>>>>> RIT TIGERS - Offseason 2011 - Dreaming About 2011-2012 <<<<<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >>>>> RIT TIGERS - Offseason 2011 - Dreaming About 2011-2012 <<<<<

Keeping with the dreaming theme, here's the 2011 Offseason Thread.

Looking forward to next season, congratulations to the new Captains Haltigan, Spivak, & Saracino.
    John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
    NCAA DII - 1983
    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS - Offseason 2011 - Dreaming About 2011-2012 <<<<<

Congrats to the new captains. Although I was hoping to see McReynolds named a captain.

Comment

It is strange there isn't a forward captain. Maybe none of them wanted it
      RIT Tigers
      Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
      Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
      Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Yeah, so looking forward to October 2011 for a new season, i too thought it was strange to have 3 Defensemen captains. Oh well. GO TIGERS!

Comment

So I didn't really get into the college hockey scene until the beginning of last season, but from my observation the only chance an Atlantic Hockey team has of getting to the NCAA tournament is by winning the AHA tournament. I have to say I hate the college hockey playoff system, since relying on a single game elimination format more often than not seems to favor whoever is 'hot' , or has games that can be determined by a single unlucky bounce. I've also noticed it seems a bit unfair to give 12 teams only one chance at a playoff spot, as other leagues have few participating members.

With that rant out of the way, what does RIT (and other Atlantic Hockey teams) have to do to earn higher PWR rankings? The addition of Niagara and RMU has with no doubt increased the strength of the AHA, but still not enough to earn higher ratings from beating either of those two teams.
          RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
            I have to say I hate the college hockey playoff system, since relying on a single game elimination format more often than not seems to favor whoever is 'hot' , or has games that can be determined by a single unlucky bounce. I've also noticed it seems a bit unfair to give 12 teams only one chance at a playoff spot, as other leagues have few participating members.
            I agree with you that awarding the auto-bids to conference tournament champs (team that gets hot for two weeks) as opposed to regular season champs (team that proves over the long haul that it is the best) doesn't seem to be the most fair way to go about it. However, it is unlikely to ever change. It's the same way in other NCAA sports like basketball where there are many "mid-major" conferences that only get one bid. One problem with getting rid of it is that those conference tournaments make a fair amount of money for the conferences in many cases. Another is that by keeping that carrot out there, all of the horses in the race remain motivated even if they're clearly not going to end up in first place or otherwise earn an at-large bid. It keeps fan interest (fwiw) at more schools as high as possible for as long as possible. If there were no conference tournament, at least half the AHA schools would lose complete interest some time in December.

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
            what does RIT (and other Atlantic Hockey teams) have to do to earn higher PWR rankings?
            A) Join another conference

or

B)
            1) Schedule 7 strong programs out-of-conference
            and
            2) Hope all 7 end up being "Teams Under Consideration" (teams with RPI > 0.500)
            and
            3) Beat almost all (if not all) of them.
            and
            4) Beat nearly all AHA competition, especially NU, RMU, AFA, and MC. A record similar to RIT's 2009-10 record or better would be critical.
            and
            5) Pray (if you're religious at all)
            Can't we all just get along?
            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
              I agree with you that awarding the auto-bids to conference tournament champs (team that gets hot for two weeks) as opposed to regular season champs (team that proves over the long haul that it is the best) doesn't seem to be the most fair way to go about it. However, it is unlikely to ever change. It's the same way in other NCAA sports like basketball where there are many "mid-major" conferences that only get one bid. One problem with getting rid of it is that those conference tournaments make a fair amount of money for the conferences in many cases. Another is that by keeping that carrot out there, all of the horses in the race remain motivated even if they're clearly not going to end up in first place or otherwise earn an at-large bid. It keeps fan interest (fwiw) at more schools as high as possible for as long as possible. If there were no conference tournament, at least half the AHA schools would lose complete interest some time in December.

A) Join another conference

or

B)
              1) Schedule 7 strong programs out-of-conference
              and
              2) Hope all 7 end up being "Teams Under Consideration" (teams with RPI > 0.500)
              and
              3) Beat almost all (if not all) of them.
              and
              4) Beat nearly all AHA competition, especially NU, RMU, AFA, and MC. A record similar to RIT's 2009-10 record or better would be critical.
              and
              5) Pray (if you're religious at all)
              Speaking from a little experience from this past year, #3 is going to be the key on this one (although personally I hope your NC record next year is 6-1, I think you know where the one loss would be ). Whomever you happen to sweep in a year, you will then become very big fans of that team, as the wins they pick up will help you when it comes to common opponents (#2 helps). It's a good idea generally to root for whomever you play in a season (obviously not counting when you play them); this means AHA teams in NC games and your NC opponents in their league and other NC games. There will mathematically be some exceptions (I trust there are some posters here able to calculate this), but you want your opponents to do well, because opponents-of-opponents counts for 54% of Ratings Percentage Index.

Comment

Rumor is Tanev is headed back to Manitoba after playing 29 games with the Canucks(Edler, Hamhuis and Alberts are returning from injuries). I'm hoping this means his "upper body injury"/rumored concussion is better. In his unexpectedly extended time with the big club, he got 1 point(an assist), recorded an even +/- and took no penalties. If he is being sent down, I hope he does well in the playoffs with the Moose!

Also, while browsing Twitter I discovered Mike Janda signed up for an account. In his bio it says he's going to be coaching in San Jose
                RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Speaking from a little experience from this past year, #3 is going to be the key on this one (although personally I hope your NC record next year is 6-1, I think you know where the one loss would be ).
                  Yeah, RPI's 8-1-3 (if I remember correctly) OOC record certainly did the trick, didn't it? Since my wife is an alum of the 'Tute, I was following their late season saga very closely and watched their untimely late season drop in the PWR from # 7 to # 16 followed by the improbable rise back to # 15 while idle for two weeks. Despite the deflating late season conference play, the Engineers managed to squeak back into the tournament picture almost solely because of that OOC record (although the mid-season wins over Yale and Union certainly didn't hurt). We were sweating that one out for sure. It was much less stressful watching my team's tourney hopes. I knew full well exactly what the Tigers had to do to get in - Win the AHA tournament or else. Unfortunately this year it was "or else".
                  Of course, at the end of the day, that much improved season for RPI didn't help much against that buzz-saw they ran into in Green Bay. At least they finally got back to the tournament again. It's definitely a step in the right direction for that program... and it's getting my wife a little more excited about college hockey again, which is a good thing Let's hope they keep it up (except when they play at Ritter in October, of course )
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Winning OOC games is always a hot topic in our threads. So far things are remaining calm but posters here generally fall into the 2 camps: OOC matter or they don't. Personally I think they tend to be at least more interesting especially when its a non ECAC/NY team.
                    RIT Tigers
                    Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                    Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                    Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                      Let's hope they keep it up (except when they play at Ritter in October, of course )
                      RPI's season ticket brochure states that the game between RPI and RIT is the day after Thanksgiving, November 25th. Do you guys have conflicting information in your schedule release?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        RPI's season ticket brochure states that the game between RPI and RIT is the day after Thanksgiving, November 25th. Do you guys have conflicting information in your schedule release?
                        That's probably true. I didn't really know for sure and was probably just guessing because they faced RPI/Union in October last year.

Comment

looks like the new arena is picking up steam again. Looks like we'll have a top of the line scoreboard: http://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=48251

Comment

I think going 4-3 or 5-2 in OOC. 20-7 or better with no bad losses in conference, and getting to the AHA finals will get you a chance. For the AHA, it's a lot about the RPI (the system, not the school). They need to get to 15th or better in that rating. Usually by doing that, you will win enough of the other catagories to make a differance. It also helps if other teams can win a few OOC games to help out in common opponents.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Nice little story about Tanevs return to the AHL from the Manitoba Moose website - http://www.moosehockey.com/moosenews/407/2359

On the recruits front, only one future Tiger still in playoffs. The BCHL's Powell River Kings with Dan Shuler and Matt Garbowski got swept for the 2nd year in a row by the Vernon Vipers. That series loss means the only RIT recruit left playing is the Wellington Dukes Jordan Ruby. Ruby stopped all 42 shots he faced in leading the Dukes to a 4-0 win and 2-0 series lead in the OJHL finals. It was Ruby's 2nd playoff shutout and he is carrying a 1.67 GAA and a 14-3 record in playing every minute of the Dukes playoff run. NHL Central Scouting has him ranked as the #25 North American goalie.
                              John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                              AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                              AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                              NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                              NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                              NCAA DII - 1983
                              NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Working...
                              X