Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Off Season Thread 2011

Originally posted by UNHFan1 View Post
    Just curious what everyone thinks of Downing for next season. I have read some good things. I mean, are we thinking he is going to jump right into the first line as a freshman? Is he a pro prospect as well?
    From the "UNH Recruits - 2011 & 2012" thread:

Originally posted by C-H-C:
    After missing Games 3 thru 6 in the BCHL Semifinals with an upper body injury, 2011 Recruit Grayson Downing, returned to the lineup for Game 7. Unfortunately, the Vernon Vipers defeated the Westside Warriors 2-1, ending Westside's season and, in all likelihood, Grayson Downing's junior career:
    http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_...118189289.html
    As the article points out, Downing plans to enroll at UNH next fall.

Grayson Downing had an outstanding regular season in the British Columbia Hockey League. Despite missing 4 games while playing for Team Canada in the World Junior A Challenge and 4 other games due to injury, Downing accomplished the following BCHL rankings:
    ~ 7th in Goals
    ~ 12th in Scoring
    ~ 4th in Powerplay Goals
    ~ 2nd in Shorthanded Goals
    Many UNH fans are looking forward to watching Downing play for UNH next season.
    In 2010, Downing was ranked 144th on the NHL Central Scouting's "Final Rankings" for North American Skaters but he was not selected in the June, 2010 NHL Entry Draft. This year, Downing did not appear on either Central Scouting's "Players to Watch" list (Oct. 2010) or "Midterm Rankings" (Jan. 2011).
    Last edited by C-H-C; 04-01-2011, 06:56 AM.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

In today's Fosters

UNH's nonconference schedule for next season includes two games against St. Cloud (Minn.) State and one each against Alabama-Huntsville, Dartmouth, RPI, Niagara and Union

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
        Anyone know if the Verizon will host the regionals again in '13? I don't think they have anything announced past next season do they? (and somehow Bridgeport got 'em 2 years in a row?)
        If it weren't for Merrimack the regional would have been a disaster, UNH-Notre Dame drew less than the capacity of the Whitt. Also, how do concessions run out of food between games? It's not rocket science that with a no re-admittance policy there will be a rush for food between games, especially when the layover falls right around dinner time. Very disappointed with how things went in Manchester.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Whitt View Post
          If it weren't for Merrimack the regional would have been a disaster, UNH-Notre Dame drew less than the capacity of the Whitt. Also, how do concessions run out of food between games? It's not rocket science that with a no re-admittance policy there will be a rush for food between games, especially when the layover falls right around dinner time. Very disappointed with how things went in Manchester.
          The 8pm Sunday night game didn't help things at all either.

Comment

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
            In today's Fosters

UNH's nonconference schedule for next season includes two games against St. Cloud (Minn.) State and one each against Alabama-Huntsville, Dartmouth, RPI, Niagara and Union
            That's an awful non-con schedule. No more making fun of Maine or Northeastern

edit:
            on the schedules thread, the RPI schedule is posted:
            http://www.rpiathletics.com/document...YOrderForm.pdf
            and there's no mention of New Hampshire and its a full 34 game schedule (2 non-con games are confirmed but not scheduled vs Union and Bentley), so I'm not sure where that leaves us. still, that's a weeeeeeak schedule and could hurt UNH if they don't win all or at least the majority of them. They won't have the advantage of a strong OOC schedule to boost the PWR...
            Last edited by WildShawn; 04-01-2011, 11:11 AM.

Comment

edit:
              and there's no mention of New Hampshire and its a full 34 game schedule (2 non-con games are confirmed but not scheduled vs Union and Bentley), so I'm not sure where that leaves us. still, that's a weeeeeeak schedule and could hurt UNH if they don't win all or at least the majority of them. They won't have the advantage of a strong OOC schedule to boost the PWR...
              It might be one of the weakest ones I have seen in a long time, will make games against the top HE mean even more in the pairwise. Would like to see them going back to doing some sort of tourney around Christmas to get them going for teh 2nd half of the year.

Comment

Meaning the 4x4 regional system, or the hosting system? I hadn't heard anything, would be interested in learning more about this! That would explain the delay as it seems like we know regional sites years in advance...
                I have no concrete info, just seems there's more talk than usual. I've heard mentions on a couple of chats and think I heard on a tv broadcast that the NCAA is at least looking at doing something different. Couple that with the fact that they haven't even solicited bids beyond next year (was reported in TNH) and I figure they're at least looking at their options.

Perhaps its just wishful thinking on my part. I hate the four regional setup. College hockey aint basketball, and I think that the current system actually yields inferior matchups. I've always been a fan of two regionals, and even the most ardent supporter of the four regions have to admit that at least in terms of attendance they have fallen short of the old system.

Comment

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                  Would like to see them going back to doing some sort of tourney around Christmas to get them going for teh 2nd half of the year.
                  Absolutely agree. The 3 week rest period is a momentum killer. I still have nightmares about the Cornell game at the Whit last year.

Comment

Not trying to change the subject, but I'm a little jealous of those season ticket prices.

edit:
                    Bobby Butler for Hobey 2010
                    Paul Thompson for Hobey 2011
                    Stevie Moses for Hobey 2012

Comment

Jacob Micflikier shows Paul Thompson a thing or two - scoring 2 goals during Thompson's first game in the AHL. Thompson did have an assist:
                      http://theahl.com/stats/official-gam...ame_id=1008449
                      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by pgv View Post
                        ...Couple that with the fact that they haven't even solicited bids beyond next year (was reported in TNH) and I figure they're at least looking at their options...
                        Also in that article the Deputy A.D. Steve Metcalf (who serves as UNH's tournament director) is quoted as saying that UNH is fully prepared to place bids for 2013, 2015 and and every odd year after that as soon as the NCAA begins to accept bids for those years. I too however would like to see a change in the tournament design, not sure exactly how I feel it should be done but I don't feel the current setup reflects well upon college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by jml42691 View Post
                          I too however would like to see a change in the tournament design, not sure exactly how I feel it should be done but I don't feel the current setup reflects well upon college hockey.
                          As much as I don't like the current system, there is no easy way to fix it. (See the dozen page thread on the subject.) So I fear that the NCAA might just stick with it for lack of a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by pgv View Post
                            As much as I don't like the current system, there is no easy way to fix it. (See the dozen page thread on the subject.) So I fear that the NCAA might just stick with it for lack of a better option.
                            The NCAA is facing problems in both basketball and hockey with regional attendance. I really think that some of their seeding rules need to go to keep teams closer to home, if attendance is really a factor. Sending Boston College out to St. Louis and bringing Miami to Manchester solely happened for seeding reasons, I think both schools would have been more successful in attendance had the conference rules been disregarded. UNH, BC and Merrimack in Manchester would have helped a ton, and Miami in St. Louis certainly would have helped. Hockey isn't a big enough sport to really avoid conference matchups anyway, what is the difference between a first round and second round conference matchup at this point anyway?

(I know I'm going to get killed for this post)
                            UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
                              The NCAA is facing problems in both basketball and hockey with regional attendance. I really think that some of their seeding rules need to go to keep teams closer to home, if attendance is really a factor. Sending Boston College out to St. Louis and bringing Miami to Manchester solely happened for seeding reasons, I think both schools would have been more successful in attendance had the conference rules been disregarded. UNH, BC and Merrimack in Manchester would have helped a ton, and Miami in St. Louis certainly would have helped. Hockey isn't a big enough sport to really avoid conference matchups anyway, what is the difference between a first round and second round conference matchup at this point anyway?

(I know I'm going to get killed for this post)
                              I'm not going to kill you, but you can't have a reprise of the Hockey East finals one week later. I agree that the system has to be tweaked, but more along the lines of really determining who deserves to be a #1 seed and, by extension, who doesn't belong in the final 16. I really had no problem with any of the 16 teams who made it (even RPI) this year, but I had a real problem with Yale being a #1 seed. An OT win vs. auto bid Air Force, then a thrashing by UMD (the 4th or 5th best team in the WCHA) says to me that the Yalies don't belong, despite being extolled by Barry Melrose. Union, with their 33% PP (but 0-9 vs UMD), was another one. It's not so much that they made the tournament, but how they were seeded that bothered me. Neither team was worthy IMO.

As far as how to work the regionals, I go back to the days when the top two teams in ECAC and the top two in the WCHA got to the FF. It wasn't until the mid-70's that CCHA teams were allowed to get a bid. I can't remember which school it was, but one year they had 30+ wins during the regular season and were not in the NCAA's. In the 80's the tournament expanded to 8 teams, with the quarterfinals played at home rinks (this is how UNH got to the FF in '82, by beating Michigan St. at Snively). This format lasted into the early '90's when they finally went to off campus sites. I think that first there were two regionals with four teams apiece (UNH played in one at Providence in '92), then four regionals with 3 teams (UNH in '99 had a first round bye), then in the early '00's the tournament was expanded to 16 teams with no automatic byes (UNH in Worcester in '03).

There is no way they can expand the tournament yet again. And I don't think that they will go back to on-campus sites for the round of 16 and 8, even though it would increase the likelihood of sellouts. Instead, I think that the NCAA has to become more judicious as to where the regionals are held and what teams are seeded into each one. Eastern teams in the east, Western teams in the west except for the bottom four I would think. Even then, not sure if attendance would be much better than it is now. I guess not fool proof answer.

Comment

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...2011040343vpv2

Sislo signs with the Devils to report to Albany. Congrats Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X