Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College Summer 2011: The Hockey Guy Adventures

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    thankfully we have another quality guy in Rick Bennett to fill Nate's shoes. The symmetry here is kind of striking. Rick Bennett from PC to UC and Nate Leaman from UC to PC.
    Except when our path cross (and most likely they will now) everyone down will be cheering for RIcky to do well also. However be aware, now he has the experience and if Leaman turns us around before he looks elsewhere, it very well might be Ricky we come for the next time
    Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Wonder if Leaman gives Alex Velischek a call...Anybody think, Alex could come back, now that there's a new staff...

Comment

come back, now that there's a new staff
        No. I'm sure he thought the staff was unlikely to return. Maybe he should go to Union. They have some aid freed up.

entry-level contract was announced by Devils’ President/CEO/General Manager Lou Lamoriello. Further terms were not disclosed.

Kinkaid could be assigned to the Devils Albany farm team next season.

The Farmingdale, Long Island native said he pondered the question whether turn pro or remain at Union for a long period.

“It was a tough decision to make but a great opportunity presented itself and I decided to take advantage of it,” Kinkaid said. “Although my time at Union was not as long as planned, these past two years have been two of the best of my life and I owe it to my coaches and teammates for all the success we have had. There's not a better group of guys and coaches that I could say I’ve been a part of. I wish everyone at Union all the best.”
        Maybe Leaman got lucky with a 6'3 late-bloomer that went undrafted for 3 years (1 HS,2 Col). Or they really worked on his technique and it clicked this season.

Comment

Yay!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
            Wonder if Leaman gives Alex Velischek a call...Anybody think, Alex could come back, now that there's a new staff...
            In my mind he's got to see if he'll come back. Of the defensemen coming back the only one that proved he could play defense was Harvey. SInce Beaudry is your top assett you have to do the most you can to protect him, plus at this point defense is going to win those games for us. Your advantage is that he is eligible immediately at PC, anywhere else his choice is to sit out another year in juniors so he gets 2 full seasons or get just a year and a half of eligibility (Like Lavin had at ND). The disadvantage there is no money. The way to get it is to have the ability to buy out scholarships (why I have said that several times was with Alex in mind) or to convince Kaib to go back to his original arrival date in Sept '12. The other key is there is someone on staff who can work with the defense. I believe Leaman was a forward and Barr was a forward. PC would be best served if the other asitant is defensive oriented. We have not had such a coach here.. If you could assure him you would make him better for returning I think you'd have a chance.

Barr's background it seems is on the offensive end. Notice he is from the same hometown as Matt Bergland, maybe first order of business is to get him back on his game. Barr was also an aggressive defensive forward even on the penalty kill. Certainly between fixing the Power Play to getting something out of a corps of forwards who have yet to do anything in their time at PC. I would hope they still have time to find themselves a decent walk on forward to fill out the roster.
            Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Well he did work for Walsh so maybe we get a couple of swimmers and a tennis player to play both sports !!!!!

Comment

Here are two stories (with quotes) from today's Troy Record (Troy NY) written by Ed Weaver, the Record's college hockey writer:

Nate Leaman couldn't pass up chance to coach Providence

Union promotes Rick Bennett from associate to head coach

The more I think about it, I believe the Union job is a great place for Rick right now where he can work with the guys he brought it as he gets HC experience.

Do you think all the press the Projo has given this coaching change indicates the Projo might be ready to begin providing coverage of PC hockey games again? Maybe the Projo should hire Ed Weaver.

Comment

Do you think all the press the Projo has given this coaching change indicates the Projo might be ready to begin providing coverage of PC hockey games again?
                  I'd say there's not much chance of that happening Freds. If you've seen the Projo lately it truly is more the "Providence Pamphlet" as Buddy Cianci likes to call it compared to what it used to be. They've cut staff to the point where even many/most of the game recaps for the Bruins and Celtics are AP stories now, so I don't think they have the manpower to do local game stories of anything except PC basketball and the like. I think we have to applaud Jim Donaldson at least for writing about the whole coaching situation over the last few seasons. It's good that one of their columnists is still paying attention, but beyond that, coverage will probably drop back to the occasional "hockey column" summary and that's it.

Thanks for the links to the Union stories...

Comment

Mike Boback played his first year at PC under a golf Schlarship because McShane did not have one available when he decided to play with Rob Gadreau (sp).
                    Last edited by BostonFriar; 04-23-2011, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Exactly how does one "buy out" a scholarship?

They are for one year and renewable so I understnad telling a player his scholarship will not be renewed if that is the meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonFriar View Post
                        Exactly how does one "buy out" a scholarship?

They are for one year and renewable so I understnad telling a player his scholarship will not be renewed if that is the meaning.
                        You cut the player from the team. Since they are not renewable you don't renew it, but you honor the committment. In other words if you cut one of the freshman you agree to pay off the rest of his time at PC. Lou did it all the time. It was how he got Money for Brian Burke, he bought one of the kids a year ahead of him (I believe it was Shawn Howard).

Also you can't do the trick of having the player play another sport then be on the hockey team. There is some type of priority and I'm not sure this type of wording explains it, but you are not on a hockey scholarship you can't get money as a tennis player for instance since it is lower on the chain. Another of Lou's methods as noted was the golf team (Colin Ahern for instance) and baseball (last true hockey player who really played baseball was Steve O'Neil). They did have Eddie Walsh back up Terreri and he was primarily a baseball player who played hockey and didn't play beyond 2 years.
                        Last edited by cavbim; 04-23-2011, 12:26 PM.
                        Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Thanks Cav, so PC picks up the tab as financial aid or something and the player does not play.

I believe when a player get a 2 for 1 they get fulls for 2 years and ero for two years but can still get need based financial aid without being counted as a ship. If they get a partial for a year and aid the financial aid counts towards the 18 allowed ships.

As I said I know Boback had a golf ship for 1 year.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonFriar View Post
                            I believe when a player get a 2 for 1 they get fulls for 2 years and ero for two years but can still get need based financial aid without being counted as a ship. If they get a partial for a year and aid the financial aid counts towards the 18 allowed ships.
                            Assume you mean 2 for 4. Usually the scholarship years kick in the back end. The financial aid is used in the first year or two. Mayer was an exception. I guess he could not qualify for financial aid and since they went to Plan B that year Army split one of the scholarships he planned for a top flight forward into 2 2 for 4 one backend loaded to one of this year's seniors and a front loaded one for Mayer. Ironically after Mayer finished his two years he booted it.
                            Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

"Leaman, an Old Town, Maine native, returns to Hockey East, "The Record

I was surprised to see Leaman is from Maine I was under the impression he was from Ohio for some reason?
                              for writing about the whole coaching situation over the last few seasons.
                              Not a good sports section (everybody has left, that could) and their columnists are awful (nobody wanted them). I'm not concerned about what they do that much because I stopped reading the paper long ago. They are agenda driven and very bitter (I don't blame them).

The basketball program doesn't need the projo. The hockey program needs a major local-player presence to get any mention in the market at all, and that's not happening soon. There are no Paul Guays on the horizon.

Media's changed to the point where you have to provide your own web-coverage one way or another. The school needs to outsource it somehow in sports other than Bb.
                              Last edited by D.Leo; 04-23-2011, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D.Leo View Post
                                I was surprised to see Leaman is from Maine I was under the impression he was from Ohio for some reason?
                                You are correct, Nate Leaman is from Ohio. The Maine reference was probably from the fact that he was a volunteer assistant for the U of Maine team that won the NCAA in 1999, while he was pursuing his masters degree.

Comment

Working...
                                X