X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realignment Rumors

So far, I've seen two.

Rumor #1 From Dan Myers over on CHN in his blog

Now, reports are circulating that the two leagues may fracture even more, as reported by Kevin Pates of the Duluth News Tribune. According to the report, the buzz at the Frozen Four was around the formation of a new, six-team league featuring DU, UND, Miami, Notre Dame, CC and Nebraska-Omaha.
    Rumor #2 From the Thursday night Frozen Four chat, courtesy of Chris Lerch (and I am summarizing).

Liberty Hockey League consisting of Clarkson, St. Lawrence, RPI, Union, RIT and Colgate.
    Neither are "confirmed" rumors, just perhaps somebody's jottings on a cocktail napkin that was left on some press room table. However, methinks these are seismic waves that may be the precursor to the big shakeup.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Realignment Rumors

Actually, I've been wondering about major shifts across the country as there are some very unusual OOC games so far for next season's schedules. I've thought they looked as if teams were feeling out unusual opponents to see what could work in the future.

Oh, and there have been distant rumblings about ND joining HE.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post

Not happening.

How are they going to work autobids? You can't hand out eight of them, especially with some of these new "leagues" being mediocre at best.
      time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
        Not happening.

How are they going to work autobids? You can't hand out eight of them, especially with some of these new "leagues" being mediocre at best.
        NCAA By-laws state that you need a minimum of 6 teams to get an AQ. Nothing about quality. If it shakes out with 8 AQ's that means 1/2 the field is AQ and 1/2 the field is At-Large. I'm OK with that.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

These rumors seemed to be more and more farfetched.
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            If it shakes out with 8 AQ's that means 1/2 the field is AQ and 1/2 the field is At-Large. I'm OK with that.
            FWIW, the NCAA Basketball Tournament is rougly 1/2 and 1/2 (31 AQs, 37 at-large).

If having 8 conferences means that the sport grows to 65-70 programs, I'm all for it.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
              I hope so. A conference without UNO, DU, CC, and UND would kill off MTU, UAA and likely MSUM.
              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

At least the Liberty Hockey League rumor is pretty much just a recycle of the age-old rumor of the Ivies splitting off of the ECAC. Just swap Quinnipiac for RIT and you've got it.

Edit: Hey, while we're throwing **** on the wall to see what sticks- might as well just throw in the other Patriot League schools with Colgate (Holy Cross, Army... Navy?) and have a Liberty-Patriot Hockey League.
                Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 04-20-2011, 12:31 AM.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post

Supposedly the "Super Six Conference" would have an interlocking schedule with Hockey East.

You can bet that the coaching shake-ups and rumors this offseason are tied to possible realignment.
                  Last edited by dggoddard; 04-20-2011, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Goon’s World Hypocrisy – Goon has been crying about the Big Ten HC for months now saying how much it will hurt smaller teams in the CCHA and WCHA and how it’s just bad for college hockey in general. Fast forward to this week when there have been rumors of a possible conference of CC, DU, UND, ND, MIA, and UNO….he writes a post how UND should jump at that chances and how great it would be….that’s hilarious to me because it shows he’s true thoughts about power conferences….he is obviously worried about what the BTHC will do to the WCHA and instead of admitting that he tried to play it off as it will just hurt college hockey in general but all mighty powerful UND will be just fine in the WCHA….funny how he changed his mind about bolting to a new conference though after a rumor surfaced. Guess Loony Goony isn’t worried about the small college hockey schools after all and was just worried about his Susie’s in the new watered down WCHA! I love nothing more than watching Susie's fans squirm and lie to themselves because they don't want to admit what a great thing the Gophs and Sconi will have when the Big Ten starts!

I can’t wait until 2013 when the BTHC dominates college hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by RinkPig View Post

I can’t wait until 2013 when the BTHC dominates college hockey!
                      Because clearly those teams dominated this year!!!
                      Last edited by peten16; 04-20-2011, 09:44 AM.
                      Arenas I have been to in (chronological order):

Munn Arena: Michigan State
                      Norris Center/Abel Arena: Lake Superior
                      MacInnes Arena: Mich Tech
                      Yost Arena: U-Mich
                      Lakeview Arena: Nothern Mich
                      Ewigleben Arena: Ferris State
                      Lawson Arena: Western Mich.
                      Mariucci Arena ('nuff said)
                      Verizon Wireless Center: MN State
                      Joyce Center: Notre Dame
                      Berry Events Center: Northern Mich
                      Matthews Arena: Northeastern

Comment

And also, a conference as far flung as UMD & DU and Miami makes no ****ed sense. It won't happen. UND, while the current champ are not yet a premier program like Miami or ND. They are not going to double their travel budget to play a team that does not even have their own arena.
                        Arenas I have been to in (chronological order):

Munn Arena: Michigan State
                        Norris Center/Abel Arena: Lake Superior
                        MacInnes Arena: Mich Tech
                        Yost Arena: U-Mich
                        Lakeview Arena: Nothern Mich
                        Ewigleben Arena: Ferris State
                        Lawson Arena: Western Mich.
                        Mariucci Arena ('nuff said)
                        Verizon Wireless Center: MN State
                        Joyce Center: Notre Dame
                        Berry Events Center: Northern Mich
                        Matthews Arena: Northeastern

Comment

The most preposterous thing about the proposed MIA, NDAME, NDAK, UNO, CC, DU conference is the fact that, other than Denver-CC and Miami-Notre Dame, every road trip is 499 miles or more, with 60% of trips over 800 miles. That doesn't seem too cost effective.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by peten16 View Post
                            And also, a conference as far flung as UMD & DU and Miami makes no ****ed sense. It won't happen. UND, while the current champ are not yet a premier program like Miami or ND. They are not going to double their travel budget to play a team that does not even have their own arena.
                            The current champ is UMD, as in Minnesota-Duluth. The ND's here are Notre Dame and North Dakota.

And what does it matter if the team has its own arena or not? Of the six teams mentioned, four have their own on campus facilities, while Nebraska-Omaha plays at the Qwest Center, which is a great facility. UNO also has plans underway to build their own facility on campus.
                            Last edited by davyd83; 04-20-2011, 09:55 AM.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                              Supposedly the "Super Six Conference" would have an interlocking schedule with Hockey East.

You can bet that the coaching shake-ups and rumors this offseason are tied to possible realignment.
                              The real question is what does UND believe is best for UND. My fear is that the teams left out in the west will be in serious trouble in an unstable situation. Expansion will only occur with stable conferences, not with conferences where teams are always on the verge of folding the program.

Comment

Working...
                              X