Boston College 2011-2012 season outlook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston College 2011-2012 season outlook

So how do people think BC is going do next year? Granted they've lost a lot, but still return several highly recruited/regarded players at Forward (i.e. KHayes, Kreider, Whitney, Arnold, Almeida, Mullane, etc) and pretty much the entire defense. The biggest question mark I see is whether Milner (whose looked very good at times) or Billett (top EJHL goalie) can effectivley replace John Muse. In addition, can this group of forwards elevate their games to the next level and will there be enough quality depth in the bottom lines? The incoming Freshman class doesn't look to be one of BC's strongest, but KJ Tiefenwerth and Destray Straight if he shows up this year could both provide some offensive punch. Maine, UNH and MC all suffered major losses as well, so am guessing that BU may be the favorite out of the gate, while BC will hopefully be in the top 4.

Re: Boston College 2011-2012 season outlook

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
    So how do people think BC is going do next year? Granted they've lost a lot, but still return several highly recruited/regarded players at Forward (i.e. KHayes, Kreider, Whitney, Arnold, Almeida, Mullane, etc) and pretty much the entire defense. The biggest question mark I see is whether Milner (whose looked very good at times) or Billett (top EJHL goalie) can effectivley replace John Muse. In addition, can this group of forwards elevate their games to the next level and will there be enough quality depth in the bottom lines? The incoming Freshman class doesn't look to be one of BC's strongest, but KJ Tiefenwerth and Destray Straight if he shows up this year could both provide some offensive punch. Maine, UNH and MC all suffered major losses as well, so am guessing that BU may be the favorite out of the gate, while BC will hopefully be in the top 4.
    The usual. Top 3 in HE, top 5-10 in the polls, Hockey East tournament title, trip to the FF.
    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
      So how do people think BC is going do next year? Granted they've lost a lot, but still return several highly recruited/regarded players at Forward (i.e. KHayes, Kreider, Whitney, Arnold, Almeida, Mullane, etc) and pretty much the entire defense. The biggest question mark I see is whether Milner (whose looked very good at times) or Billett (top EJHL goalie) can effectivley replace John Muse.
      I still think the defense continues to be the major question mark. I have little concern about Milner and a supposedly good recruit in Billett is nice insurance.

Will the BC coaching staff allow the defensemen to hit someone? Or will everyone just watch tape of Northeastern (like Colorado College did) and take it to BC and give them a tough time every night?

BC will be fine in Hockey East and could be the best in the league again. But it's a weaker league next year and a Frozen Four seems unlikely at this point. They could get away with the type of defense they played this year but when they get outside of the league, it's not going to be pretty.

If the Samuelsson info is true then that is great news. Addition by subtraction. Was hoping he would improve, keep dad happy, and dad would send Henrik. If no shot at Henrik, Phil was clearly not improving and best of luck to the Ulfie fam. That's just how I feel about the whole situation.

Develop some guys at F to work into a shutdown line role. Meanwhile I could see a nice jump from Almeida.

Lastly, the schedule is going to be tough... tough OOC games ... and a bad showing OOC can absolutely hammer them all year long in the PWR.
      Originally posted by reBlur
      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

I am bullish on the prospect of BC hockey next season and post season.

Offensively the departure of Hayes, Gibbons, Atkinson, and Whitney will certainly leave a void that must be filled but as already discussed the talent is there now in returning players to assume larger roles going forward. Those players stepping up will do so because the roles are similar to those they have held in the past in Juniors or Prep School. Assume some time required to adjust and the firepower will be there as the season moves along. Faceoffs should be strong as Mullane, Arnold continue to dominate going forward and others develop into more consistent contributors in this "key area". Special teams will form their identities as there is much talent to tweak until consistent match-ups rise to the top. Depth will certainly be an issue but will develop as the season wears on and hopefully some freshmen additions will rise here.

Defensively I differ from most on this board with respect to the group in 2010-2011 and their collective contribution to team success but that is okay I guess. I also believe the unexpected loss of Samuelsson leaves a void that will not easily be filled. I wish him the best going forward. Returning group has excellence in many areas and should be the top defensive group in Hockey East and one of the best in the nation in my opinion. Tommy Cross can be as physical as any defensemen in college hockey if he wants to be evidenced by some of the thunderous body shots he delivered in the second half of this past season. Dumoulin is just as good as they come and will only get better and BC is lucky to have him for a third year. Wey will continue to develop defensively and offensively going forward while Alber, Shea and Issac M. will add seasoned depth and additional skill.

Milner and Billett will provide very solid net minding and consistency to a critical position for Boston College going forward. John was one of a kind no doubt but 2011-2012 tandem will provide solid foundation to build out from next season. As season develops this will become a strength of the team.

Leadership will be essential from Juniors and Seniors if the team is to form in a title contender. This might be one of the older teams BC has had in awhile with significant experience from larger junior and senior classes which cannot be overlooked. I like this team's leadership potential for the upcoming season.

Lower external expectations from a team perspective going into the season coupled with bitter taste from last season's early departure could provide the ingredients for another season worth being around for. Hockey East will not be as strong next season and Boston University should be the favorite out of the box.

Coaching staff may look different which certainly adds to the need for early adjustments to new thoughts, styles, and philosophies. But it will continue to be one the very best, if not the best, staff in college hockey.
        Last edited by BCHF; 04-11-2011, 10:22 AM.

Comment

The forwards should not be absolved of their 2011 sins defensively, either.

You've seen a switch in philosophy lately with success in 2008 and 2010 of absolutely shutting down North Dakota, Notre Dame, Miami, and Wisconsin. That basically was to extend the length of time an entry takes without an offensive chance to allow forwards to backcheck aggressively, eliminate trailing players and be the first guy there on the wall to help out (and more come to the rescue if necessary). Give up the blue line, force it wide and then get working. It worked, but it can also be exposed at times, especially if the forwards aren't chipping in defensively.

What caused this change would be an interesting discussion. One could argue it was an adjustment to the personnel. Others would argue otherwise. Or maybe it's just something that is conjured up and requires no argument whatsoever.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by BCHF View Post
            Defensively I differ from most on this board with respect to the group in 2010-2011 and their collective contribution to team success but that is okay I guess. I also believe the unexpected loss of Samuelsson leaves a void that will not easily be filled. I wish him the best going forward. Returning group has excellence in many areas and should be the top defensive group in Hockey East and one of the best in the nation in my opinion. Tommy Cross can be as physical as any defensemen in college hockey if he wants to be evidenced by some of the thunderous body shots he delivered in the second half of this past season. Dumoulin is just as good as they come and will only get better and BC is lucky to have him for a third year. Wey will continue to develop defensively and offensively going forward while Alber, Shea and Issac M. will add seasoned depth and additional skill.
            I don't think Samuelsson will be leaving, it was most likely just a rumor.

Comment

Dumoulin & Kreider are staying as per York (not that it's surprising)

Comment

BC should be ok as long as a team like CC doesn’t explode an 8 all over their faces.
                Originally posted by vizoroo
                Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
                Originally posted by duper
                I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
                Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
                Originally posted by dggoddard
                Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
                  I don't think Samuelsson will be leaving, it was most likely just a rumor.
                  I spoke to a usually impeccable source that said he signed with Pittsburgh.
                  Originally posted by mookie1995
                  bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                  Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                  Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    The forwards should not be absolved of their 2011 sins defensively, either.

You've seen a switch in philosophy lately with success in 2008 and 2010 of absolutely shutting down North Dakota, Notre Dame, Miami, and Wisconsin. That basically was to extend the length of time an entry takes without an offensive chance to allow forwards to backcheck aggressively, eliminate trailing players and be the first guy there on the wall to help out (and more come to the rescue if necessary). Give up the blue line, force it wide and then get working. It worked, but it can also be exposed at times, especially if the forwards aren't chipping in defensively.

What caused this change would be an interesting discussion. One could argue it was an adjustment to the personnel. Others would argue otherwise. Or maybe it's just something that is conjured up and requires no argument whatsoever.
                    My take is without an effective shut down line, they are prone to what happened in St. Louis. If you stuck Gannon and Greene (or Price and Lombo) on that top CC line, that's a different game. With the higher seed and the last change, they would have been able to play their defensive game against that line. Unfortunately they did not have a defensive line this year and were exposed. To me that's the bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by ronmexico View Post
                      BC should be ok as long as a team like CC doesn’t explode an 8 all over their faces.
                      It sure would be nice if CC could win their first national championship since the Eisenhower administration... maybe before they celebrate the 60th anniversary of their last national title?
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                        My take is without an effective shut down line, they are prone to what happened in St. Louis. If you stuck Gannon and Greene (or Price and Lombo) on that top CC line, that's a different game. With the higher seed and the last change, they would have been able to play their defensive game against that line. Unfortunately they did not have a defensive line this year and were exposed. To me that's the bottom line.
                        It's another solid point.

That has to be a priority for next year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                          I spoke to a usually impeccable source that said he signed with Pittsburgh.
                          Thats not true. Pittsburgh told him not to leave and he is going to Swedish Elite league on his own

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                            I agree. Maybe for the 2011-2012 season they can get a combination of Patrick Brown, Brooks Dyroff, Tommy Atkinson, Michael Sit and Quinn Smith to be a grinding, shutdown line. Guys that will be thrilled to be out on the ice and do everything they're told and not try and score goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                              Thats not true. Pittsburgh told him not to leave and he is going to Swedish Elite league on his own
                              3 Yr Contract

Comment

Working...
                              X