Union Hockey 2011 Off Season Thread-"Union, We've Paid Our Dues"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union Hockey 2011 Off Season Thread-"Union, We've Paid Our Dues"

Congratulations to Leaman. Union has made fantastic strides recently, and, from across the river, it's great to see.
    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...iews_3_for.php

Just saw this on the PC thread

Comment

Congratulations indeed to Nate Leaman on this well deserved and prestigious award. Should be a great Garnet Blades banquet on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHCKYfan2323 View Post
          Not sure what to make of this in view of Ken Schott's blog entry in post #57.

Comment

Congrats to coach Leaman on the Penrose! Very well-deserved!
            Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

and congrats to Leaman for being hired at Providence. You heard it here first. been lying to a lot of you peeps

Comment

Originally posted by 'MackFan View Post
                and congrats to Leaman for being hired at Providence. You heard it here first. been lying to a lot of you peeps
                Source or it didn't happen.

Comment

Again, it's nice to see the program getting the well deserved recognition with post season accolades. Congrats to all the recipients.
                  Can't say I like hearing all the rumors, articles, etc about coaches and players moving around. Seems you can't really trust anything you hear, so we'll just wait to see where all the cards fall later in the year. I just can't ride the emotional roller coaster this time of year!

Comment

Congrats to Leaman.

It just sounds a little bit dissonant, though, when an ECAC coach wins it after "merely" finishing in first place, flaming out of the conference quarterfinals, and going 0-1 in the NCAA tourney. If Mike Schafer accomplished that, fans would be calling for his head, not congratulating him on picking up a national award. And it's not as if Union's 26-10-4 came out of nowhere, considering their 21-12-6 record last season. This is not in any way, shape, or form a criticism of Leaman - it's a raised eyebrow at the voters in years past.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      Congrats to Leaman.

It just sounds a little bit dissonant, though, when an ECAC coach wins it after "merely" finishing in first place, flaming out of the conference quarterfinals, and going 0-1 in the NCAA tourney. If Mike Schafer accomplished that, fans would be calling for his head, not congratulating him on picking up a national award. And it's not as if Union's 26-10-4 came out of nowhere, considering their 21-12-6 record last season. This is not in any way, shape, or form a criticism of Leaman - it's a raised eyebrow at the voters in years past.
                      I don't necessarily disagree with your analysis, but I'm wondering when the actual voting takes place, i.e. before during or after the postseason? I also think that part of the rationale for Nate Leaman getting the kudos he has is that he his accomplishments have been achieved by overcoming huge obstacles which his fellow coaches who I think vote on the award, undoubtedly recognize. No scholarships, no Ivy league cache to attract recruits, very, very limited resources and tepid but warming support from the school administration. These are all factors that coaches like Mike Schafer do not have to deal with. I just hope Nate isn't tired of dealing with them too and sticks around for a while longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                        I don't necessarily disagree with your analysis, but I'm wondering when the actual voting takes place, i.e. before during or after the postseason?
                        It has to be after at least the regionals considering that the only coaches eligible are the individual conference CotY winners and coaches of the teams in the Frozen Four.
                        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Ken Schott: Leaman speaks to Providence College about head coaching job

"Monday night, Union hockey coach Nate Leaman said he wasn't interested in the vacant Providence College head coaching job.

On Wednesday, Leaman was in Providence to discuss the vacancy."

Comment

Originally posted by Union93 View Post
                            It is worth repeating, in my opinion the Nate bashing is the most ridiculous pile of CRAP I have ever read on any Union thread. End of story.
                            Couldn't agree with you more. If Coach Leaman leaves, I will be devastated. Not only has he made this program respectable, but he has turned us into a National Contender. Go figure. Union fans are calling for Coach Leaman's head an then he wins the National Coach of the Year award a few days later.

Why would he leave Union for Providence? That would be an enormously crushing blow to this program.
                            LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                              Couldn't agree with you more. If Coach Leaman leaves, I will be devastated. Not only has he made this program respectable, but he has turned us into a National Contender. Go figure. Union fans are calling for Coach Leaman's head an then he wins the National Coach of the Year award a few days later.

Why would he leave Union for Providence? That would be an enormously crushing blow to this program.
                              Just to set the record straight, I don't see where anyone has been calling for NL's head. In any event, I don't think anyone should be surprised that he is a hot commodity. If the Coach of the Year did not receive some serious consideration from other programs, that would be the surprise. I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but I am guessing or at least hoping that the College is giving some serious thought to what they can do to keep Coach Leaman at the College. Included in that process needs to be an affirmation of the College's commitment to doing what it takes to compete on a national level including a hard look at compensating Nate Leaman at least on a par with other ECAC coaches and possible upgrades to the facilities. I don't see him finishing out his career at Union without such moves by the Administration. All of this is speculation and maybe he is using the PC job as leverage in his negotiations with Union, who knows? Nate's first obligation is to do what is best for his family and I for one do not begrudge him that. He is in the sweet spot right now and deservedly so. I can't imagine there is any coach who works any harder than he does.

Bottom line, I hope he stays...for a long time...but regardless, if he were to go, he will be leaving this program in a much better place than when he started and I for one will be wishing him well.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                                Just to set the record straight, I don't see where anyone has been calling for NL's head. In any event, I don't think anyone should be surprised that he is a hot commodity. If the Coach of the Year did not receive some serious consideration from other programs, that would be the surprise. I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but I am guessing or at least hoping that the College is giving some serious thought to what they can do to keep Coach Leaman at the College. Included in that process needs to be an affirmation of the College's commitment to doing what it takes to compete on a national level including a hard look at compensating Nate Leaman at least on a par with other ECAC coaches and possible upgrades to the facilities. I don't see him finishing out his career at Union without such moves by the Administration. All of this is speculation and maybe he is using the PC job as leverage in his negotiations with Union, who knows? Nate's first obligation is to do what is best for his family and I for one do not begrudge him that. He is in the sweet spot right now and deservedly so. I can't imagine there is any coach who works any harder than he does.

Bottom line, I hope he stays...for a long time...but regardless, if he were to go, he will be leaving this program in a much better place than when he started and I for one will be wishing him well.
                                I really don't think any of us should be surprised at this - the program has been taking steps over the past few years to become a more nationally-recognized program and Nate is the biggest reason for that. We knew other programs would come calling sooner or later...I just prefer it would be later.

Funny - as soon as I heard of the ACHA award, I got two people telling me how bad this was for Union. I know why they said that, but at least give me some satisfaction in enjoying the recognition.
                                Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X