Concussions In Hockey - Fair Play Rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concussions In Hockey - Fair Play Rule

Here is a recent piece by OTL in regards to the rough play of USA hockey players. I don't really have any thoughts on the matter other than to say it was interesting. The fair play rule in Minnesota youth hockey does add another dimension to the game. One item of note, early on in the story there was a rink that had a Utica, Oswego, Elmira (among others) banners up in the rafters. I was wondering if that was Neumann's rink (I have never been there).

Anyway, thought I'd share the link.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6305684
    93GreatLaker

2012-13 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
    2011-12 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
    2010-11 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
    2008-09 DIII College Hockey Pool Champion
    2008-09 SUNYAC Pick-em Champion

Re: Concussions In Hockey - Fair Play Rule

That is the Neumann home rink. The footage was shot at Iceworks in Aston Pa where Neumann pays its home games. The teams were from some local tier 2 organizations that were playing in a tournament I gather.

Comment

I know 1 thing for sure that seamless glass is NO friend to the hockey players.........ow yea and herb brooks didnt shake our hand after we, Oswego, beat him in the final 4 in 87.....not that it still bothers me til this day lol

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
        I know 1 thing for sure that seamless glass is NO friend to the hockey players.........ow yea and herb brooks didnt shake our hand after we, Oswego, beat him in the final 4 in 87.....not that it still bothers me til this day lol
        So does that mean that Emery is channelling Herb Brooks
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I think you can look at the equipment as well. Pads are hard as a rock and it looks like players are wearing suits of armor. I'm not saying let's go helmetless. The cages are a lot better than the visors that the NHL has. Let's try to put some more give in the pads like elbow pads.

Also, players need to have their heads up to avoid getting creamed. Concussions won't go away, but we can reduce them by following some things in the report.
          Twitter: DanMountSports
          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
            I think you can look at the equipment as well. Pads are hard as a rock and it looks like players are wearing suits of armor. I'm not saying let's go helmetless. The cages are a lot better than the visors that the NHL has. Let's try to put some more give in the pads like elbow pads.

Also, players need to have their heads up to avoid getting creamed. Concussions won't go away, but we can reduce them by following some things in the report.
            I think there's a little bit to the equipment theory. When I played youth hockey my equipment felt like actual protective equipment, I felt the restrictiveness (although little) and the weight to it, fast forward to ten years later. I bought equipment last and this year, it's now so light that I don't even feel it on, I think it helps me move faster and put more emphasis on placement of hits and energy of hits rather than just putting the body on someone.

Comment

Guys, watch this video from March, 1974. It's from the Snively Arena at UNH.
              (1) Note the low glass on the side. You could not chip the puck over the defenseman's head to clear the zone.
              (2) Yes, Virginia, it IS chicken wire behind the net!
              (3) Note the equipment.
              (4) Take a good look @ the guy in the blue jacket at the end of the video. That is a very young Bob Norton.
              (5) Which coach these days would put 3 forwards out there 3 x 3? On the PK that year, UNH would put out 3 forwards and 1 defenseman - and it worked.
              (6) #8 RPI did eventually win the game against #1 UNH. Cap Raeder (Doug's dad) got hurt in the game and had to be replaced.
              I miss those days!!

Last edited by joecct; 04-13-2011, 10:29 AM.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post

There's a lot of discussion about whether cages are in fact worse for concussions than visors. Cages will prevent facial injuries, but they do absolutely nothing to prevent concussions, and might make them worse by channeling forces from hits directly on to the chin (which is a great way to get a concussion.)

Joe, why don't the goalies' equipment take up 3/4 of the net in that video?

Comment

My take on this issue....
                  For one, get rid of the hard plastic that is on the equipment today. Secondly, our game has expanded in to markets where they have a football mentality. Lastly, there are too many coaches out there who have never seen a higher level of hockey than high school.
                  The gear has gone from protective to a weapon like material. Hockey is now in markets like Texas, where its smash 'em, crash 'em. I chuckle when some local parents think because Johnny can score against kids who can't skate, will be in the NHL before they can legally have a beer.
                  Perhaps we have are the result of the ESPN highlights. Kids want to explode into an opponent rather than create offense.
                  I recall my Dad taking me out to a piece of ice to learn how to skate, not how to hit someone.
                  LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                    For one, get rid of the hard plastic that is on the equipment today.
                    Amen. Particularly elbow pads and shoulder pads. Equipment's supposed to protect the player wearing it - not hurt the players he's hitting.

As an interesting side note, the NCAA sport with the highest incidence of concussions? No, it's not men's hockey. It's not even football. It's women's hockey, a "non-checking" sport.

Comment

Originally posted by joeyc3402 View Post
                      As an interesting side note, the NCAA sport with the highest incidence of concussions? No, it's not men's hockey. It's not even football. It's women's hockey, a "non-checking" sport.
                      My guess at a reason: because some body checking still happens, but the players are almost never anticipating it the way a men's hockey player would. In fact, because it's not SUPPOSED to be part of the game, many of these girls are never taught "how to safely receive a check".
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                        My guess at a reason: because some body checking still happens, but the players are almost never anticipating it the way a men's hockey player would. In fact, because it's not SUPPOSED to be part of the game, many of these girls are never taught "how to safely receive a check".
                        There also seems to be some evidence in studies that I have read that women are more susceptible to concussions than men in basketball. I wish I could quote the source.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I think WCAX CBS in VT last fall did a article that girls in High School soccer also had a higher rate of concussions.

Comment

[QUOTE=joecct;5119458]Guys, watch this video from March, 1974. It's from the Snively Arena at UNH.

Ah, the memories of "Lively Snively" It was a great place to enjoy a game.
                            Real Life is drawing without an eraser.

Comment

Working...
                            X