Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2011-2012 - The Future Is Now

Hello fans of Brown Hockey-

I just wanted to quickly touch base with you in regards to the Goals For Good project. In short, it's a competitive goal-a-thon between every team in the ECAC, and every team has partnered with a charity in close relation to their team, school, and or community. We're currently looking for more prizes, but as of now, there is $1,000 on the line going to the local food cupboard of the team that raises the most money. Please check out www.goalsforgood.org to learn more and support your team and their charity by way of their goals and wins.

Thank you,
    Kevin McNamara

Comment

When was the last time we had a 3-game win streak against Cornell??

And furthermore, why the hell does Colgate ALWAYS give us so much trouble? It feels like we never beat them (disregarding last year, of course).

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        When was the last time we had a 3-game win streak against Cornell??

And furthermore, why the hell does Colgate ALWAYS give us so much trouble? It feels like we never beat them (disregarding last year, of course).
        Brown last won three against Cornell in the early 90s in the heyday of the Bob Gaudet era. Prior to that, it was the early 80s, believe it or not, when Brown struggled to finish .500 but had Cornell's number. Oddly, the series became particularly one-sided in overall wins and losses because of a long streak by Cornell in the early 70s (when everyone lost to Cornell) and the 2001-2008 stretch when Cornell was loaded and Brown, for the most part, was not.

As for Colgate, last year was the first time Brown had swept both Cornell and Colgate. Ever. For some reason, whether it was the clutch and grab Colgate teams that frustrated the bejesus out of Roger Grillo's most skilled teams (mssrs. Robinson, Haggett, et al), or the vintages of years past that turned Starr Rink into a Bruno house of horrors, Brown just has never played well against the Raiders.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
          Brown last won three against Cornell in the early 90s in the heyday of the Bob Gaudet era. Prior to that, it was the early 80s, believe it or not, when Brown struggled to finish .500 but had Cornell's number. Oddly, the series became particularly one-sided in overall wins and losses because of a long streak by Cornell in the early 70s (when everyone lost to Cornell) and the 2001-2008 stretch when Cornell was loaded and Brown, for the most part, was not.

As for Colgate, last year was the first time Brown had swept both Cornell and Colgate. Ever. For some reason, whether it was the clutch and grab Colgate teams that frustrated the bejesus out of Roger Grillo's most skilled teams (mssrs. Robinson, Haggett, et al), or the vintages of years past that turned Starr Rink into a Bruno house of horrors, Brown just has never played well against the Raiders.
          Thank you Euler, that's exactly what I wanted to know but was too lazy to research!

I always dread the Colgate game because we rarely get a result out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they had the best record against over the past decade and a half or so.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            Thank you Euler, that's exactly what I wanted to know but was too lazy to research!

I always dread the Colgate game because we rarely get a result out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they had the best record against over the past decade and a half or so.
            You're welcome, but I'm not Euler. As Pavarotti once said, "If you saw me once, you would not confuse me for the other." Indeed, I can only strive for such greatness, though a wise man (Emerson, a personal favorite) once said to be misunderstood is to be great. I venture a guess that many of us have been misunderstood or confused for another on these pages over the years!

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
              You're welcome, but I'm not Euler. As Pavarotti once said, "If you saw me once, you would not confuse me for the other." Indeed, I can only strive for such greatness, though a wise man (Emerson, a personal favorite) once said to be misunderstood is to be great. I venture a guess that many of us have been misunderstood or confused for another on these pages over the years!
              Wow. I could have sworn I saw Euler18 next to the post! My apologies.

Comment

From Josh Boyd's predictions on USCHO:

"Brown at Union

Josh: Troy Grosenick may be the best goalie in the nation right now (tops in goals against average at 1.24 and save percentage at .949), but he is just one of many leading men on the marquee for the Dutchmen. Kelly Zajac can score with the best of them, Mat Bodie hasn't stopped producing points since Day 1 this season and Shayne Gotisbehere is emerging as a top-flight two-way defenseman as a freshman.

In the visitors' corner, the Bears are struggling in many categories, but not in the guts department. Those were on display in grand fashion in their 5-4 defeat of Cornell last week. IT'LL TAKE MORE THAN GUTS AGAINST THE ECAC'S TOP TEAM RIGHT NOW.

Union 5-2"

Yes. It took more than guts for Brown to defeat Union last night: 1. A solid TEAM effort (four lines, six defensemen); 2. Outstanding goaltending by Mike Clemente; 3. A brilliant goal by Jack Maclellan breaking the tie with seconds left in the second period.

Comment

Adding to Euler's comments:

Incredible team effort last night as well as coaching. Everyone but the backup goalie contributed. Coach had 4 lines, yes 4 lines, playing, with not that a great a drop-off in ability. I was quite impressed with the play of the "fourth" line (Draper, Drolet and Hourihan). Every shift on the ice was bringing on it seemed fresh legs. At the end the McClellan/Farnham/Jacobson line was on the ice for the last 60 seconds of true crunch time and with the pacing through the game never missed a beat. BTW, Jack seems to skate/stickhandle better every game. Coach did a great job in handling the lines as he did.

Also the coaching staff put in a great D plan - neutral zone traps, not allowing U on a power play to skate in but standing them up at the blue line. Union simply could not respond.

The game was chippy but U and Brown always seems to me to be chippy. Booby Farnham has some new penpals - with his speed he was frustrating several of the bigger U players who then started yapping at him. At the end of the game that led to the grabbing of Bobby F's facemask and some more pushing and shoving. Brought back memories of a U and Brown game at Achilles during the Danis years when 2 U players went after Scott Ford and Vince Macri after the game was over with fists cocked and Macri laid one of them wioth one punch!

Only mistake, and only one I saw, was the first goal on U's first shift when the D missed a chance to clear and U capitalized immediately.

RPI should be a good game. it is hard to believe that RPI has such a poor record with the talent on that team. Hopefully, RPI will not wake-up tonight. It appears the RPI fans feel the same way as normally we have on the Brown thread predictions from the RPI posters, many of whom know the game, predicting a RPI win. None this year.

Comment

Hat's off to Brown for their gutsy win last night over Union. Giving up a goal 30 seconds in could have derailed Brown's effort. They stuck to their game plan and kept Union off of theirs. Brown clogged the neutral zone, particularly on the PK and Union had little choice but to dump in the puck and chase it, and it didn't work. It wasn't the prettiest or most exciting game I've seen but Brown got the best of us last night. The rematch in Providence should be another battle. I must have missed the on ice mic because I couldn't tell who was yapping at who, but the extracurriculars after the game were unnecessary and Welsh's absence is going to hurt us tonight.

Comment

Anyone know the status of marc Carrier? he did not play last weekend and when I was looiing at the Brown roster last night he is no longer listed.

Comment

Awesome win last night! It's always great to beat a heavily-favored opponent in their own barn, especially one that has been so brilliant these last few years.

To be honest, I can't see us beating RPI tonight, but if we can somehow manage to do so, what a great weekend it would be!

Comment

Also, look who's in first in the ECAC (at least for the moment):

http://www.uscho.com/standings/divis...men/2011-2012/

Comment

There's a free video feed of the RPI game. You have to listen to the student broadcasters' chatter, but it's cool seeing the different camera streams all on one screen.
                            http://www.rpitv.org/productions/419...nes-video-feed

Too bad about that goal.

Comment

From the Saturday game thread:
                              Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                              But seriously...you guys OWN us in the regular season. Or so it seems (feel free to prove me wrong with statistics).
                              I know I'm way late in a response for this, but over the past ten (completed) seasons, RPI (13-3-4), Cornell (14-4-2), and Dartmouth (also 14-4-2) are tied for the best in-conference record vs Brown.

RPI was also 12-1-2 over the past fifteen games against the Bears. So, yea, I'd say your feelings were pretty accurate.
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                                From the Saturday game thread:

I know I'm way late in a response for this, but over the past ten (completed) seasons, RPI (13-3-4), Cornell (14-4-2), and Dartmouth (also 14-4-2) are tied for the best in-conference record vs Brown.

RPI was also 12-1-2 over the past fifteen games against the Bears. So, yea, I'd say your feelings were pretty accurate.
                                Just as I suspected: we totally suck against RPI, Cornell (though taking the last three has been wonderful), and Bobby Gaudet.

Which helps explain why I always dread all six encounters (or seven when we face Dartmouth in the Ivy Showcase).

Comment

Working...
                                X