Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First the Big 10, then how about the Mid-American Conference Hockey League.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First the Big 10, then how about the Mid-American Conference Hockey League.

With the addition of UMass to the MAC in 2012 could the MAC possibly break off and form a new D1 Hockey League and get an autobid? Miami, Bowling Green, Western Michigan and now UMass-Amherst. Could Buffalo and Northern Illinois or one of the other Directional Michigan teams add hockey to make that the case?

Re: First the Big 10, then how about the Mid-American Conference Hockey League.

Very unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
      With the addition of UMass to the MAC in 2012 could the MAC possibly break off and form a new D1 Hockey League and get an autobid? Miami, Bowling Green, Western Michigan and now UMass-Amherst. Could Buffalo and Northern Illinois or one of the other Directional Michigan teams add hockey to make that the case?
      Why would UMass-Amherst want to substitute plane trips for bus rides for their conference games? There's a lot more to conference affiliation than the existence of the autobid. If there weren't we'd have a bunch of six team conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
        Why would UMass-Amherst want to substitute plane trips for bus rides for their conference games? There's a lot more to conference affiliation than the existence of the autobid. If there weren't we'd have a bunch of six team conferences.
        It's all about the green $$$.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

I don't think it is likely myself but just put it out there for discussion due to the changing landscape because of the Big10. However should some of those other MAC schools decide to go with hockey it probably would be a decent idea since the CCHA would no longer be the same anyway.

Comment

Dear lord I hope not.

Comment

No.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

UMASS would never leave HE unless they where forced to. They would have much higher travel costs and would not get as much revenue in terms of tickets sales and league revenue as they would/will be getting in HE. I know HE the HE tourney may not be as big as the WCHA tourney but it isn't a slouch and probably brings in some $. Plus a move to such a conference as you suggest would hurt them in terms of recruiting. The only conference that could force them to do anything is the A10 since that is the main conference and they don't give a dam about hockey since UMASS is the only school to sponsor it.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                  Why would UMass-Amherst want to substitute plane trips for bus rides for their conference games? There's a lot more to conference affiliation than the existence of the autobid.
                  Why did TCU join the Big East? How is that a 'fit' in any way?

Can you say "Bee Cee Ess" in football?
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Apples and wrenches....
                    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                    Originally posted by Quizmire
                    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

My dong bears a closer resemblance to the situation with UMass and the MAC than the Big East/TCU situation does.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        My dong bears a closer resemblance to the situation with UMass and the MAC than the Big East/TCU situation does.
                        Can you prove that? On second thought . . .

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Financially speaking, there is a big difference in football games with 50-70,000 fans and hockey games with 4,000.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            Financially speaking, there is a big difference in football games with 50-70,000 fans and hockey games with 4,000.
                            Not to mention, objectivity vs. subjectivity in determining a national champion. They're moving to the Big East so they won't be seen as cupcakes when they go undefeated.

First poster to bring up KRACH in response to what I said gets a cookie.

Comment

Only UMass football is going into the MAC. The other teams will be in the A-10 still. If the school was moving all of its sports that would be a different story.

Comment

Working...
                              X