YOUR POWER RANKINGS!: Hockey East Head Coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YOUR POWER RANKINGS!: Hockey East Head Coaches

With two new guys in town, lets evaluate opinions on the strength of the current head coaches.

I shall start.

1. York
    2. Parker
    3. Dennehey

Dennehey is the most impressive coach right now, IMO. But tenure, if for no other reason, I can't leapfrog him over Parker.
    4. Umile
    5. Leaman

The only thing more impressive than what Dennehey did at Mack is what Leaman did with Union. The fact that he didn't even honeymoon his Penrose before jumping on the first Hockey East offer he got, and knowing he has past ties to Maine, really ticks me off that we weren't in position to make an offer. Thank you, Blake James. Your legacy lives on.
    6. Cronin
    The recent issues dropped his stock a little bit. He's brought a lot to the table at NU, and I may otherwise have him contending with Umile for that 4 spot.
    7. Sneddon
    Don't focus solely on last year.
    8. Whitehead
    That 2002 Penrose is not only out of sight, but a big joke. I'm pretty sure I could have stepped onto Shawn's bench that year and 'won a few games' while never saying a word. Give anyone in the top 5 of this list the roster he had this year....think most of them would miss the postseason?
    9. Cahoon
    10. Bazin

Sorry bud, for now you're the 'other' new guy, and you've got your work cut out for you. Good luck.

Re: YOUR POWER RANKINGS!: Hockey East Head Coaches

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
    With two new guys in town, lets evaluate opinions on the strength of the current head coaches.

I shall start.

1. York
    2. Parker
    3. Dennehey

Dennehey is the most impressive coach right now, IMO. But tenure, if for no other reason, I can't leapfrog him over Parker.
    4. Umile
    5. Leaman

The only thing more impressive than what Dennehey did at Mack is what Leaman did with Union. The fact that he didn't even honeymoon his Penrose before jumping on the first Hockey East offer he got, and knowing he has past ties to Maine, really ticks me off that we weren't in position to make an offer. Thank you, Blake James. Your legacy lives on.
    6. Cronin
    The recent issues dropped his stock a little bit. He's brought a lot to the table at NU, and I may otherwise have him contending with Umile for that 4 spot.
    7. Sneddon
    Don't focus solely on last year.
    8. Whitehead
    That 2002 Penrose is not only out of sight, but a big joke. I'm pretty sure I could have stepped onto Shawn's bench that year and 'won a few games' while never saying a word. Give anyone in the top 5 of this list the roster he had this year....think most of them would miss the postseason?
    9. Cahoon
    10. Bazin

Sorry bud, for now you're the 'other' new guy, and you've got your work cut out for you. Good luck.
    1. York
    2. Leaman
    3. Cronin
    4. Dennehy
    5. Umile
    6. Parker
    7. Bazin
    8. Sneddon
    9. Whitehead
    10. Cahoon

Comment

as far as ranking which coach is the most powerful cro dawg by a mile. his arms are the size of sequoia trees.

as far as which coach is best...

1.york
      2.dennehy
      3.leaman
      4.cronin
      5.umile
      6.parker
      7.sneddon
      8.bazin
      9.whitehead
      10.cahoon
      Arenas Attended
      Matthews Arena
      Agganis Arena
      Tsongas Arena
      Lawler Arena
      Schneider Arena
      Mullins Center
      TD Banknorth Garden
      Conte Forum
      Whittemore Center
      Gutterson Fieldhouse
      Alfond Arena
      Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

1.) York - far and away.
        2.) Umile - forget NCAA, he consistently puts UNH at the top of HE no matter who comes and goes
        3.) Leaman - iffy, this season was impressive, but one season doesn't make a carear
        4.) Sneddon - horrible season last season but took a mid pack EZAC team and made them a competitive HE mid pack team
        5.) Dennehy - If he has a decent year this year he moves to #3, but one great recruiting gem doesn't make you a great coach....just lucky
        6.) Parker - when he takes his meds he is #2, when he doesn't he's #9 = average it out for #6
        7.) Cronin - hard to tell, gets a lot out of an average team, an average amount out of a good team. wait and see
        8.) Bazin - Can't be any worse then the rest
        9.) Whitehead - Timmay gets 9 by attrition. Tim take your crayons, put on your helmet and take the short bus back to where you came from.
        10.) Toot - his nickname says it all. He isn't even a turdnugget... just a toot. Anyone wonder why he still has a job?
        Last edited by jcarter7669; 04-23-2011, 01:35 PM. Reason: Someone didn't like "contender"
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          took a mid pack EZAC team and made them a typical HE contender
          You must have been laughing as you wrote this.

Comment

The only two obvious ones to me are York at #1 and Cahoon in last. Both of those are easy picks. After that it's kind of like a who cares situation.

I can't possibly even rate Leaman or Bazin yet.

Trending up: Cronin, Dennehy (and Leaman, Bazin as new hires).
            Trending down: Parker, Cahoon, Whitehead (and maybe Sneddon?)
            No trending: Umile and York.
            Underrated: Umile
            Overrated: Parker, Toot
            Originally posted by reBlur
            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              1. York
              2. Leaman
              Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
              3.leaman
              Originally posted by blocked moron 69 View Post
              3.) Leaman -
              hmmm.. before we start sucking on each other's popsicles...
              this guy went 138-127-35 over 8 years (or 91-105-25 over his first six) playing in a league that isn't the worst only because CHA/AHA exist.
              and i'm not ready to give him over-the-top credit for the last two just because he found a goalie either. his last efforts include getting bounced in a 2/3 series vs toothpaste at home for crying out loud!!
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                The only two obvious ones to me are York at #1 and Cahoon in last. Both of those are easy picks. After that it's kind of like a who cares situation.

I can't possibly even rate Leaman or Bazin yet.

Trending up: Cronin, Dennehy (and Leaman, Bazin as new hires).
                Trending down: Parker, Cahoon, Whitehead (and maybe Sneddon?)
                No trending: Umile and York.
                Underrated: Umile
                Overrated: Parker, Toot
                I agree with this. At the risk of being called a fanboy for the 117th time, I don't think Parker has trended down enough to be ranked sixth, which is where three people in this thread have put him. I mean, how often does BU finish outside the top four? Never mind sixth or worse. Now the typical retort might be, "Well yeah, because he can get top recruits pretty much at will." OK... and why is that? He's not the only reason for it, but he's certainly a pretty big one. I think recruiting has to be a part of these rankings because it's part of being a head coach (a big part, in fact).

Personal opinion based on what I've seen:

1) York
                2) Parker
                3) Umile
                4) Sneddon
                5) Dennehy (clearly the guy moving up this list the fastest, but let's see if he can make Merrimack a consistent contender before we launch him into top-3 territory)
                6) Cronin
                7) Leaman
                8) Whitehead
                9) Cahoon
                10) Bazin (we have literally nothing to go on in terms of him being a D-I coach, so he's 10 by default)
                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

It seems like Parker is past his peek. I mean just on reputation alone any one who can manage talent can coach at BU. Unlike most of the other schools in HE BU can recruit just on brand name alone. If your a BU fan anything less than an NCAA tournament win/ HE (reg or tournament) title should be considered a disappointment.

As far as Cahoon is concerned how is UMASS not near the top every year? They have a school that is willing to invest in the program, have a top notch facility, and have a fan base that is just dieing to be competitive and support the program. They could be to HE what Minn was to the WCHA. With over 100K+ alumni in Boston area alone they should be a dominate school.

York is just the best coach in HE no one is even close. He has built BC into a national power. He has made it the biggest sport on campus among the students which is an accomplishment considering it is a BCS school and plays home games in football against Miami and Notre Dame and hosts games against UNC and Duke. Simply amazing what he has done for that program.

Umile. Impressive keeping UNH in the hunt every year. However until he wins a national title UNH will be looked over. It might not be fair but that is just the way it is.

Cronin. Jury is still out on him. He has shown great promise for Northeastern and turning them around but hes been there 6 years now right? He has not had a Beanpot title, FF apperance, or HE title to his record yet. I know he can recruit well but can he actually follow through and produce a meaningful result?

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                    As far as Cahoon is concerned how is UMASS not near the top every year? They have a school that is willing to invest in the program, have a top notch facility, and have a fan base that is just dieing to be competitive and support the program.
                    I haven't been to a UMass game in a few years, but I never saw a well-attended game. And the Maine fans were louder if not more numerous.
                    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

I have been there when its a near sell out and it can be intense. With the football move to FBS they will be the biggest sport "on campus".

Comment

It seems like Parker is past his peek. I mean just on reputation alone any one who can manage talent can coach at BU. Unlike most of the other schools in HE BU can recruit just on brand name alone. If your a BU fan anything less than an NCAA tournament win/ HE (reg or tournament) title should be considered a disappointment.

As far as Cahoon is concerned how is UMASS not near the top every year? They have a school that is willing to invest in the program, have a top notch facility, and have a fan base that is just dieing to be competitive and support the program. They could be to HE what Minn was to the WCHA. With over 100K+ alumni in Boston area alone they should be a dominate school.

York is just the best coach in HE no one is even close. He has built BC into a national power. He has made it the biggest sport on campus among the students which is an accomplishment considering it is a BCS school and plays home games in football against Miami and Notre Dame and hosts games against UNC and Duke. Simply amazing what he has done for that program.

Umile. Impressive keeping UNH in the hunt every year. However until he wins a national title UNH will be looked over. It might not be fair but that is just the way it is.

Cronin. Jury is still out on him. He has shown great promise for Northeastern and turning them around but hes been there 6 years now right? He has not had a Beanpot title, FF apperance, or HE title to his record yet. I know he can recruit well but can he actually follow through and produce a meaningful result?
                        The Mullins is a dump. Have you ever been there?
                        Let's go Lowell.

Comment

I mean just on reputation alone any one who can manage talent can coach at BU. Unlike most of the other schools in HE BU can recruit just on brand name alone.
                          There are a lot of dumb things said on these threads, and these 2 comments rank right up there at the top of the heap. Congratulations.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            hmmm.. before we start sucking on each other's popsicles...
                            this guy went 138-127-35 over 8 years (or 91-105-25 over his first six) playing in a league that isn't the worst only because CHA/AHA exist.
                            and i'm not ready to give him over-the-top credit for the last two just because he found a goalie either. his last efforts include getting bounced in a 2/3 series vs toothpaste at home for crying out loud!!
                            He took a team that even EZAC members thought was a joke and put them where they are now. He'll be fine. For toothpaste's successes, I blame Clarkson (SUCKS!).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              For toothpaste's successes, I blame Clarkson (SUCKS!).
                              Why?
                              Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Working...
                              X