Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Princeton 2011 offseason

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    Agreed. Penn State is a fine school but nowhere near the caliber of Princeton. Foolish to put the two in the same sentence academically.
    I would say it's foolish to put State Pen in the same sentence academically as Wisconsin and Michigan, let alone Princeton.

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    I wonder how many other coaches view the ECAC as a stepping stone to jobs in other conferences. I can't see Schafer or Gaudet looking elsewhere as they are alums of their respective programs. From a Harvard perspective, we're more worried about Amaker and Murphy seeking other jobs given their success in the basketball and football programs. Especially Amaker.
    The only one I can think of, and he is pretty obvious, is RPI's Seth Appert. Now, I am willing to bet RPI takes care of him a bit better than Union took care of Nate Leaman. RPI probably also has a bit more potential as far as what the program can achieve with a good coach. The argument could be made that Leaman had pretty much done all he could possibly do at Union, which Appert certainly has further to go. But he played in the CCHA and coached national championship teams at Denver in the WCHA. Sorry, but the lovely environs of Troy, NY are not enough to keep anyone around forever if the right jobs open up.

All 5 other Ivy coaches are alums and the only one that I think might ever leave for a better college job is Brendan Whittet of Brown, but not for some time and not until Brown has achieved at least what Yale has now. He is a young guy and like Leaman, needs to think about supporting a young family.

Yale's Keith Allain might leave, but he would never coach anywhere else in college. I could see him jumping to the pros, but he probably wants a national championship of at least a couple FFs before that happens. He is old enough that it is more about pride than money at this point.

Schafer and Gaudet are firmly entrenched in the one job they have always wanted and are there until they retire. Donato is at Harvard until he gets let go or turns it around, whatever happens first. If he succeeded at Harvard, he might have been a candidate for a bigger college or pro job, but at this point he is just trying to keep his head above water.

As for the non-Ivys, SLU's Joe Marsh and Colgate's Don Vaughn are doubtful to leave for anywhere else. Marsh will be at SLU until he retires, which could be sooner than later. If that happens, I guess Vaughn could be a candidate at SLU as he is an alum and it is a more desirable job in my opinion.

Rand Pecknold has achieved a lot at Quinnipiac, but not enough to make a school from a bigger conference really want him. He needs to win a championship first. But QU loves him and they are committed to hockey, so he's got a good thing going.

It's probably too early to talk about Bennett or whoever replaces Roll, but I see both as potential jumpers if they achieve success.

As far as early candidates for the Princeton opening, I don't know much about any PU alums with coaching experience and while I assume at least a few present D1 head coaches will be interested, I can't think of any off the top of my head. Gadowsky came out of nowhere when he was hired away from Alaska after all. But as far as assistants that jump out as potential candidates, there are 3 right from the Ivies: Cornell Associate Head Coach Casey Jones, Dartmouth Associate Head Coach Dave Peters, and Yale Associate Head Coach Kyle Wallack.

These guys are all the #2's and top recruiters at the three most recently successful Ivy (and ECAC, for that matter) programs. Jones will be a candidate for the Clarkson opening as well and I could understand why he might prefer that job. Peters has been a candidate for every opening since god knows when and was the runner up when Gadowsky got the job at PU as well as when Allain got the job at Yale. He would have been a top candidate for the job at Brown 2 years ago but did not apply out of respect to Brown alum and then-fellow DC assistant Whittet. Wallack, the least obvious of the three names, has helped Keith Allain build Yale into a national powerhouse. His former boss at Holy Cross, Paul Pearl, is often named as a candidate for open jobs including at Yale when Taylor was let go, but I think Wallack is the real reason HC was so successful while he was there.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
      It's Bob Gaudet, and that's about a ZERO percent chance of happening. He's a Dartmouth alum, and is going nowhere.
      No one has done less with more talent than Bob Gaudet. It will be great for the rest of the ECAC if he stays right where he is. He has the perfect situation at Dartmouth and really is not accountable to anyone. He carries more status at Dartmouth than the new AD. The Princeton program is on a huge roll.

You will find someone great.

Comment

Interesting look at Ivy coaches. Finding someone who will fit at Princeton ( academics etc. ) like Guy did will be difficult. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by rightwing View Post
          Penn st. is getting a high quality individual. He will do well. But to suggest Penn State has similar academic standards to Princeton is simply not true. Princeton is constantly rated the top university in the nation by U S News and the hockey team has an Academic Index that is so high that Gadowsky had a small pool to recruit from. He won't have those restrictions at PSU , and will be able to get the athlete that he couldn't get at Princeton.
          In no way was I inferring that Penn State standards are as high as Princeton, only that they are tougher than a lot of hockey schools.
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Been thinking about potential alums who could be head coaching candidates, since that is the way every other Ivy has now gone and had success with (with the exception of Harvard).

They tried it with Quesnelle, who played when the team was still awful, and it did not work out even though he was the top assistant when Cahoon turned them around. So I would think they'd want to try someone who played during their best years. So it would have to be someone from the Cahoon era because anyone who played on a good Princeton team before he came is long dead and everyone that played for Gadowsky is too young.

From there, the most successful class in the era was the class of '99, captained by Jeff Halpern and Syl Apps III. Halpern is still an active NHLer with zero coaching experience and I hope everyone has learned the lesson not to go that route from Harvard. I can't find anything about what Apps or guys like Steve Shireffs have been doing for the last six years. Anyone know if anyone from that class or time has been doing any coaching at any level?

Comment

I'm wondering if Princeton might go with another coach with Fairbanks ties in Brian Renfrew. He hasn't coached in the ECAC or the Ivy League; but he was most recently the associate head coach at Michigan State, and served eight years in all in East Lansing. He's also looking for a job after not being retained for Tom Anastos' new MSU staff.

Renfrew, though, was an assistant with Gadowsky at Alaska, and could also join him at Penn State.
              Last edited by bcuafmsu2; 04-27-2011, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I hope Gadowsky has a hand in selecting his replacement. I know this is unusual, but he is leaving with great relationships and doesnt really start his new job immediately.

Comment

Darren Yopyk?

http://www.westsidewarriors.ca/leagu...97&pageid=6682

Comment

Did Halpern learn to dive like that at Princeton or Montreal?

Jeez!

Comment

Casey jones

Comment

Originally posted by bcuafmsu2 View Post
                        I'm wondering if Princeton might go with another coach with Fairbanks ties in Brian Renfrew.

Renfrew, though, was an assistant with Gadowsky at Alaska, and could also join him at Penn State.
                        I bet Renfrew could end up in Penn State.

Comment

The pool of potential candidates is small as Junior coaches would struggle with Ivy league restrictions. I guess a ECAC assistant is probably most likely

Comment

I have no idea what coaches in the ECAC are paid. I know that these things are speculative, but does anyone have any idea what type of remuneration package would be dangled in front of someone to start up a program like Penn State's.

Comment

Do you think another one of Guy's assistants with Fairbanks connections would get a look at? Jason Lammers also has ECAC knowledge and I believe he wants to be a head coach somewhere! I'll go so far as to bet he'll put his name in the hat!
                              Last edited by Schlacker Rat; 04-30-2011, 12:34 AM.
                              Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrJersey View Post
                                I have no idea what coaches in the ECAC are paid. I know that these things are speculative, but does anyone have any idea what type of remuneration package would be dangled in front of someone to start up a program like Penn State's.
                                The average ECAC HC probably makes about $150K. I've heard rumors that the Penn State job was going to be a jawdropper, approaching $400K.

Comment

Working...
                                X