Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yale Off Season 2011

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    In '06-'07 Rob Madore was between the pipes for the Chicago Steel, one of (or maybe even the worst) team in the USHL, and had a 3.80 GAA and 0.903 Sv%. Not all that different from your incoming recruit. In his freshman year at Vermont Rob had a 2.35 GAA and 0.912 Sv% in a tough HE league. I remember thinking the same you are thinking right now about Rob. Sneddon was quoted as saying however regarding Rob that despite the poor stats Rob was ready and the ton of rubber he was seeing was actually a bonus. Turns out Sneddon was correct. I expect your incoming goaltender will be just fine once he gets on campus and be plenty capable of backstopping the team next year.
    Thanks for the insight, I am sure they would not be looking at him if he did not have at least some talent. The Yale goalie situation next year will be very interesting, the whole corps is basically untested and knowing Allain he will have a wide open competition for the job.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Yale finished number six in both polls, considering the ugly finish, I think the pollsters got Yales ranking correct.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
        The Yale goalie situation next year will be very interesting, the whole corps is basically untested and knowing Allain he will have a wide open competition for the job.
        That isn't much different than the way this season started, is it? Back in October/November everyone was asking about the goalie situation.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

A terrible Spring in 2011 for Yale, Michele Dufault a member of the Yale Band was killed last night in a tragic accident. Thoughts and prayers on her passing.
          http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2...f135149346.txt
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

Chris Higgins scored a goal for Vancouver tonight. As a Hawks fan, this does not make me very happy. But as a Yalie, I say good for him

Comment

NH Register on next season: http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2...6023353429.txt
              Go Blue!

Comment

Some of Yale's all-time greats came out of AOF. Jeff Hamilton & Chris Higgins. More recent AOF players - Sean Backman & Kenny Trentowski. A Yale recruit is still at AOF arriving in New Haven 2012.

Comment

Congrats to Brian O'Neill being maned Yale hockey Captain for 2011-2012, well deserved. Interesting to read his take on "the hit" A friend gave me a ticket to the Yale Team banquet on Monday night, anyone else going to attend?

YALE HOCKEY: Newly appointed captain Brian O'Neill has put loss to Minnesota-Duluth in rearview

Published: Thursday, April 21, 2011

By Chip Malafronte, Register Staff

NEW HAVEN — Brian O’Neill couldn’t bring himself to watch the Frozen Four. Not even for a few minutes. He hit the books, played golf and did just about anything else to keep occupied during college hockey’s showcase event.

“Some of the guys got together to watch it,” said O’Neill, Yale’s leading scorer the past two seasons. “For me, it was too close. I needed to get my mind off hockey for a bit.”

Yale, loaded with talent and experience, played last season with the sole purpose of winning the national championship. Perhaps no one took the Bulldogs’ 5-3 loss to eventual champion Minnesota-Duluth in the East Regional final harder than O’Neill.

His open-ice hit on Duluth’s Jake Hendrickson resulted in a 5-minute major penalty and game misconduct. Just eight seconds after he ignited Yale and a near-sellout crowd in Bridgeport with a goal, O’Neill was kicked out of the game. Duluth wasted little time taking an insurmountable four-goal lead.

“I felt terrible,” said O’Neill, who earlier this week was voted captain for the upcoming season by teammates. “It was the turning point in the game. Immediately after it happened, I was in the locker room getting stitches and all I could think about was that I let the team down. It was a brutal night for me personally, and obviously for the team.”

At the time of the hit, O’Neill said he was surprised when he saw the referee had ruled it a 5-minute major. Surprise turned to disbelief when informed he had been ejected.

O’Neill thought the hit was clean. Hard, certainly. But clean. Video replays from every angle confirmed as much. That was a small consolation to O’Neill.

“I watched the replays,” O’Neill said. “If I had to do it again, I wouldn’t take anything back. I didn’t think it was a dirty hit. If it was illegal, I think I would have had a tougher time getting over it.”

Support came from teammates and coaches, parents and fans. And not just for O’Neill, but for the entire team, which couldn’t shed the feelings of being at rock bottom after the loss.

“He was disappointed; we were all disappointed,” Yale senior Broc Little said. “It’s tough to go out that way. But it wasn’t his fault by any means.”

The Bulldogs take a big hit with the loss of nine seniors, all valuable cogs in the team’s recent run of league championships and NCAA tournament berths. A bottom feeder in ECAC Hockey for much of its existence, Yale is now considered one of the nation’s elite programs.

That fact isn’t lost on O’Neill, who observed the leadership methods of the three previous Yale captains — Matt Nelson, Ryan Donald and Jimmy Martin.

“You can never replace losing those nine seniors, and what they brought to the table,” O’Neill said. “But we still have a lot of depth coming back, some of it not showed last year. There are guys who will get the opportunity to show what they have, and with a good freshman class we should be able to adjust to the losses.”

O’Neill, a Yardley, Pa., native, has 91 points over the past two seasons and was a finalist for the ECAC player of the year award. An electric player on the ice, he’s as much of a presence in the locker room. His teammates, in a preseason survey, voted O’Neill as the player with the best sense of humor.

“He’s an extremely hard worker, if not the hardest-working guy on the team,” Little said. “I think he’ll be similar to (Martin). Jim wasn’t too vocal before this year, but as a captain he kind of slid into that role. You could feel his authority. (O’Neill) will do a great job. He’s already one of the bigger talkers on the team.”
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Yes, I agree completely on the selection of Brian O'Neill as captain. The rising senior class has a lot of very good players and leaders, but next year will be the first in some time where the freshmen will need to contribute significantly to the success of the team. Often the difference in performance between 1st year players is their commitment to the success of the team, and with O'Neill leading by example, the effort and commitment will not be lacking.

Comment

Little Signs with Swedish League Team

Broc Little
                      Sixth Class of 2011 Eli To Begin Pro Career

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The waiting is over for Broc Little. While five of his Yale hockey teammates were skating for professional teams in early April hoping to earn contracts this fall, Little was waiting for something better. The senior from Rindge, N.H., may have gotten just that when he signed a one-year deal with Vasteras from the Swedish Allsvenskan League.

"Most people don't go straight overseas after college but I was presented a good opportunity. I discussed the situation with numerous people, and they only had good things to say about it," said Little, who reports to the team on August 1 and becomes a free agent after next season.

Little, who could be re-signed by Vasteras or ink a deal with a team from the states, will skate with former North Dakota player David Lundbohm, the only other American on the Swedish team.

Comment

Another article on Broc from the NH Register:
                        http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2...a488942830.txt
                        Go Blue!

Comment

I had the distinct honor of attending the Yale Mens Hockey Banquet this evening. For the first time the banquet was held on the unfrozen concrete of Ingalls Rink. It was a nice night with a few sound issues,but cool nonetheless. I will not recite the litany of awards, just posting a couple of pics.
                          *****http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=462594&stc=1&d=1303791917******

*****http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=462595&stc=1&d=1303791917******

*****http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=462596&stc=1&d=1303791917******
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

Big news about Guy Gadowski leaving Princeton for Penn State. There was some suggestion on the Princeton off season thread that Kyle Wallack could be a good fit there given his recruiting success within the confines of Ivy requirements and his overall role in Yale's success

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                              I had the distinct honor of attending the Yale Mens Hockey Banquet this evening. For the first time the banquet was held on the unfrozen concrete of Ingalls Rink. It was a nice night with a few sound issues,but cool nonetheless. I will not recite the litany of awards, just posting a couple of pics.

*****http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=462596&stc=1&d=1303791917******
                              Why is Yale losing 10 - 11?
                              Originally posted by Hokydad
                              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                                Why is Yale losing 10 - 11?
                                At least according to the tags, they're overrated cupcakes. Plus, you gotta watch out for that team from Hockey, they're brutal.

Comment

Working...
                                X