PDA

View Full Version : Mel Pearson-Michigan Tech's new Coach

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Flashy Man
04-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Whitten has been let go.

davyd83
04-16-2011, 04:43 PM
We've had some good sources, we can't just name them.

Best of luck on this.

Shirtless Guy
04-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Best of luck on this.Why don't you mind your own **** business then...you've been nothing but a thorn in the Tech Head Coach search discussion...go away.

davyd83
04-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Why don't you mind your own **** business then...you've been nothing but a thrown in the Tech Head Coach search discussion...go away.

What is a "thrown?" I really am hoping Tech gets someone who can bring their program back to national prominence. I'd love to see the Huskies do well, and was likely rooting for them long before you. It's a program with great history and a proud tradition. It would be great if that can be returned.

yooper(UP) hockey
04-16-2011, 05:04 PM
I hope they pick the right asst. Coach because if Mel bails when Red leaves he might be considered. But a great choice hopefully Mel can bring some wins for tech hockey.

Who is the assistant coaches being considered? Any coaches from the CCHA or WCHA? Or what about Rud with green bay?

davyd83
04-16-2011, 05:16 PM
I hope they pick the right asst. Coach because if Mel bails when Red leaves he might be considered. But a great choice hopefully Mel can bring some wins for tech hockey.

Who is the assistant coaches being considered? Any coaches from the CCHA or WCHA? Or what about Rud with green bay?

I would be very surprised if Rud wasn't on MTU's short list. And he will likely be on many more.

FadeToBlack&Gold
04-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Whitten has been let go.

A formality, I'm sure.

alfablue
04-16-2011, 05:34 PM

To try to offer you some brighter silver lining, Billy Powers has been an assistant down here for about 20 years now, too. One could call it a toss up between Mel and Billy, with Mel getting the edge. But if Mel takes this job, well...

Not that it means much, but could be a different version of reality if Mel becomes the new Tech head coach.

geezer
04-16-2011, 05:41 PM
The certainty of this rumor makes me nervous that Bruce McLeod is going to be named coach.
Plus, Chuck Schwartz told us that Pearson is a pipe dream. :p

yooper(UP) hockey
04-16-2011, 05:56 PM
To try to offer you some brighter silver lining, Billy Powers has been an assistant down here for about 20 years now, too. One could call it a toss up between Mel and Billy, with Mel getting the edge. But if Mel takes this job, well...

Not that it means much, but could be a different version of reality if Mel becomes the new Tech head coach.

It is scary thought that Mel might bolt. Hopefully, Mel will be signed for at least five years and tech will not have to worry about this?

FadeToBlack&Gold
04-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Hopefully, Mel will be signed for at least five years and tech will not have to worry about this?

Assuming he takes our job, buying him out would be pocket change for U of M if they really wanted him back.

yooper(UP) hockey
04-16-2011, 06:16 PM
My list for Assistant Coaches:

1 Brian Renfrew(MSU assistant and may be let go)
2 Danton Cole or any other USA hockey coaches conected to the Ann Arbor based program
3 Ron Forgerty Head coach of Adrian D3 powerhouse and former assistant coach with Bowling Green
4 Eric Rud (Coach Green Bay Gamblers) Former Asssistant with CC and St Cloud
5 Joe S. assistant coach NMU
6 Tim Blashill
7 any others who might be associated with Mel

Huskiefan906
04-16-2011, 06:30 PM

No offense, but I can't see Michigan being turned over to Billy Powers especially in the the new conference. MY bet is Red is now planning on coaching well into the new leagues start and this finally gave Mel the number of years he was no longer willing to wait to coach his own program. I see Tech advancing rapidly with Mel at the helm.

yooper(UP) hockey
04-16-2011, 06:44 PM
No offense, but I can't see Michigan being turned over to Billy Powers especially in the the new conference. MY bet is Red is now planning on coaching well into the new leagues start and this finally gave Mel the number of years he was no longer willing to wait to coach his own program. I see Tech advancing rapidly with Mel at the helm.

I can see UM turning the helm to Ron Rolston.

yooper(UP) hockey
04-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Whitten has been let go.

Whitten may go back to MSU. I bet.

davyd83
04-16-2011, 06:47 PM
I can see UM turning the helm to Ron Rolston.

That actually seems like a pretty decent idea. I wouldn't be shocked if Rolston were on the list as a replacement if Pearson is indeed packing for Houghton.

manurespreader
04-16-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm somewhat surprised on Whitten, I just talked to him last week. He had just gotten back from a recruiting trip. I think he was well liked by the players though I'm sure he will catch on somewhere quite quickly. Sorry to see him go.
Maybe Powers is coming as well... wouldn't that be cool!.

Flashy Man
04-16-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm somewhat surprised on Whitten, I just talked to him last week. He had just gotten back from a recruiting trip. I think he was well liked by the players though I'm sure he will catch on somewhere quite quickly. Sorry to see him go.
Maybe Powers is coming as well... wouldn't that be cool!.

I should've said my sources say he has been. No official word yet. But, my guess is Pearson wants full control, top to bottom.

FadeToBlack&Gold
04-16-2011, 09:24 PM
I should've said my sources say he has been. No official word yet. But, my guess is Pearson wants full control, top to bottom.

Pearson would have had the majority of the bargaining power in negotiating for the Tech job. Like I said in the other thread, I expect that he would get near-complete control over his staff if he's the guy.

Flashy Man
04-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Pearson would have had the majority of the bargaining power in negotiating for the Tech job. Like I said in the other thread, I expect that he would get near-complete control over his staff if he's the guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the hockey team doesn't get a new conditioning coach.