only exemption that allows a player to play immediately after transfering to the DI program. If the player was never offically recruited by the DIII program he presently plays for, kind of like a walk on so to speak, he can immediately play the next season.

Comment

For your off-season reading pleasure:

Division I Toolkit

Frequently-Asked Questions on Redshirts, Age Limits and Graduate Participation

DI Academic Cabinet refines 2-4 transfer concepts

Recruiting

Just for fun:
            NHL camps give rules a dress rehearsal
            Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

How about this situation which happened in the late 90's but maybe the rules have changed but a kid transferred in to the school my son was attending from a Canadian University where he was a full time student for three years but never played CIS hockey at the school and he was able to have four year's of eligibility to play NCAA Div. III. Would it be allowed today if it was the same exact scenario I wonder. NU Prof what do you think?

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              Your belief is correct. There are examples in which exactly that happened.

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
                How about this situation which happened in the late 90's but maybe the rules have changed but a kid transferred in to the school my son was attending from a Canadian University where he was a full time student for three years but never played CIS hockey at the school and he was able to have four year's of eligibility to play NCAA Div. III. Would it be allowed today if it was the same exact scenario I wonder. NU Prof what do you think?
                Off the top of my head, I would say that he would have two years of eligibility. You get 5 years of full time enrollment to complete your eligibility unless exceptions are granted, I believe. I'm sure norm will find us the links that I'm too lazy to find. In DI, the eligibility clock keeps running even if you are out of school, but not so in DIII.
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I would imagine that the student would have to play by the same entry rules. Since the school sponsored the sport, it would count as one of their semesters of eligibility or two if they were there for the year. Meaning, as long as they had enough credits to play at the DIII school and would have been eligible to play at the CIS school if they stayed, they could transfer without a year of residency. They would only be eligible for 8 semesters and not 10 based on the fact the CIS school does sponsor the sport regardless if they played or not. I am be wrong, but just a shot at it.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                    Off the top of my head, I would say that he would have two years of eligibility. You get 5 years of full time enrollment to complete your eligibility unless exceptions are granted, I believe. I'm sure norm will find us the links that I'm too lazy to find. In DI, the eligibility clock keeps running even if you are out of school, but not so in DIII.
                    In DIII they go by semesters. 10 to play 8.

Comment

Sorry just read that he was at the school for three years. Yes, NU is right, he should have only gotten 4 semesters to play 2.

Comment

Working...
                      X