• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking News:George Roll Out at Clarkson

From the Watertown (N.Y.) Daily Times:

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/section/breakingnews

Greg Dreschel also fired.

I'll try to change the link when it moves onto the main site.

Also,the story below it references the very sad and strange death of a SUNY Canton hockey player.

RIP Cory.
    It's a shame that the level that these kids play at on the ice can't be replicated by the effort of the officials.-FireKnight

Re: Breaking News:George Roll Out at Clarkson

Ron Rolston possible replacement.

Comment

If they don't play that around campus they aren't as smart as they try to claim.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Having known Coach Roll in dealing with him when I went to Oswego, I was disappointed. However, I'm not surprised. The late season collapse cost him his job. Hope he lands on his feet somewhere else.
        Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
          Having known Coach Roll in dealing with him when I went to Oswego, I was disappointed. However, I'm not surprised. The late season collapse cost him his job. Hope he lands on his feet somewhere else.
          George will be fine. He's one of the good guys.

Comment

Bring Mo home !

Comment

It is well known in Clarkson circles that George and Greg were offered another year in February. The Knights were doing pretty well at the time...then a slide happened and the grumbling and mumblings ensued and both the AD and President were busy listening to these rantings of a few alums and other assorted "experts" in the Potsdam hockey world... So goes the DI coaching world...Noone's word is worth a nickle.

Take a moment to look at this post from the Clarkson roundtable:

a point of view

This is my 1st post of any kind and I apologize right up front for the length. I have been an avid Clarkson hockey fan for the past 9 years since my son was recruited, played , and subsequently graduated from Clarkson. The recent coaching changes have motivated me to make a comment and offer another opinion.

I have been a team doctor and taken care of elite college and professional athletes for most of my professional life, 24 years. I have witnessed many coaches from a very close position and without question George Roll and Greg Drechsel are two of the finest coaches/men I have observed. They possess 3 special qualities: honesty, integrity, and most importantly a genuine caring for the players not only as players but as developing young men. This is evidenced by a 98% graduation rate and, I know on a personal level ,many players had great fondness, admiration and enjoyed playing for them and being a part of Clarkson Hockey.

I am not na�ve, however. Sports at this level is all about wins and losses and the question �what have you done for me lately?� is not a clich� but reality. It should be remembered that prior to the most recent years, these coaches guided Clarkson Hockey to one ECAC regular season championship, an ECAC tournament championship, and 2 consecutive NCAA tournament bids (one at-large).

I am saddened by their dismissal and this just represents another example of what is wrong in NCAA Division I sports. Being fine role models and men of character is simply not enough. I wish them the very best and I am sure they will have success elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by justlookin' View Post
                It is well known in Clarkson circles that George and Greg were offered another year in February. The Knights were doing pretty well at the time...then a slide happened and the grumbling and mumblings ensued and both the AD and President were busy listening to these rantings of a few alums and other assorted "experts" in the Potsdam hockey world... So goes the DI coaching world...Noone's word is worth a nickle.

a point of view

This is my 1st post of any kind and I apologize right up front for the length. I have been an avid Clarkson hockey fan for the past 9 years since my son was recruited, played , and subsequently graduated from Clarkson. The recent coaching changes have motivated me to make a comment and offer another opinion.

I have been a team doctor and taken care of elite college and professional athletes for most of my professional life, 24 years. I have witnessed many coaches from a very close position and without question George Roll and Greg Drechsel are two of the finest coaches/men I have observed. They possess 3 special qualities: honesty, integrity, and most importantly a genuine caring for the players not only as players but as developing young men. This is evidenced by a 98% graduation rate and, I know on a personal level ,many players had great fondness, admiration and enjoyed playing for them and being a part of Clarkson Hockey.

I am not na�ve, however. Sports at this level is all about wins and losses and the question �what have you done for me lately?� is not a clich� but reality. It should be remembered that prior to the most recent years, these coaches guided Clarkson Hockey to one ECAC regular season championship, an ECAC tournament championship, and 2 consecutive NCAA tournament bids (one at-large).

I am saddened by their dismissal and this just represents another example of what is wrong in NCAA Division I sports. Being fine role models and men of character is simply not enough. I wish them the very best and I am sure they will have success elsewhere.
                I'm not a Clarkson fan. However, your words and perspective on how a Division 1 program should be conducted is "spot on" in my opinion. You have a rational approach to Division 1 athletics and it's role of graduating students and being a leader and developer of young men. Winning is important, but it's about doing it the right way as you so well stated.

Comment

Originally posted by justlookin' View Post

a point of view

The best post I have read anywhere on this message board! They are not the only coaches who have fell victim to the "rantings" of fans, including alumni.....and sometimes these fans and alumni don't have a clue.......just an opinion. (Sometimes their "rantings" are justified....not in this case)Yet, we are all entitled to our opinions. It's the idiot administrators that listen.

The other point is that Coach Roll was told (which I know in speaking to Coach Roll in February), by the gutless AD that he would be renewed after the season.

With the internet and wealth of information, the leaking of information of players from the locker room to parents who post on this board, if you are going to coach, you better win, win, win, win, win. Then when you do win, you become a victim of your own success. What a profession!!!

Sorry for the rant.
                  Last edited by hockeymascot; 04-20-2011, 08:17 PM.
                  Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Having recently been in a similar predicament (and frankly are sort of still in that predicament with some RPI fans), I have also come to realize that for the students it's about getting a quality education and preparing them for their future, whether or not it is in hockey. Based upon Coach Roll's graduation record and that he's been getting players to the NHL, he's done a very good job with this. It's sad that winning is what gets the school money (in the form of ticket sales and advertisements), but it's a fact that needs to be realized. At least it isn't like a certain school in another sport that fires their coach for losing a rivalry game three years in a row.

Comment

Huh. If Joe Marsh lost EVERY game to Farkson for 3 years in a row . . . nobody would have to fire him. I believe the sky would, well, fall; the St. Lawrence River would run dry; Ontario would annex Quebec; the Laughs would win the Cup. Etc.

Comment

If the report about the AD going back on his word is true, then I am very disappointed. I just think his young team hit a wall and were gassed at the end of the year. The building blocks were there, and I thought they had a chance to do well next year.
                        Twitter: DanMountSports
                        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by apple2k View Post
                          Huh. If Joe Marsh lost EVERY game to Farkson for 3 years in a row . . . nobody would have to fire him. I believe the sky would, well, fall; the St. Lawrence River would run dry; Ontario would annex Quebec; the Laughs would win the Cup. Etc.
                          Plenty of Clarkson players have gone undefeated over 3 years to SLU. NO Clarkson player has gone 4 years without losing at least once to SLU.

But when you have a long tenure at a school (March, Parker, Umile, & York -- Beaney over @ Midd), then there are allowances for bad years. I like George, but he had not yet approached legend status. 3 straight losing years @ some schools is old hat. It is not something expected (or it seems tolerated) at Clarkson.

But why wait 6 weeks? Unless there were negotiations over an extension that broke down, it's a bit late and sends a message that the school does not have it's you know what together.

I will point out, that Clarkson's hockey team has been playing at the level of its other sports teams. Other play-ups seems to have good D-III sports programs as well as a D-I hockey team. Except for an odd season here and there, Clarkson's D-III sports are not good.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

All well and good with the stories. Where is this going?
                            Lee man and Guy are both gone ( Penn State , scary ) who is in the pipe line?

Comment

Current openings (alphabetically)

Clarkson
                              Michigan Tech
                              Princeton

and according to CHN, maybe Northeastern.

IMO, we're not going to get a lifer. We're going to get a first timer who is looking to CCT as a stepping stone to something bigger / better.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X