Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mel Pearson-Michigan Tech's new Coach

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
    Take it for what it's worth, but Bob Miller at The Wolverine, who I know is very well connected, says he's hearing Mel to Tech is a done deal.

Bob Miller

Post #2526
    MyFanPage
    Add Buddy
    You may already know this (re: Mel)... Reply
    I've been on a tennis court working all morning and just got an email from a very good source that the deal with MTU is off. No details yet.

Posted on 4/18 11:31 AM | IP: Logged

Comment

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
      Take it for what it's worth, but Bob Miller at The Wolverine, who I know is very well connected, says he's hearing Mel to Tech is a done deal.
      sigh, conflicting everything I've heard today from Houghton. I hope it gets worked out but who knows.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        sigh, conflicting everything I've heard today from Houghton. I hope it gets worked out but who knows.
        I am sick that this may not happen. With no press conference annouced at this time makes me feel something has gone wrong.

Comment

Well, since this seems to be going about as well as Michigan State's coaches search...might as well start the rumors now...if it ain't Mel, it must be....

ECAC Commissioner and MTU Alum, Stephen Hagwell...

sigh
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Was the '03 coach search this speculative? If this goes on for another week or two, my head might explode.
            I don't feel that is was, but I think the current lack of success puts more focus on this search and coaching change. Sertich was a retirement so they just needed to find someone to "continue the growth". This is a situation where a lot of people are displeased and thus the search is more critically viewed in my opinion. Not that the hiring of Jamie wasn't a big deal, but people were not threating to jump off bridges at that time based on who was hired or not hired.

Aside - I'm really suprised that we have not heard of Jamie either being a cantidate or hired for someone else's staff yet.

Ryan J
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Aside - I'm really suprised that we have not heard of Jamie either being a cantidate or hired for someone else's staff yet.

Ryan J
              We have...Minnesota and Penn State

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                Bob Miller

Post #2526
                MyFanPage
                Add Buddy
                You may already know this (re: Mel)... Reply
                I've been on a tennis court working all morning and just got an email from a very good source that the deal with MTU is off. No details yet.

Posted on 4/18 11:31 AM | IP: Logged
                Uh-oh...Eric Rud or Cary Eades, where are you? This could be interesting.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Breaking ... Mel turned us down. Tech may try to sweeten the offer...
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Here is another thought - You have to imagine that Tech wants to sign a coach for a minimum of a 5 year deal. If Red told Mel "I'm outta here in 3 years..." and Mel asked that as part of his contract he could resign at any time, knowing he was taking the Tech job only to gain experiance until Michigan is available, do you think MTU would turn Mel down under those circumstances.

If Mel thinks he wants to return to Michigan when that job opens, then I think it is in MTU's best interest not to hire him for our coach. I think you have to assume that whoever you hire will do a great job and based on that, you don't want someone with happy feet who wants to bolt when their initial contract is up (or sooner) for greener pastures. This is why Dean would have also been a questionable cantidate in my opinion as well. He no longer has 10-20 years left in front of him as a coach. The Reds and Jo-Pas of the world are the exception, not the rule.

Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Re: Mel Pearson-Michigan Tech's new Coach

Good source too
                      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        Here is another thought - You have to imagine that Tech wants to sign a coach for a minimum of a 5 year deal. If Red told Mel "I'm outta here in 3 years..." and Mel asked that as part of his contract he could resign at any time, knowing he was taking the Tech job only to gain experiance until Michigan is available, do you think MTU would turn Mel down under those circumstances.

If Mel thinks he wants to return to Michigan when that job opens, then I think it is in MTU's best interest not to hire him for our coach. I think you have to assume that whoever you hire will do a great job and based on that, you don't want someone with happy feet who wants to bolt when their initial contract is up (or sooner) for greener pastures. This is why Dean would have also been a questionable cantidate in my opinion as well. He no longer has 10-20 years left in front of him as a coach. The Reds and Jo-Pas of the world are the exception, not the rule.

Ryan J
                        I agree, if he's going to be gone in 3 years, we don't want him.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Well, I hope nobody broke out the champagne over the weekend...

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            Well, since this seems to be going about as well as Michigan State's coaches search...might as well start the rumors now...if it ain't Mel, it must be....

ECAC Commissioner and MTU Alum, Stephen Hagwell...

sigh
                            Been a long time since there were any Jeffers Jets in program!
                            Last edited by davyd83; 04-18-2011, 11:27 AM.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Well, I hope nobody broke out the champagne over the weekend...
                              As long as this means that Cary Eades is now the top candidate, I'm OK with it. I've always thought we had a better chance at Eades than Pearson, since it looks like Hastol will be there for quite a while.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Well unfortunately information in advance gets people at home all riled up. Fade, you, jsr, and flashy need to keep your mouths shut next time please. I think the people in a2 talked him out of it. this is really unfortunate.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X