Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011 Offseason

Originally posted by reBlur View Post
    I was there in 09 to see BU win it all, and as exciting and awesome as that experience was, this was better - even though I was watching on TV and there was no crazy comeback. BU won an NCAA championship. That's amazing and difficult and everything, but it's still no Stanley Cup. The mystique surrounding the Cup, the idea that these players reached the pinnacle of their sport, the fact that this Bruins team was never really looked at as a Stanley Cup contender until deep in the playoffs, it's a pretty sweet victory. Sure, many kids dream of winning an NCAA championship growing up, but the ultimate goal is the Stanley Cup. I'm a local kid who follows everything in this town but the Celtics/Revs very closely and the only championship that beats this for me was the Red Sox in 2004.
    you are a local kid and dont follow the Celtics?

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
      Bruins winning the Cup is an easy No. 1 for me. They've been my favorite team my whole life, so it would be pretty much impossible for anything to ever top this. Red Sox in '04 is an easy No. 2- second favorite team, ended an even longer drought than the Bruins. The '09 national title game was the most exciting game I've ever witnessed in any sport, so it will always have a special place because of that. But in terms of what it means to me personally and where I'd rank it, it wouldn't be near the top of the list. Pats in '01 and Celts in '08 would definitely be ahead of it as well, so it would be 5 at best. I'd maybe put the Pats' other two Super Bowls and the Sox in '07 ahead of it, too. But I'm not like most posters here. I didn't grow up a BU fan like I did B's, Sox, Pats and Celts, and I was really only a die-hard BU fan for two seasons- my freshman and sophomore years.
      perhaps after you mature and i mean no disrespect you will come to understand how special it is to have your alma mater win the national champonship. believe me, i have been down this road but as it is with many if not all of you from your generation, you are awash in championships and dont understand how hard it really is to win it all . anyway, enjoy this.............but later on you will realize how special 2009 really is.............sorry to be a bore, but just my take on it

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
        perhaps after you mature and i mean no disrespect you will come to understand how special it is to have your alma mater win the national champonship. believe me, i have been down this road but as it is with many if not all of you from your generation, you are awash in championships and dont understand how hard it really is to win it all . anyway, enjoy this.............but later on you will realize how special 2009 really is.............sorry to be a bore, but just my take on it
        At the same time, I understand the personal preference thing, so it makes sense.

However, I consider 09 my favorite sports moment of all-time, above the Bruins (no. 2), the Sox (no. 2A) and the other chips. As much as I love the Bs and Sox and Pats and grew up with those teams, there's no team I love more than BU hockey and no team that can ever feel more like it belongs to me. Having been to hundreds of games as a fan and two seasons worth as a media member, I know the program in a way that is different than any of the teams I love, but will never really be an insider for. There's a connection there that cannot be touched and that's why I have a hard time believing anything can happen in sports that could mean as much to me as 09.
        I love BC people - without them, everyone would want to move to Boston. They keep the numbers down. - Bill Simmons

Boston University: 2009 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by 25 N Countin' View Post
          At the same time, I understand the personal preference thing, so it makes sense.

However, I consider 09 my favorite sports moment of all-time, above the Bruins (no. 2), the Sox (no. 2A) and the other chips. As much as I love the Bs and Sox and Pats and grew up with those teams, there's no team I love more than BU hockey and no team that can ever feel more like it belongs to me. Having been to hundreds of games as a fan and two seasons worth as a media member, I know the program in a way that is different than any of the teams I love, but will never really be an insider for. There's a connection there that cannot be touched and that's why I have a hard time believing anything can happen in sports that could mean as much to me as 09.
          well stated and i feel that same way about my alma mater's hockey team and that personal connection i have with it as opposed to the pro teams. we are all lucky to be able to even have this type of dialog comparing the riches of our college hockey teams vs those of Boston's pro teams

Comment

This post made me well up a little. Well put, and I bolded the one part I couldn't communicate properly to someone. I may print this to show people that ask me this question.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
              Chris Drury to retire from NYRangers because of deteriorating knee condition. Maybe he'd like to consider a career in coaching? http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...7jXnaAe8XRQAnK
              This makes me sad. Probably my all-time favorite Terrier. Oh, wait, this means he's available to coach!
              It Happened!!!!

Comment

I tend to write essays, and this may turn into one.

I think the insider thing is definitely a game-changer, but I just don't feel it for the 08-09 Terriers. My top 3 are Sox 04, Bruins 11, BU 09. After covering the team for the past year and change, I realized that even though I go to BU, I was no more of an insider in 08-09 than I was with the Bruins.

I know as a media member, I'm supposed to be impartial etc., but I do love BU hockey. I also love the Bruins. They were both my teams growing up. When I was little, I didn't really understand the difference between college hockey and the NHL, so the Bruins and Terriers were pretty much the same thing in my mind. I don't love BU any more than I love the Bruins, and nothing changed for me once I became a student at BU. They both belong to me.

If BU wins the national championship this season, I think I'll feel differently. That might top the Bruins from this year. I would have an actual, personal connection with the guys. If they saw me in a crowd, they could pick me out. I would be doing something other than just cheering for the team. Yeah, I run into the players on campus sometimes, but I've also run into Shawn Thornton when he goes to the boxing ring on Comm Ave. I was on a flight with Tuukka Rask from London to Boston this past summer. I run into the Bruins sometimes too. And yes, BU won it for my school, but the Bruins won it for my city. Why is that any different?

When I was little, I used to dream of the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup. I didn't feel the same about BU winning a national championship. I don't know if that had anything to do with BU winning a national championship when I was five or BU winning the Beanpot all the time . . . BU was always a winner to me. The Bruins weren't.

I was really eager for BU to win a national championship in 2009, but I kind of expected it. I got tickets for D.C. in January. The way they won it was a surprise, a shock, the most exciting experience of my life, all of that, but at the end of the day I was not surprised that that team went that far.

This year's Bruins team had no business winning the Stanley Cup. I was sure that they could not win a Cup with Claude Julien as a coach. They didn't have a Crosby, a Toews, a Zetterberg. They were supposed to lose in the second round, just like they always do. They were supposed to get wiped away in the SCF.

The surprise factor, the way they were underdogs, the mystique of the Stanley Cup, all that stuff is why the Bruins supersede BU in my rankings.
                http://thebostonhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Places I've watched college hockey: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Scottrade Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                  This makes me sad. Probably my all-time favorite Terrier. Oh, wait, this means he's available to coach!
                  Good idea. He can rest his laurels on winning the Penrose in 2023 (after Parker retires in 2022) when Marty Reasoner outcoaches him from the other side of Comm Ave.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by reBlur View Post
                    I was really eager for BU to win a national championship in 2009, but I kind of expected it. I got tickets for D.C. in January. The way they won it was a surprise, a shock, the most exciting experience of my life
                    A life. Get one. Soon.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      A life. Get one. Soon.
                      Says the other USCHO poster...
                      Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        A life. Get one. Soon.
                        Only if you do.
                        http://thebostonhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Places I've watched college hockey: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Scottrade Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Whittemore Center

Comment

Are BU fans worried about certain NHL teams drafting their players this year?

What I mean is, are there NHL teams who are more likely to extend legit offers to Clendening, Nieto, etc than other teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                            Are BU fans worried about certain NHL teams drafting their players this year?

What I mean is, are there NHL teams who are more likely to extend legit offers to Clendening, Nieto, etc than other teams?
                            I don't think BU has anything to worry about. Usually the only guys signed are top-10, top-15 picks, which Clendening and Nieto aren't gonna be.
                            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                              I don't think BU has anything to worry about. Usually the only guys signed are top-10, top-15 picks, which Clendening and Nieto aren't gonna be.
                              Yeah I am not too concerned about them leaving right now. Neither seem to be NHL-ready and are 43 and 45 on the last prospect rankings I saw which would leave them in the second round area. Those guys in the past haven't left until atleast after their sophomore years. I think Trivino is a second rounder(entering his senior year) and Coyle is a first and he is still here as well so I am not too concerned right now about those guys. They are here for another year or two atleast(depending how they play this season, need on their NHL team etc..)
                              GO BU

Comment

On where the Bruin's win ranks....

I think Superfan Joe put it pretty well over on the BC offseason thread. The BU win to me seemed more personal (particularly in 95 when I was more recently finished at BU) but the Sox in 04 and the Bruins in 11 seemed bigger (bigger stage, longer grind etc). For me, I've been cheering for the pro sports teams (particularly the Sox and the Bruins) ever since i remember cheering for teams, whereas I really didn't follow college hockey at all until I came to BU.

For me I'd have to say the Sox in 04 has to be #1, the Bruins a close 2nd, with the BU NCAA's a 2a (but with a different dynamic and different feel). The Celts was also big but somehow didn't seem as big since I had seen them win a few in my lifetime previously......... All that being said, if you asked me which team I most wanted to see win next, I'd probablly say BU.

As sterlippo said, It's pretty cool to be able to have this discussion.

Comment

Working...
                                X