Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighting Sioux to fight on...For one more year at least.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fighting Sioux to fight on...For one more year at least.

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
    Why not attempt to offer counterpoints to his points? Is it because you have none or is it because you're halfway through your latest bottle of Johnny Walker?
    Pot meet kettle. For the most part you come on her and spew insults which completely undermine any point you are trying to make weather it is valid or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeo View Post
      Pot meet kettle. For the most part you come on her and spew insults which completely undermine any point you are trying to make weather it is valid or not.
      Incorrect, I made my salient points regarding the issue. I answered any and all legitimate questions and even a couple of illegitimate questions. Any insults I've spewed have been responses to outright racist posts or in response to insults directed at me. Again ... I AM NOT the issue. The issue is at hand is UND nickname and logo.
      Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-20-2011, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Incorrect, I made my salient points regarding the issue. I answered any and all legitimate questions and even a couple of illegitimate questions. Any insults I've spewed have been responses to outright racist posts or in response to insults directed at me. Again ... I AM NOT the issue. The issue is at hand is UND nickname and logo.
        Why not attempt to offer counterpoints to his points? Is it because you have none or is it because you're halfway through your latest bottle of Johnny Walker?
        So you are allowed to call someone out but I am not? Your defense of "I can call people names because they called me names" does not change the fact that it still makes you and your posts look childish.

If you want to get back on subject fine. The people of North Dakota, white and American Indian, will work this out with zero input for either of us which is how it should be. Some of the Sioux tribe members are in support some are against. They can voice their opinions just fine without you rushing to their aid.

Comment

Originally posted by PCM View Post
          It depends on whether you think it's more important and significant for a university to provide services and educational opporuntities for hundereds American Indians every year or to simply arrive at an arrangement that enables a university to continue using a particular tribe's name. You be the judge.
          How about both? Seems like Florida State pulled it off.

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            What part of me saying that native peoples of Alaska are self-sufficient was difficult for you? Did you go to SCSU or something? If you did then allow me to translate ... "They take care of themselves up here" ...
            What part of his question was difficult for you? He asked if you do anything (besides spout off on message boards) to help fight the oppression of native americans.
            You are the most arrogant person on these boards. You mischaracterize someone's argument, then follow it up by accusing them of not being able to comprehend your superior intellect. Beautiful.
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
              You are the most arrogant person on these boards. .
              your ingorance just kills me... what name do i have to come up with to get the recognition I deserve?

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                your ingorance just kills me... what name do i have to come up with to get the recognition I deserve?
                I'm convinced.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  Most Sioux are behind it? Really??? And most of the state is behind it...oh yeah, 90% of North Dakota is white, 6% are Native...yeah...we stole your land...we took your name for our hockey team...got anything else???

Here is a prior post:

XXX

This discussion is as old as the board. Hopefully this helps clarify the matter:

'The matter I speak of is the use of the "Fighting Sioux" nickname and mascot at UND. As you know we have taken three specific actions in the recent years regarding this matter as a government representing well over 10,000 members. The purpose of this letter is to respectfully remind your office and any other entities. Directly or indirectly associated with UND of our position. It is of course very simple and very clear, "Eliminate and stop the use of the 'Fighting Sioux' nickname and caricature today."

Standing Rock Sioux Tribe

VOTE: YES - 12 NO - 0 NOT VOTING - 1 MOTION CARRIED. 4 - EXCUSED RESOLUTION NO. 078-98

WHEREAS, the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe is an unincorporated Tribe of Indians, having accepted the Indian Reorganization Act of June 18, 1934, with the exception of Article 16; and the recognized governing body of the Tribe is known as the Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Council; and

WHEREAS the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe had issued Resolution No. 356-92 to demand that the University of North Dakota discontinue the use of the name and mascot of the "Fighting Sioux"; and

WHEREAS, the University Administration has stated in the past that such actions, like the racially insensitive ones of October 24, 1992, will not be tolerated on campus; and

WHEREAS the University is sending a Dual Message to the students of UND, by attempting to provide a quality education for its students, but subjects indigenous students, namely those of the Lakota/Dakota Peoples of North America, to continued racial actions, by not changing its "Sioux" and "Fighting Sioux" nicknames; and

NOW THEREFORE LET IT BE RESOLVED, the undersigned Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Council hereby reaffirms the Resolution of December 3, 1992, specifically that the University of North Dakota should discontinue the use of the "Fighting Sioux" nickname.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the foregoing resolution shall be effective on this date and shall remain in full force effect thereafter. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Chairman and the Secretary of the Tribal Council are hereby authorized and instructed to sign this resolution for and on behalf of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.

Standing Rock Tribe

I send you greetings from the Sisseton-Wahpeton Sioux Tribe and its 10,207 Members. The Lake Traverse Reservation has lands in both states of North and South Dakota

The first matter of concern I wish to apprise you of is our support for those efforts that have been ongoing to see the change and elimination of such a nickname. The reason, of course, is simple: Use of a race of people as a nickname or mascot is totally unacceptable and only leads to the dehumanization of their Being, Culture, history and Children.

Sisseton-Wahpeton Sioux Tribe

Our position and I convey respectfully to you is that to stop the use of the "fighting Sioux" mascot and moniker at the University of North Dakota today. As we enter a new century there isn't any justifiable reason to continue to dehumanize a race of people, their history, their culture, and their children today. As a member of this race of people, and as President of the Oglala Sioux Tribe with an estimated population of 40,000, I ask your institution to stop the use of the "fighting Sioux" mascot and moniker.

Oglala Sioux Tribe

Finally, I state that only the Rosebud Sioux Tribe, its people (32,000) and government only speak for us on this matter. Please consider this message to your office and other entities so associated with UND as our position regarding the "fighting Sioux" nickname. We extend our support to those students and others who seek to stop the use of the "fighting Sioux" nickname.

Rosebud Tribe

From the land of the friendly people of the Seven Council Fires we send you greetings. This letter will reaffirm our position in a letter to Chairman Charles Murphy of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe; we hereby reiterate our opposition to the use of the "Fighting Sioux" nickname by the university of North Dakota. People and their culture should not be degraded to such use and we ask UND to "do the right thing" and change its "Fighting Sioux" nickname.

Yankton Sioux Tribe

Our position is simple in that we oppose the use of the nickname, and kindly request that UND stop immediately the use of the "Fighting Sioux" nickname and/or mascot. It is most offensive to know the use of this nickname, as I understand it results in racial remarks and acts, publicly, in particular at sports events made when UND teams compete.

Crow Creek Sioux Tribe

WHEREAS, the Cheyenne River Sioux Nation respectfully requests the University of North Dakota to do the moral and honorable thing, buy removing and discontinuing the use of the mascot name "the Fighting Sioux", now

THEREFORE LET IT BE RESOLVED, that the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe is respectfully requesting the University of North Dakota to do the moral and honorable thing by removing and discontinuing the use of the mascot name "the Fighting Sioux".

Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Mandan Hidatsa & Arikara Nation supports the aforementioned request to end the University of North Dakota's use of the "Fighting Sioux" name and its accompanying "Indian-head" symbol; and

FINALLY, BE IT RESOLVES, that Mandan Hidatsa & Arikara nation does hereby support this resolution in response to end the national use of stereotypical images that demean, rather than honor American Indian Nations.

Three Affiliated Tribes

XXXX

Sounds like overwhelming support for use of the Sioux name from the tribes!
                  Most are for it. These are from tribal councils, the tribes themselves have not voted on it. Standing Rock actually refused to let tribal members have a say. The current Chairman of Standing Rock is a nickname supporter and he won rather handily. They haven't visited the issue recently since there are more important things to worry about than UND's nickname.
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                    What part of his question was difficult for you? He asked if you do anything (besides spout off on message boards) to help fight the oppression of native americans.
                    Drunkenness is apparently rampant on this forum. The question was CLEARLY answered. Twice. Because the answer doesn't register with your alcohol soaked brain cells doesn't mean it wasn't answered.

Dear other USCHO fan forum members,
                    I implore you to cease imbibing so much alcohol. In the long term it can be damaging to a number of vital organs but in particular the liver. In the short term .. it clouds your reasoning abilities. If you have children, it could be sending them a signal that you might not want them to receive. Keep drinking if you must ... but please try to moderate it. But perhaps more timely and relevant to this place ... the less you drink and post here, the better off you'll be.

You are the most arrogant person on these boards. You mischaracterize someone's argument, then follow it up by accusing them of not being able to comprehend your superior intellect. Beautiful.
                    Incorrect ... KnowItAll is the most arrogant person on the board. If you weren't so drunk you'd realize that.

Comment

Hey brainbox .... Alaska is in the United States. And that isn't what you asked you dumbtwat. Here's what you asked in your second post in the thread ...

That was your question. And I answered it you vile malignancy even though it had NOTHING to do with the topic at hand and was nothing more than a transparent attempt to indict me somehow for my views ... which you lack sufficient cognitive ability to even attempt to refute.

Are you really so stupid that you forget what you wrote a couple of days ago is still there. ProTip for you: Everything you post on the interwebs stays on the interwebs.
                      does anyone else "get it"
                      that your time would be better spent serving at a soup kitchen or tutorin in an inner city than posting on an anonymous board?

reminds me of the "men against violence against women" holding their signs outside clint eastwood movies.
                      you have far too much free time and far too little "real problems"

Nanook is hostile and abusive... it unfairly objectifies the people from whom the word was unceremoneously stolen, in a vain attempt at "honoring" them... (see any dolt can make crap up)

also... Sioux... it is my understanding (and I know it ALL) that there are no Sioux, really... it is a nick name given by the French... why does anyone have standing to argue the use of a nickname?

don't bother answering... there is no reason or logic to a PC knee-jerk reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        Most are for it. These are from tribal councils, the tribes themselves have not voted on it. Standing Rock actually refused to let tribal members have a say. The current Chairman of Standing Rock is a nickname supporter and he won rather handily. They haven't visited the issue recently since there are more important thongs to worry about than UND's nickname.
                        Oh, you mean like unemployment, underemployment, alcoholism, fetal alcohol syndrome, TB, inferior educational opportunities and chronic mismanagement, just to name a few?

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                          Most are for it. These are from tribal councils, the tribes themselves have not voted on it. Standing Rock actually refused to let tribal members have a say. The current Chairman of Standing Rock is a nickname supporter and he won rather handily. They haven't visited the issue recently since there are more important things to worry about than UND's nickname.
                          This section of the resolution is a 100% refutation of your assertion ...
                          "BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the foregoing resolution shall be effective on this date and shall remain in full force effect thereafter. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Chairman and the Secretary of the Tribal Council are hereby authorized and instructed to sign this resolution for and on behalf of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe."
                          So there's that ...

Comment

If you listen very carefully, you can hear the stamping of little, tiny feet.

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                              This section of the resolution is a 100% refutation of your assertion ...

So there's that ...
                              Except they didn't have a tribal vote, which was my point. So, there's that.
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                                Oh, you mean like unemployment, underemployment, alcoholism, fetal alcohol syndrome, TB, inferior educational opportunities and chronic mismanagement, just to name a few?
                                you're just bein racist

and you know the old saying... never argue with an idiot, as an onlooker will have a hard time telling which one drives the green Hyundai
                                Last edited by KnowItAll; 04-20-2011, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X