Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighting Sioux to fight on...For one more year at least.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fighting Sioux to fight on...For one more year at least.

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    When an overwhelming majority of Sioux members ...
    In "honoring" the fine aboriginal people of your state might you not at least use the name which they call themselves instead of the name forced upon them by an ancient enemy and propagated by the occupiers who nearly wiped them from existence by genocide?

Yes, I know Lakota people often refer to themselves as Sioux. When they speak English. Otherwise, not so much. Be a pal to the indigenous people of the state and show some respect.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      Why do you care?
      Because human rights are of interest to me. Because people related to and from my ancestral lands took it upon themselves to systematically exterminate a people and culture that wasn't "warrior-like" but instead peaceful.

How do we use the name for racism? By simply having student athletes who display hardwork, leadership, dedication, drive, and PRIDE in be named the Fighting Sioux?
      There is but one legitimate sign of a racist act. And that is to query the person(s) to/at whom the act was directed.

Comment

Someone please remind me why the name Sioux (Fighting was added later) was chosen in 1930. What were those reasons they "honor" the Sioux? Something about being good for exterminating Bison, being warlike and that it is easily rhymed for yells and songs. Now thats how you honor a people who didn't even regularly refer to themselves as Sioux, a name given them by the whites that lumped toghether many different nations.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Know that - I live in ACC country. But among the BCS conferences, the SEC is first amongst equals. That conference can do anything, get caught with its hands in the cookie jar, and pretty much escape with only a slap on the wrist.

If the NCAA found ANY violation at UND, you can bet your bottom dollar that the ICBM's would be flying @ Grand Forks.
          The NCAA never looks for violations. It is up to an inquisitive local news media, or a snitch to report an activity to the NCAA. This is why so many crooked programs get away with stuff, if no one tells the NCAA never finds out. One of the reasons Haskins got caught is because the NBA had a lockout, and the non-local Pioneer Press reporter had nothing better to do that run down some rumors. If no one on the local paper wants to risk his job, many schools get away with stuff for years.
          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            In "honoring" the fine aboriginal people of your state might you not at least use the name which they call themselves instead of the name forced upon them by an ancient enemy and propagated by the occupiers who nearly wiped them from existence by genocide?

Yes, I know Lakota people often refer to themselves as Sioux. When they speak English. Otherwise, not so much. Be a pal to the indigenous people of the state and show some respect.
            Spirit Lake Sioux are Santee or Dakota, not Lakota. Nice try though.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

You better get wikipedia to change then, because they list all kinds of Lakota in ND.

Comment

Dakota and Lakota were defacto interchangeable in the original languages.

So there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                  You better get wikipedia to change then, because they list all kinds of Lakota in ND.
                  I can't speak for what's on wikipedia, but there are some Lakota in North Dakota, but the majority are further west and south (think Montana and South Dakota). The Spirit Lake Sioux are Santee or Dakota.
                  North Dakota

Comment

Dakota and Lakota were defacto interchangeable in the original languages.

So there's that.
                    Interesting, considering that they are two different tribes. Santee is the better term, but they are also referred to as Dakota. There is also Nakota, along with Lakota. They are each different tribes.
                    North Dakota

Comment

I can't speak for what's on wikipedia, but there are some Lakota in North Dakota, but the majority are further west and south (think Montana and South Dakota). The Spirit Lake Sioux are Santee or Dakota.
                      Wikipedia also isn't a credited source, as it can be edited and added to by anyone.
                      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Be a man. Fess up. You have zero interest in Native American culture and/or history except as it applies to the identity you acquired through a lifetime of propagandized use of imagery and language by the freaking hockey team to which your entire personage seems to be defined.

You only care because they are taking away YOUR traditional usage. Recognition that YOUR traditional usage is indeed hostile, abusive and demeaning means nothing to you. You could care less about the peoples you defend as being "honored". You don't want to change the name because "Sioux" were good at killing "Bison".

End of story.

Comment

Be a man. Fess up. You have zero interest in Native American culture and/or history except as it applies to the identity you acquired through a lifetime of propagandized use of imagery and language by the freaking hockey team to which your entire personage seems to be defined.

You only care because they are taking away YOUR traditional usage. Recognition that YOUR traditional usage is indeed hostile, abusive and demeaning means nothing to you. You could care less about the peoples you defend as being "honored". You don't want to change the name because "Sioux" were good at killing "Bison".

End of story.
                          This is fantastic. You don't know me, but I will enlighten you on MY background. I'm originally from Minot, North Dakota. I went to the University of North Dakota, majored in History, with minors in Indian Studies, English and Religion. When I was there, my roommate my freshman year was Native American. I then went to the University of Colorado and received my doctorate in History. I will be attending the University of Denver Sturm College of Law either this fall, or Fall of 2012. I currently teach History at a private school in the Denver area, and am a freelance web developer.

End of Story.
                          North Dakota

Comment

This is fantastic. You don't know me, but I will enlighten you on MY background. I'm originally from Minot, North Dakota. I went to the University of North Dakota, majored in History, with minors in Indian Studies, English and Religion. When I was there, my roommate my freshman year was Native American. I then went to the University of Colorado and received my doctorate in History. I will be attending the University of Denver Sturm College of Law either this fall, or Fall of 2012. I currently teach History at a private school in the Denver area, and am a freelance web developer.

End of Story.
                            Looks like you've got 'em there!
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

End of story.
                              Who are you to tell him who he is?
                              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

End of Story.

that sounds like alot of schooling, without much real job potential, other than government work, that is.

Comment

Working...
                                X