Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mel Pearson-Michigan Tech's new Coach

Originally posted by yooper(UP) hockey View Post
    Hopefully, Mel will be signed for at least five years and tech will not have to worry about this?
    Assuming he takes our job, buying him out would be pocket change for U of M if they really wanted him back.

Comment

My list for Assistant Coaches:

1 Brian Renfrew(MSU assistant and may be let go)
      2 Danton Cole or any other USA hockey coaches conected to the Ann Arbor based program
      3 Ron Forgerty Head coach of Adrian D3 powerhouse and former assistant coach with Bowling Green
      4 Eric Rud (Coach Green Bay Gamblers) Former Asssistant with CC and St Cloud
      5 Joe S. assistant coach NMU
      6 Tim Blashill
      7 any others who might be associated with Mel

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        To try to offer you some brighter silver lining, Billy Powers has been an assistant down here for about 20 years now, too. One could call it a toss up between Mel and Billy, with Mel getting the edge. But if Mel takes this job, well...

Not that it means much, but could be a different version of reality if Mel becomes the new Tech head coach.
        No offense, but I can't see Michigan being turned over to Billy Powers especially in the the new conference. MY bet is Red is now planning on coaching well into the new leagues start and this finally gave Mel the number of years he was no longer willing to wait to coach his own program. I see Tech advancing rapidly with Mel at the helm.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
          No offense, but I can't see Michigan being turned over to Billy Powers especially in the the new conference. MY bet is Red is now planning on coaching well into the new leagues start and this finally gave Mel the number of years he was no longer willing to wait to coach his own program. I see Tech advancing rapidly with Mel at the helm.
          I can see UM turning the helm to Ron Rolston.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
            Whitten has been let go.
            Whitten may go back to MSU. I bet.

Comment

Originally posted by yooper(UP) hockey View Post
              I can see UM turning the helm to Ron Rolston.
              That actually seems like a pretty decent idea. I wouldn't be shocked if Rolston were on the list as a replacement if Pearson is indeed packing for Houghton.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I'm somewhat surprised on Whitten, I just talked to him last week. He had just gotten back from a recruiting trip. I think he was well liked by the players though I'm sure he will catch on somewhere quite quickly. Sorry to see him go.
                Maybe Powers is coming as well... wouldn't that be cool!.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  I'm somewhat surprised on Whitten, I just talked to him last week. He had just gotten back from a recruiting trip. I think he was well liked by the players though I'm sure he will catch on somewhere quite quickly. Sorry to see him go.
                  I should've said my sources say he has been. No official word yet. But, my guess is Pearson wants full control, top to bottom.
                  Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                  What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                    I should've said my sources say he has been. No official word yet. But, my guess is Pearson wants full control, top to bottom.
                    Pearson would have had the majority of the bargaining power in negotiating for the Tech job. Like I said in the other thread, I expect that he would get near-complete control over his staff if he's the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Pearson would have had the majority of the bargaining power in negotiating for the Tech job. Like I said in the other thread, I expect that he would get near-complete control over his staff if he's the guy.
                      I wouldn't be surprised if the hockey team doesn't get a new conditioning coach.
                      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

You know if they are going to announce a new coach on Monday, wouldn't you at least have a press release out regarding a press conference on Monday? Or maybe Monday they will be announcing a future press conference? Maybe Mel will control the program right down through the SID. We could use some more PR as well since we're turning over the program.

Ryan J
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          You know if they are going to announce a new coach on Monday, wouldn't you at least have a press release out regarding a press conference on Monday? Or maybe Monday they will be announcing a future press conference? Maybe Mel will control the program right down through the SID. We could use some more PR as well since we're turning over the program.

Ryan J
                          Michigan State didn't announce their press conference until about 2 hours before it actually occurred.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            You know if they are going to announce a new coach on Monday, wouldn't you at least have a press release out regarding a press conference on Monday? Or maybe Monday they will be announcing a future press conference?
                            Got a new podium!

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              Kinda disappointing for Damon. He was a good assistant for Shyiak at UAA, I was disappointed to see him leave. Hopefully he lands somewhere.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Mel has turned down the coaching jo at Tech before. If the rumor is true, I'm sure that Red
                                has given Mel some idea how many more seasons he'll coach the Wolverines. That way, Mel can get a few years
                                as a head coach, while gaining experience building a solid D-1 program at a school that is a hard place to recruit
                                to (location & academics. I also think it would be a good time for Billy Powers to move, maybe to a school back East
                                where he comes from. I also agree that Ron Rolston could be a good candidate to replace Red. Both Ron & Mel shoulda/
                                coulda been head coaches years ago!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X