PDA

View Full Version : BU Recruiting Update, Part 3

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Federal League
03-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Old thread's locked.

Forgot to mention this last week, but goalie Matthew O'Connor will not be coming next season unless Millan or Rollheiser leaves, which is not expected to happen. The third-string goalie next year will either be the team's current fourth/practice goalie or a walk-on.

mpereira
03-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Why would Rollheiser stay if Millan stays? He wouldn't be expected to see much ice time all season kinda like this year. Wouldn't it be better for him personally to look somewhere else to get some ice time? I have no problem with him staying and being a solid back-up goalie to push Millan for the fourth straight year but I guess I just don't see his motive to come back.

Federal League
03-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Why would Rollheiser stay if Millan stays? He wouldn't be expected to see much ice time all season kinda like this year. Wouldn't it be better for him personally to look somewhere else to get some ice time? I have no problem with him staying and being a solid back-up goalie to push Millan for the fourth straight year but I guess I just don't see his motive to come back.

I get the impression that he just really likes it here and wants to finish up his degree. I would tend to agree that going elsewhere might be the better move for his hockey career, but I think he'll get a chance to keep playing after college regardless.

buoldtimer
03-28-2011, 02:44 PM
I get the impression that he just really likes it here and wants to finish up his degree. I would tend to agree that going elsewhere might be the better move for his hockey career, but I think he'll get a chance to keep playing after college regardless.

Not that you have any way of knowing this, but I wonder what the Leafs think of this; unless, they've ceased to think of him as a prospect and GR's aware of it.

BUTerrierfan
03-28-2011, 02:46 PM

FL, I think it could go either way. If Rollie wants to play, he may want to get out now and spend the season at some minor league level getting mins in rather than opening the door and MAYBE getting 4-5 games while losing another year of development. If he is convinced he will get the same opportunity after school and he really likes being at BU, then he would likely stay on.

BU Fan 84
03-28-2011, 03:13 PM
I'd like to have our first and second goalies staggered a bit - two in the same class isn't good. I know Millan did it, but how many recruits can come in as freshmen and not need a year to develop a bit?

BUTerrierfan
03-28-2011, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=BU Fan 84;5105170]I'd like to have our first and second goalies staggered a bit - two in the same class isn't good. I know Millan did it, but how many recruits can come in as freshmen and not need a year to develop a bit?[/QUOTE

I agree that staggered goalies are the best situation. IF Rollie were to leave that would allow O'Connor to come in, get a year of college under his belt (how much he would play would depend on Millan and game situations), but that would get him used to, if not completely ready, to take over. Still would need a third goalie, and I'm sure that is not too hard to find.

john g
03-28-2011, 04:01 PM
We had a goalie that staggered a bit and it wasn't all that pretty....:D

BU Hammer
03-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Yeah, the plan as of last year, per Parker, was to bring in a bigger-name goaltending recruit for next season to work under Millan and Rollheiser. I asked Parker about that, knowing they had O'Connor in case but he certainly isn't the impact guy Parker was referring to. Parker kind of sidestepped the question, which leads me to believe either that plan changed for some unknown reason, or, more likely, they just didn't find the impact goalie they were looking for. The fact that they couldn't guarantee a guy an immediate shot at playing time would probably play a big part in that.

slurpees
03-28-2011, 05:30 PM
We had a goalie that staggered a bit and it wasn't all that pretty....:D

posting win.

Rogie21
04-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Hetnik Jr. is now official, according to ESPN Boston. Will play in Omaha or Vernon (BCHL) next season and arrive at BU in 2012.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-school/post/_/id/6689/catholic-memorials-hetnik-commits-to-bu-2

reBlur
04-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Cushing Academy sophomore Robbie Baillargeon visited BU today. Baillargeon is a forward out of Enfield, CT who has been compared to Nick Bonino.

Some stories on him:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=558216&cmpid=rss-morreale

http://www.examiner.com/sports-photography-in-hartford/enfield-hockey-star-moves-up-to-high-level-prep-school-play

CDRAL
04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Does that mean he won't stay 4 years?

Bumbles
04-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Does that mean he won't stay 4 years?

Ba zing! haha.

But in all seriousness, this kid seems like he would be a very solid pick-up. Any word on whether he committed or not and for what year?

Rogie21
04-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Chris Heisenberg reports that Jarrid Privitera, Alexx's younger brother, has committed to BU. Jarrid is a Zancanaro-sized left-shot forward, who has consistently scored goals. 25-18-43 in 31 games for Gunnery this season. And 27-20-47 in 35 for the North Jersey Avalanche U16s the previous year. Privitera is a junior so he could arrive in 2012 or, if he plays a season of junior, 2013.

reBlur
04-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Ba zing! haha.

But in all seriousness, this kid seems like he would be a very solid pick-up. Any word on whether he committed or not and for what year?

I was doing interviews when he came in so I wasn't listening too closely, but based on what I was able to hear, this was a pretty preliminary visit. I would imagine it would be at least a few months before he makes a decision.

But yeah, his numbers look fantastic. And another Nick Bonino wouldn't be such a bad thing if he wins a national championship too.

Bumbles
04-09-2011, 04:38 PM
I was doing interviews when he came in so I wasn't listening too closely, but based on what I was able to hear, this was a pretty preliminary visit. I would imagine it would be at least a few months before he makes a decision.

But yeah, his numbers look fantastic. And another Nick Bonino wouldn't be such a bad thing if he wins a national championship too.

Heard through the grapevine that he committed. Not sure for which year though, most likely 2013.

goalguard
04-09-2011, 05:49 PM
BU Fan 84
Re: BU Recruiting Update, Part 3

I'd like to have our first and second goalies staggered a bit - two in the same class isn't good. I know Millan did it, but how many recruits can come in as freshmen and not need a year to develop a bit?

Tommy Noble did okay in 94-95. Cashman's best season was his freshman year. And no one seemed to second guess the coaches when they sat Tapp in favor of DiPietro.

The funny thing is that I don't think that's unusual. Muse and Thiessen both had better freshman than sophomore years and I'm sure there are other rookies who step in and do it. Of course, the other end of the spectrum is Michigan's walk-on goalie who didn't get a chance to play until his senior year. He has a game tonight, I'm told.

25 N Countin'
04-10-2011, 12:59 AM
BU Fan 84
Re: BU Recruiting Update, Part 3

Tommy Noble did okay in 94-95. Cashman's best season was his freshman year. And no one seemed to second guess the coaches when they sat Tapp in favor of DiPietro.

The funny thing is that I don't think that's unusual. Muse and Thiessen both had better freshman than sophomore years and I'm sure there are other rookies who step in and do it. Of course, the other end of the spectrum is Michigan's walk-on goalie who didn't get a chance to play until his senior year. He has a game tonight, I'm told.

Hunwick was a junior educationally last year (senior this year) and I'm pretty sure he got a fifth year so he'll be back for Michigan next year. Also, this is not really related to that, but does anyone else see him as Michigan's version of Lerg? Midget goalie who comes in and manages to outdo the college achievements of his more highly touted relative.

Rogie21
04-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Now confirmed by Chris Heisenberg for 2013. Baillargeon, who had 30-34-64 for Cushing as sophomore, picked BU over UNH, NU and Maine.

2012: Polesello, J.Privitera, O'Connor
2013: Baillargeon, Collier, O'Regan, Erne, Grzelcyk
2014: DeAngelo

2013 class thus far is all from New England. That's certainly a change from recent years.