Vibe at Games at the Various Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibe at Games at the Various Schools

I was curious what the atmosphere was like at hockey games for the different schools around the country. What's the student support like? The only women's game I've attended was Wayne State a couple of seasons ago. There were probably 115-120 in attendance. (Mostly players parents/friends and kids from local hockey clubs and their parents.) Because WSU is primarily a commuter college and the rink is about 5 miles from campus, it didn't seem like there was much student support. It's too bad because the hockey was terrific. What's it like at some of the other schools?

Re: Vibe at Games at the Various Schools

Providence has small attendance but great vibe. The rink is on campus so easy for students to attend and a pep band is often in attendance. The program appears to have a following of non parent, non students who attend many games. A unique feature of the program is the Friar Room where parents and fans from both the Friars and visting team can mix and interact and catch some food and drink. Totally unique community vibe around the Friar program.

Comment

That's cool. Back in college I remember hockey and rugby had smaller crowds but incredibly loyal and boisterous fans. Thanks for the info!
      Originally posted by joehockey View Post
      Providence has small attendance but great vibe. The rink is on campus so easy for students to attend and a pep band is often in attendance. The program appears to have a following of non parent, non students who attend many games. A unique feature of the program is the Friar Room where parents and fans from both the Friars and visting team can mix and interact and catch some food and drink. Totally unique community vibe around the Friar program.

Comment

Although the crowd was only 400 plus, the new arena in Bemidji provides an excellent pro vibe! Beautiful new complex.....oh, and I loved the lounge in the north end zone!

Comment

RPI's band will show up, but you'll be lucky to get a couple hundred to attend. Games are free.

SU (at Tennilly) is a bit unique. Although the bleacher only has 3 rows and on one side, it seemed fairly packed when I went to watch RPI play SU. Granted it was thanksgiving weekend so there were plenty of parents in attendance, and there was a football game beforehand that brought more attendance. I'd also say a couple hundred, but because the facility is so small (I'd say even smaller than Northford, where Q-Pac used to play), it was a good environment.

Comment

I saw a game in Bemidji back in December and would have to say that this is definately one of the nicest arenas the the women play in. For a relatively small school in a small town both the men's and women's programs are getting stronger and stronger. With the new arena (Sanford Center), their ability to recruit blue chip players should be enhanced.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              RPI's band will show up, but you'll be lucky to get a couple hundred to attend. Games are free....
              The band is a volunteer effort and the women's games are not as high a priority as some of the other events. When they do show up, however, it's a great addition.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeydad4two View Post
                The band is a volunteer effort and the women's games are not as high a priority as some of the other events. When they do show up, however, it's a great addition.
                It most definitely is a great addition, until we're yelled at by the press box to move elsewhere.

As for higher priority, the band makes it a high priority in order to get people to attend, given that most join for free hockey. If you like a fundamentals game (which I do like to see once in a while, hockey doesn't have to be a bullfight), it's definitely a great thing to watch. I've been a bit unsuccessful in talking some of my friends into attending, though.
                Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 05-11-2011, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  It most definitely is a great addition...
                  As a parent of a player, I can assure you that when the band shows up, the women definitely do notice and appreciate it! Please pass that on to all the members.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeydad4two View Post
                    As a parent of a player, I can assure you that when the band shows up, the women definitely do notice and appreciate it! Please pass that on to all the members.
                    Absolutely. Heck, playing for a women's game resulted in the only time I ever traveled to Bright (where Harvard plays). I still try to get to at least one women's game or series per year. I try to have it be at Colgate/Cornell or at Syracuse if we happen to be playing them NC that year there.

Comment

Princeton games are free, but have almost no student support. Most of the people that come are parents of the players. Me and a few other die-hard townies go to all games, and there a few other locals that I see regularly, including a couple of father/daughter pairs. But for a small crowd it can get raucous in tight game.

Comment

BC's atmosphere took an unfortunate downturn last year. They had an unmatched buzz at their home games for 4 years starting in 2006. Not sure what happened.
                        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Working...
                        X