Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011 Offseason

Originally posted by Ruikka Task View Post
    Let's not get carried away comparing Warsofsky to Lidstrom but come on, Warsofsky's numbers and history paint a pretty impressive story, he was a superstar at world juniors for crying out loud. Don't think the Bruins will take his performances against top talent lightly.

He is built for the NHL, and if a guy like Gerber Baby Food can get a full time gig in the NHL out of the box (as mediocre as he has been playing) then so can Warsofsky.
    I don't even know where to start. Total bass-ackwards post.

First of all, way to miss the point. I thought even the dopiest of fansies would figure it out. I wasn't comparing him to Lidstrom. My point is he is nowhere near that level and his chances of making the B's next year (and perhaps ever) are slim. He is as "built for the NHL" at the defense position as a golf cart is built for a demolition derby.

And please, Gerbe has been playing quite well lately, not "mediocre". He's scored 17 goals since Jan 1st, 10 of which came after March 13th (that's 10 in a 20-game span).
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
      Why even bother being a "fan" if you're always gonna be pessimistic and expect the worst? That can't possibly be enjoyable. Excuse me for looking at the positives and being optimistic about the future. As far as this Bruins discussion goes, I'm done. I've made my point. It's not worth arguing with you any more because you completely ignore all reason and logic.
      I'm not a "fan" of the Bruins until the owner either sells the team or dies. If they had a situation like the Blackhawks, where a bad owner was succeeded by his son who turned things around, I'd be all for that as I have nothing against Charlie Jacobs and doubt he has any real authority to do anything his father doesn't want him to do. I'll come back when the owner is gone. However, one can't ignore the team's history of choking. As far as pessimism goes, I'm far less pessimistic about better run teams such as the Celtics for example, but don't wish to turn this into a discussion about them. Amusing though that a team that hasn't won a Cup in 38 years going on 39, and who committed one of the biggest collapses in sports history with the same players as now just last year, and I'm the one not listening to logic or reason.

RT, thank you for taking a public stand on the B's chances. While I personally disagree, time will tell.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

time to write new history

Comment

Let's not get carried away comparing Warsofsky to Lidstrom but come on, Warsofsky's numbers and history paint a pretty impressive story, he was a superstar at world juniors for crying out loud.
          I watched every game of the WJC that year, and there is no way anyone could say with a straight face that Warsofsky was a superstar. In fact, I felt that he was a little bit exposed in some of the key games - he had some giveaways, at least a couple of which led to goals. He was at bst the 4th best d-man on the team, possibly 5th. Trust me I wanted him to be a star, but he most certainly was not.
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Life has gotten in the way of posting as much as I would like to but I would probably be called a Parker supporter. Parker's tough style of coaching may not be right for some but it's just his style and it has produced not just a national championship recently but a dominant one.
            Dominant at what, come from behind wins? BU had a horseshoe up their arse in the '09 NCAA's.

Warsofsky would fit in so well with the Bruins whoever said it is right, after Chara they are pretty thin and he could certainly take a big time role in a D spot at some point next year and make a big difference for the Bs.
            Originally posted by Rover View Post
            he made the right choice for himself IMHO and has a better than average shot to jump into one of the roster spots for the team that has his rights next year.
            What has changed in a few months? No argument on what was the best decision for him, but Warso couldn't play D against BC. How the hell is he going to do it against NHL'ers?

Have you two been making frequent visits to the pharmacy or were you born into this dream world?
            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

I'm not a "fan" of the Bruins until the owner either sells the team or dies. If they had a situation like the Blackhawks, where a bad owner was succeeded by his son who turned things around, I'd be all for that as I have nothing against Charlie Jacobs and doubt he has any real authority to do anything his father doesn't want him to do. I'll come back when the owner is gone. However, one can't ignore the team's history of choking. As far as pessimism goes, I'm far less pessimistic about better run teams such as the Celtics for example, but don't wish to turn this into a discussion about them. Amusing though that a team that hasn't won a Cup in 38 years going on 39, and who committed one of the biggest collapses in sports history with the same players as now just last year, and I'm the one not listening to logic or reason.

RT, thank you for taking a public stand on the B's chances. While I personally disagree, time will tell.
              Thats fine if you don't want to be a fan... too bad for you... hopefully you are a fan of some NHL team, and can enjoy the NHL playoffs as much as some of us.

And you certinally can be unhappy with and argue about HOW the Bruins are spending thier money, but the fact that they ARE spending money near the top of the league is not debateable.

Comment

Don't hate on the Bruins right now. They're currently doing their best to make the BU power play look like superstars.
                http://thebostonhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Places I've watched college hockey: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Scottrade Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  I don't even know where to start. Total bass-ackwards post.

First of all, way to miss the point. I thought even the dopiest of fansies would figure it out. I wasn't comparing him to Lidstrom. My point is he is nowhere near that level and his chances of making the B's next year (and perhaps ever) are slim. He is as "built for the NHL" at the defense position as a golf cart is built for a demolition derby.

And please, Gerbe has been playing quite well lately, not "mediocre". He's scored 17 goals since Jan 1st, 10 of which came after March 13th (that's 10 in a 20-game span).
                  You aren't very nice.

And Gerbe has definitely been mediocre yeah he's had a decent stretch but even his best stretch in the NHL has been far below what all you BC fans have been screaming to the world that he was going to do.

Comment

You aren't very nice.

And Gerbe has definitely been mediocre yeah he's had a decent stretch but even his best stretch in the NHL has been far below what all you BC fans have been screaming to the world that he was going to do.
                    Actually, I'm plenty nice. Ask anyone here that knows me.

And I really don't remember anyone, even BC fans, saying Gerbe would light up the NHL... especially at his size. But you keep making stuff up if it makes you feel better. You don't seem to deal well with reality. Not that I'm surprised.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      Actually, I'm plenty nice.
                      *****http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8351/rotflmaoke0.gif******
                      Originally posted by Hokydad
                      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Federal, no offense but *** are you talking about with the Bruins being as deep as the Pens or the Wings? You've got to be kidding me. I'll respect your opinion but let that statement of yours speak for itself. Yikes. Tell me, to you discount...you know..Stanley Cup victories when you do your analysis?

Regarding the salary cap, what you and Hokydad are missing is that if you sign a guy long term its his average salary that counts against the cap each year, hence you can actually be paying him more money now when he's good, but take the chance that you'll have to buy him out further down the road. The B's have only Chara and the most likely soon to be retired Savard signed long term. Okay with Chara but given that Savard will most likely never be the player he once was (the fact that you consider him to still be a "star when he's healthy" is frankly ludicrious. Its a terrible thing what happened to him but why not expect Eric Lindros to join the team too while you're at it) means the B's could do things contract wise to improve the team, but choose not to (the Kessel situation comes to mind).

Regarding Warso clearly the kid banged your girlfriend or something because your obsession with him not making the B's is a little odd since we all should be rooting for BU kids to make the big show. As I'll say once more for your benefit and then leave this particular subject, he made the right choice for himself IMHO and has a better than average shot to jump into one of the roster spots for the team that has his rights next year. We'll have to agree to disagree on the B's D being as solid 1-6 as some of the all time great NHL teams in history.
                        I'm sure it's way past the time where this is relevant anymore, but I can't let this post go by without responding.

Good point on the average yearly salary bit. But it still all comes out in the wash, and buying a player out near the back end of a bad contract is not nearly as easy as all that. It's not like cutting a guy in the NFL.

Guys the B's have signed long-term, besides Chara and Savard: Lucic, Krecji, Bergeron, Seguin. That said, outside of a bonafide young superstar (Crosby, Stamkos) I don't know that I'd want too many guys signed beyond two or three years. And, the fact that Savard suffered two or three severe head injuries after signing his deal has no bearing on an argument about whether or not the B's are cheap, or willing to commit to stars. At the time of that contract Savard was a legit star and there was a reasonable expectation that he'd be a cornerstone of the team for years going forward.

The "Kessel situation" had nothing to do with the team not liking to pay/sign guys. He's a classic case of million dollar skill, ten cent head and he didn't fit in to a) the way the team likes to play, and, b) from most accounts, didn't fit in in the locker room, either.

YOur comment about Warso is idiotic in it's missing the point. Nowhere in this conversation has 'rooting' for him to make the team come into play. It's all been (rightly) about whether his game is currently at a place where he could realistically crack the top 6 or 7 next year. My opinion, like many others, is that he's probably not there yet, but you never know what kind of leap he'll make over the offseason.
                        Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by smyler3 View Post
                          I'm sure it's way past the time where this is relevant anymore, but I can't let this post go by without responding.

Good point on the average yearly salary bit. But it still all comes out in the wash, and buying a player out near the back end of a bad contract is not nearly as easy as all that. It's not like cutting a guy in the NFL.

Guys the B's have signed long-term, besides Chara and Savard: Lucic, Krecji, Bergeron, Seguin. That said, outside of a bonafide young superstar (Crosby, Stamkos) I don't know that I'd want too many guys signed beyond two or three years. And, the fact that Savard suffered two or three severe head injuries after signing his deal has no bearing on an argument about whether or not the B's are cheap, or willing to commit to stars. At the time of that contract Savard was a legit star and there was a reasonable expectation that he'd be a cornerstone of the team for years going forward.

The "Kessel situation" had nothing to do with the team not liking to pay/sign guys. He's a classic case of million dollar skill, ten cent head and he didn't fit in to a) the way the team likes to play, and, b) from most accounts, didn't fit in in the locker room, either.

YOur comment about Warso is idiotic in it's missing the point. Nowhere in this conversation has 'rooting' for him to make the team come into play. It's all been (rightly) about whether his game is currently at a place where he could realistically crack the top 6 or 7 next year. My opinion, like many others, is that he's probably not there yet, but you never know what kind of leap he'll make over the offseason.
                          smyler you've put up about 4 strawman arguments in this post that I certainly never made. It makes me wonder what you're trying to prove. Anyway, lets take 'em one by one:

1) Didn't mention anything about buying a guy out in NHL vs NFL. Team could take the risk of signing skill guy to long contract that descends in pay over time, thus lightening in year cap hit (thanks by the way, that's a concept a lot of posters like hokydope clearly are struggling with). However, there would be the risk of eating his contract down the road. IMHO, that's a step Jacobs would never allow because he's cheap.

2) Never said anything about Savard being a bad signing. Please either read my posts, or site example. Savard was actually a good signing, one of the few the team has made. This might be your biggest strawman argument of your entire post. Who are you arguing against?

3) No offense but saying that what Kessel could command in the open market had no impact on the Bruins willingness to keep him makes no sense. Just to get your take on it, if they could have kept him for the same money they were paying him under his initial contract they would have dealt him anyway? That's ludicrious, especially when they turned around and drafted a similar player with the pick they got for him. You're entering Federal League territory with that logic.

4) My comment about Warso has consistantly been that he made the right decision for himself, as this is about as good of a situation as he's going to get to crack an NHL lineup. I haven't seen too many people disagree with that, so I'm not sure why people continue to bring up his chances of making the team which is pure speculation. My own personal take on this is that one BU poster who I've already named seems to have a personal grudge against the guy (and in full disclosure I know nothing about him beyond his play on the ice) and has dismissed any possibility of him making the pro team's lineup that IMHO is a bit shaky on the back few slots. I wouldn't have expected that idea to generate a 6 page debate, which again leads me to believe that the poster most adamantly arguing against that opinion repeatedly had some sort of dust up with the Warso that he's having trouble letting go of.

Last thing regarding Kessel. I've never understood the media campaign against the guy. You yourself in your post have dutifuly played along, insinuating that he was a problem in the locker room. The mark of a doomed franchise is when they launch smear campaigns against players who have long since gone and who themselves seem to have moved on. The Joe Thornton situation is a great example. As best I can tell I've never heard him (or Kessel) blasting the B's after they were traded. If you, the team and the media like that deal so much, what gives? It reminds me of the Red Sox under Dan Duquette and its something a successful team really wouldn't waste its time and energy on.
                          Last edited by Rover; 04-27-2011, 04:53 PM.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

[QUOTE=Rover;5130144]smyler you've put up about 4 strawman arguments in this post that I certainly never made. It makes me wonder what you're trying to prove. Anyway, lets take 'em one by one:

1) Didn't mention anything about buying a guy out in NHL vs NFL. Team could take the risk of signing skill guy to long contract that descends in pay over time, thus lightening in year cap hit (thanks by the way, that's a concept a lot of posters like hokydope clearly are struggling with). However, there would be the risk of eating his contract down the road. IMHO, that's a step Jacobs would never allow because he's cheap.

I understand the cap ramifications 100% and you pretending to throw out fringe bs/playing fantasy hockey is laughable. Have forgotten more about it than you will ever know.

Strictly talking about this regime and their ability/desire to spend/ They have spent 100% and have done so more than any team in league in virtually every catagory.

you have no clue what you are talking about and need to get out of the basement and stop listening to talk radio as your source. Say what you want about GM PC but he understands it cold and maxamizes it and spends every dime they have available.

You are dead wrong on your origianl comment about being cheap and getting rid of higher paid guys for lower paid ones. Dont digress/divert away to hide your ignorance.
                            Last edited by Hokydad; 04-27-2011, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Cap hit, Bonus room, LTIR replacement, on and on. B's number one is eevry catagory. Your original point was all bs.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/teams?sort...m&order=&year=

They are paying fines of over 2 million for being over. real cheap..

The Bruins had three options during that two-day thinking period, but keeping No. 26 was a no-brainer. Although the $2.2 million deal put Boston over the cap, Boston still has some time to get their payroll back down to the $59.4 million ceiling.

The first of three was the most unlikely of scenarios: Boston could have ‘walked away’ from No. 26 and his $2.2 million award. If the Bruins had exercised this right, then the 6′5″ Wheeler would have become an unrestricted free-agent, and the club would have received zero compensation for the former first-round draft pick.

Option No. 2: sign-and-trade. Had another team, hypothetically, acquired the restricted free-agent Wheeler for roughly $2.2 million via the offer sheet route, then the Bruins would have received that team’s second-round pick in next year’s draft. It’s unlikely that the Bruins would deal Wheeler for a mere second-round pick after all of this. But if a team sweetened the pot with an NHL-ready defenseman and a pick, then that could be something worth looking in to.

Option No. 3: sign-and-keep—the most likely of the three decisions and the one the Bruins seem to have in their fold. Wheeler is just too big, too versatile, and has much too potential to become a solid top-3-6 forward in the NHL to let loose. His versatility on the power play and penalty-kill (2:04 PP/TOI and 1:10 SH/TOI last season) was a solid attribute to the team, as 10 of his 38 points during the regular season came via special teams. And entering his third NHL season alongside pivot David Krejci—who assisted on half of his 18 goals last season, and 10 of his 21 i 2008-09—Wheeler has spent nearly all of his time (full-strength and special teams) with the 24-year-old Krejci.

The Bruins’ offseason thus far has certainly not been boring. Cap-strapped and running out of time, the team had put their No. 1 center and former Vezina Trophy winner out there on the trading block to give the club some salary-cap breathing room. Along with some of Peter Chiarelli’s questionable moves and contracts—which have really put the Bruins in a salary-cap predicament for this upcoming season—the team also employs seven full-time forwards making north of $3.5 million; none of which lit the lamp more than 22 times in a Black-and-Gold sweater last year. According to capgeek.com, the B’s have also been tagged with a $1,759,795 ‘carry-over bonus penalty’ when rookie netminder Tuukka Task met and exceeded all of his $2.35 million bonus incentives last season.

As it stands right now, with the Bruins taking on Wheeler’s $2.2 million salary, the team has surpassed the league-set $59.4 million total salary-cap for the season by over $2 million. Fortunately for the club, there’s time to get the cap under where it needs to be—Saturday, October 9, 2010, opening night, to be exact—but it’s going to take some big moves with a touch of creativity. Opening night is also when Marco Sturm’s $3.5 million salary can be temporarily cleared from the books; as the soon-to-be 32-year-old will begin the season on the long-term injured reserve (LTIR) list as he rehabs his surgically repaired ACL and MCL.

Shipping Michael Ryder and the final year of his $4 million contract to Providence is an option that many Bruins’ fans wouldn’t lose any sleep over; nor would the option of buying-out the underachieving 30-year-old. If a buyout were to happen, Ryder’s $4 million would be dropped to $2.6 million ($1.33 million cap-hit) over the next two seasons. So it really comes down to either $4 million to continue breaking hearts and hopes of Bruins’ backers, or $2.6 million to go away.

And finally, the most important signing that has yet to be done: second overall draft pick Tyler Sequin. The 18-year-old will take up just $900,000 in cap-space for his 2010-11 NHL base salary. He can make up to $3.75 million in bonuses, but that number won’t hit the Bruins’ cap until the 2011-12 NHL season.

With the Bruins over the salary-cap by $2.187 million and 21 players signed for this upcoming season, the brass still has a lot of work to do from now ’til Oct. 9.

Comment

Salary cap debates aside.... Huge win and an exciting satisfying game. On to extract a little payback from last year miserable end...

Comment

Working...
                                X