Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University 2011 Offseason

Originally posted by defkit View Post
    Similar to srsterrier, I have a ton of respect for Parker, and I'm glad we had him has a coach because he has done more for BU Hockey than anyone. It's just gotten past him, and he's no longer the right man for the job.
    Well I am looking forward to him and the team proving you and the others who support a new coach(I assume Quinn,Hynes and Sullivan are all viable options) wrong next year. I just don't agree with deciding to throw a NC out the window because he had a great team put together and two years later giving him the boot and we all know he is here aslong as he wants to be anyway whether you like it or not.
    GO BU

Comment

Originally posted by mpereira View Post
      As for this year, not making the Garden and the Beanpot were unacceptable for sure but once again im not sure how much falls on Parker and the coaching staff. There is the inexperience, poor execution,..etc. We could play this game for days I am sure but that HE QF series was the season in a nutshell where the team simply couldn't execute when they needed to. That team played hard all weekend but stuggled making key decisions and playing disciplined hockey. Some of that falls on Parker but he can only tell them what to do. He can't go out and play for them.
      So, when the team does well it shows that Parker is still an elite coach, but when the team does badly it is mainly the players' fault. Gotcha.

Who do you think brought these players here? The coaching staff is responsible for them good or bad.

Comment

Well I am looking forward to him and the team proving you and the others who support a new coach(I assume Quinn,Hynes and Sullivan are all viable options) wrong next year.
        We would love nothing more than to be proven wrong. We just have the last dozen years or so to justify our opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
          We would love nothing more than to be proven wrong. We just have the last dozen years or so to justify our opinions.
          The same thing could be, and was, said during the 1980s. Yet somehow Coach Parker was able to then have a tremendous nine season run in the 1990s.

In my opinion the problem with the team is not Coach Parker directly, but with the assistant coaches.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I just don't agree with deciding to throw a NC out the window because he had a great team put together and two years later giving him the boot
            You aren't following. The NC doesn't get thrown out the window.... it's there and was earned by BU and in particular a few leaders on the team that led. Something Parker isn't doing anymore. The NC was a bit of a fluke. Hokydad could have coached that team to a FF at least. Anyone of the assistant coaches could have coached that team to the championship.

Here's the problem with Parker, his style doesn't work. It worked a decade ago. In case no one noticed there is a tremendous difference between kids from 10-15 years ago and today. First off, when you get a kid 10-15 years ago a load of crap they usually got fired up, put their head down and worked harder. Kids today don't do that. Moreover, what continues to happen year in and year out is that JP becomes more and more inclined to throw his players under the bus. When you watch an interview with coaches MOST coaches will talk around it... blah blah we need to find some leadership.... players need to step up.... as coaches we need to do our job...blah blah blah. Not Parker.... Jimmy dogged it last night, Tommy just sucks.... our defensmen are morons....the only player worth a **** was mpeirera who rode my wood.

Calling players out used to work. Now it just loses you respect. Parker can't change and the players won't respect him. They come because of Parker and playing for an elite program will get you noticed far better then at AIC, so you take a gamble try to get by and hope you don't walk into the dressing room to find your locker empty.
            Originally posted by Hokydad
            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              The same thing could be, and was, said during the 1980s. Yet somehow Coach Parker was able to then have a tremendous nine season run in the 1990s.

In my opinion the problem with the team is not Coach Parker directly, but with the assistant coaches.

Sean
              Yes, as a recruiter. We should have won 3 national championships that decade with the kids he brought in. Losing in 91 and 97 was ridiculous given the talent those teams had (no shame in losing to LSSU, although 9-1 and having the game over 5 minutes into the first period tells me he didn't have the team ready to play).
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                So, when the team does well it shows that Parker is still an elite coach, but when the team does badly it is mainly the players' fault. Gotcha.

Who do you think brought these players here? The coaching staff is responsible for them good or bad.
                I am not saying that. I think it is an equal share of blame and praise for either way. The players came back in the NC game in 09. I don't think Parker said or did anything special to score two goals in the last minute to force OT. I think all of the people on here go quite the other way though. When things go wrong, it is because Parker is old and can't relate but when it goes right it is because Colin Wilson can score and Matt Gilroy related between Parker and the rest of the team. I think he deserves more credit as a coach. There are obviously everyone else on this thread that disagrees with that and wants him gone but I think you all underestimate him and overrate how good his replacement would be at filling his shoes.
                GO BU

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post

Calling players out used to work. Now it just loses you respect. Parker can't change and the players won't respect him. They come because of Parker and playing for an elite program will get you noticed far better then at AIC, so you take a gamble try to get by and hope you don't walk into the dressing room to find your locker empty.
                  So the players don't respect him but they come here because of him(a guy they don't repsect)? I got you...that is perfect logic. The recruits he gets have other high quality options usually. It is rare that BU gets a recruit that didn't have an offer from another school in HE and usually multiple.
                  GO BU

Comment

So the players don't respect him but they come here because of him(a guy they don't repsect)? I got you...that is perfect logic. The recruits he gets have other high quality options usually. It is rare that BU gets a recruit that didn't have an offer from another school in HE and usually multiple.
                    It's not hard to understand.

Before the kids get to school they are spoonfed how amazing Parker is, he has won this and that, turned down the Bruins job, put all these guys in the NHL, etc (no one mentions that he may be suffering from dementia). A legendary coach is a selling point to a recruit. No one denies that. And Parker is one of those guys. Sure kids will pick BU to play for a legendary coach among other great factors that BU has going for it. Absolutely.

When they get there, though, it's a different story to some kids. Not all, but some. Parker doesn't have to woo them anymore to convince them to come. It's either do it my way or waste a year transferring somewhere or try to sign without much D1 performance to ask for any reasonable dollar amount (or for the undrafted... risk your draft status? Yikes). When they show up, their butts are his. When this bad stuff happens ("stop playing like Craig Janney"... cleaning out kids' lockers... drinking binges on non-drinking days... optional workouts that aren't optional... punishment bike rides) , obviously the kids that went there to play for him change their tunes on the legendary JackPa.

It's kind of hard for kids to know this stuff when they're in high school and the legend has a life of its own. Everything is complicated by the fact that things have changed drastically in the past 15 years. Parker has trouble relating to the kids now. He just does. A lot of BU fans see that as well. But the legend of Coach Parker still works off of success from beyond the last 15 years. So it's a bit complicated now for a recruit.

I can't believe I wasted this many words having to explain something so elementary to you but then again it really isn't very surprising.
                    Last edited by Carmine Scarpaglia; 04-23-2011, 02:37 PM.
                    Originally posted by reBlur
                    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                      It's not hard to understand.

Before the kids get to school they are spoonfed how amazing Parker is, he has won this and that, turned down the Bruins job, put all these guys in the NHL, etc (no one mentions that he may be suffering from dementia). A legendary coach is a selling point to a recruit. No one denies that. And Parker is one of those guys. Sure kids will pick BU to play for a legendary coach among other great factors that BU has going for it. Absolutely.

When they get there, though, it's a different story to some kids. Not all, but some. Parker doesn't have to woo them anymore to convince them to come. It's either do it my way or waste a year transferring somewhere or try to sign without much D1 performance to ask for any reasonable dollar amount (or for the undrafted... risk your draft status? Yikes). When they show up, their butts are his. When this bad stuff happens ("stop playing like Craig Janney"... cleaning out kids' lockers... drinking binges on non-drinking days... optional workouts that aren't optional... punishment bike rides) , obviously the kids that went there to play for him change their tunes on the legendary JackPa.

It's kind of hard for kids to know this stuff when they're in high school and the legend has a life of its own. Everything is complicated by the fact that things have changed drastically in the past 15 years. Parker has trouble relating to the kids now. He just does. A lot of BU fans see that as well. But the legend of Coach Parker still works off of success from beyond the last 15 years. So it's a bit complicated now for a recruit.

I can't believe I wasted this many words having to explain something so elementary to you but then again it really isn't very surprising.
                      This !!

And I will add that "BU" has as much draw as Parker. Kids are sitting there and they have offers from say Vermont, Maine, UNH, MC and BU. Now, they are thinking about who they will be playing for, how much time they will play, and what their odds of getting to the NHL are. The decent kids may choose VT or UNH, they have a greater chance to play and make a name for themselves. The elite kids are thinking, hey BU sends a lot of kids to the NHL, and there is a lot of exposure there. It's also has a lot of history, thats the place for me. Playing for Jack Parkmeonthebenchbecauseheneedstothrowsomeoneundert hebus isn't the only consideration they have.

Comment

This !!

And I will add that "BU" has as much draw as Parker. Kids are sitting there and they have offers from say Vermont, Maine, UNH, MC and BU. Now, they are thinking about who they will be playing for, how much time they will play, and what their odds of getting to the NHL are. The decent kids may choose VT or UNH, they have a greater chance to play and make a name for themselves. The elite kids are thinking, hey BU sends a lot of kids to the NHL, and there is a lot of exposure there. It's also has a lot of history, thats the place for me. Playing for Jack Parkmeonthebenchbecauseheneedstothrowsomeoneundert hebus isn't the only consideration they have.
                        Just out of curiosity, could you tell me how many kids BU sent to the NHL before Parker took over? It's so unbelievably stupid of you (and Carmine) to credit BU, its history, its resources, etc. for putting players in the NHL and not credit Parker. He's just as important, if not more important, of a factor as any of that other stuff. I would say the two biggest reasons for the number of BU players in the NHL, far ahead of the program's history or Agganis' facilities, are Parker and Boyle. They are the ones who get players ready for the NHL, not the banners or the history or the arena's good sightlines or whatever else.
                        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                          Just out of curiosity, could you tell me how many kids BU sent to the NHL before Parker took over? It's so unbelievably stupid of you (and Carmine) to credit BU, its history, its resources, etc. for putting players in the NHL and not credit Parker. He's just as important, if not more important, of a factor as any of that other stuff. I would say the two biggest reasons for the number of BU players in the NHL, far ahead of the program's history or Agganis' facilities, are Parker and Boyle. They are the ones who get players ready for the NHL, not the banners or the history or the arena's good sightlines or whatever else.
                          I would counter that it's so incredibly stupid of you and mpereirarara to not be able to distinguish between past and present. How many went to the NHL before Parker.....who cares. It's irrelevant how many parker sent 20,15,10 years ago. It's pretty much irrelavant to even look at who went last year or the year before that without taking into account progress. If Parker recruits at #1 draft pick and that kid makes it to the NHL that's not terribly impressive. Same kid a #6 draft pick and makes it after going from 12pts as a freshman to 40pts as a senior and now you are talking. Parker relies on his history. Live in the past, all the better for the other 9 times in HE.

Comment

I would counter that it's so incredibly stupid of you and mpereirarara to not be able to distinguish between past and present. How many went to the NHL before Parker.....who cares. It's irrelevant how many parker sent 20,15,10 years ago. It's pretty much irrelavant to even look at who went last year or the year before that without taking into account progress. If Parker recruits at #1 draft pick and that kid makes it to the NHL that's not terribly impressive. Same kid a #6 draft pick and makes it after going from 12pts as a freshman to 40pts as a senior and now you are talking. Parker relies on his history. Live in the past, all the better for the other 9 times in HE.
                            What about Bonino (6th round), McCarthy (7th) and Gilroy (undrafted)? Nah, you're right. None of them progressed at all under Parker. Neither did Wilson in his two years here. Or Van Der Gulik. Or... well, you get the point. Nice try, though.
                            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Same kid a #6 draft pick and makes it after going from 12pts as a freshman to 40pts as a senior and now you are talking. Parker relies on his history. Live in the past, all the better for the other 9 times in HE.
                              hmmm.

like 8th round Yip?
                              like 7th round McCarthy?
                              like 6th round Bonino?
                              like undrafted Gilroy?

moron.
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                                Sean: There have been a lot of concerns raised about Powers on this board. Do you view Bavis as a problem too?

Comment

Working...
                                X