• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East - The Off Season

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
    ( I assume your a BC fan)
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

but im not afraid to defend sanity when someone makes a ridiculous comment, even if its about bc.
    time to write new history

Comment

ha ha well BC fans are well known for using inappropriate pronouns when it comes to their national titles. I always confuse them for someone who can actually skate. Most of them would probably end up using an entire teams tape budget just to stop the ankle bend ;P
      "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
        Speaking of which, if UNH ever wins a national title, I expect this forum to get a heck of a lot more interesting. For now, we shall be relegated to being punching bags for our team's post season flops ( which as of late have not been that bad).
        Not as bad as of late? Did UNH not have an epic meltdown against RIT 13 months ago?!?!?!?

I don't think it would be much different here if UNH won one. The problem is that since UNH was in there banging around for a title in 98 and 99, BC has grabbed three and upped their total to 4. There wouldn't be much to get upset about for BC fans (God knows some of us would love to see it). But at one point, say 1999, BC and UNH could have both had 1 title if UNH didn't choke again in Anaheim (ok I'm exaggerating). Also in the meantime, BU had a title fall out of the sky right into their lap and they are sitting on 5 titles now. So the trash talking there wouldn't have much affect. Maybe in the Maine-UNH threads it would get interesting. Mostly because UNH will have won one title without cheating and Maine would have none without cheating. Otherwise, out goes the "Univ of No Hardware" title up on a shelf with "1949" and really that's it.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          Not as bad as of late? Did UNH not have an epic meltdown against RIT 13 months ago?!?!?!?

I don't think it would be much different here if UNH won one. The problem is that since UNH was in there banging around for a title in 98 and 99, BC has grabbed three and upped their total to 4. There wouldn't be much to get upset about for BC fans (God knows some of us would love to see it). But at one point, say 1999, BC and UNH could have both had 1 title if UNH didn't choke again in Anaheim (ok I'm exaggerating). Also in the meantime, BU had a title fall out of the sky right into their lap and they are sitting on 5 titles now. So the trash talking there wouldn't have much affect. Maybe in the Maine-UNH threads it would get interesting. Mostly because UNH will have won one title without cheating and Maine would have none without cheating. Otherwise, out goes the "Univ of No Hardware" title up on a shelf with "1949" and really that's it.
          Still sour after '93 and '99...I thought you were the one that never cry's..? Must be on other threads..my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
            cry's..?
            really?

Comment

Yes but that was in the second round.

1st as of late UNH actually shows up the first game, hence not as bad (didn't say good).

2nd UNH has gone 3-3 in the last 3 appearences and only one of the 3 losses was a stinker, also qualifying as not as bad (again didn't say good).
              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                Still sour after '93 and '99...I thought you were the one that never cry's..? Must be on other threads..my bad.
                Sour? I think out of the 58 D1 teams, BC fans are the last people that could be sour as of this moment (not even UMD). Not quite. I just think if UNH won one they would have a valid argument that they won one without cheating and Maine couldn't and that would make for quite a spectacle.

Either way, watching Maine go down the drain is fun while some of us wait for UNH's day to come.
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Over the last 3 seasons, UNH has played in 3 NCAA Regionals. Their 3 wins came against higher seeded teams (e.g., this year's defeat of #1 Seed, Miami) and 2 out of the 3 losses were against a higher seeded team. The loss to RIT was the only game against a lower seeded team. The Wildcats wore their away, blue uniforms in 5 out of the 6 games.
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

I'd really be surprised if UNH doesn't get a national title at some point in the near future. Eventually things will line up for them and they will pull it off.

Just for fun this is ranking of HE teams most likely to win a national title in the next 25 years who do not already have a national title.
                    1. UNH
                    2. UVM
                    3. Northeastern
                    4. UMass
                    5. UML
                    6. Providence
                    7. Merimack

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                      I'd really be surprised if UNH doesn't get a national title at some point in the near future. Eventually things will line up for them and they will pull it off.
                      Why would you be really surprised if they weren't able to win it with much better teams than what they've had the past few years/will most likely have the next few?

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                        Yes but that was in the second round.

1st as of late UNH actually shows up the first game, hence not as bad (didn't say good).

2nd UNH has gone 3-3 in the last 3 appearences and only one of the 3 losses was a stinker, also qualifying as not as bad (again didn't say good).
                        Sure, but "post season flops" has to include some rather pedestrian efforts in the HE tourney too. I still have to think that a bad/mediocre effort in the HE tourney followed by a Rd 1 win followed by a Rd 2 collapse is still going to net out to be a bad postseason performance IMO (2010).

2008:
                        HE tourney: UNH blows huge lead in semifinals, loses twice to BC in overtime
                        NCAA tourney: Putrid performance against Notre Dame in 1st Round.

2009:
                        HE tourney: UNH gets swept at home in the QFs by BC
                        NCAA tourney: UNH shocks North Dagoata and gets moral victory "we didn't get blown out" vs. BU. UNH really should have won this game but probably shouldn't have won the day prior so I guess it all worked out.

2010:
                        HE tourney: Another QF stinker to UVM of all people. Yikes.
                        NCAA tourney: Nice win over Cornell and then an epic collapse against barely D1 RIT (after Denver choked and paved a nice road to Detroit).

2011:
                        HE tourney: 4-1 loss to Merrimack in the semis. Meh.
                        NCAA tourney: Impressive 3-1 win over Miami, tough 2-1 loss to Notre Dame.

So really, 2011 was clearly not a flop. 2009 was certainly not a flop either but not great. But 2010 and 2008... not pretty. And no FFs or even a trip to the HE finals in any of those years. 2 years out of the last 4 UNH didn't even make it to the Garden (with home ice). But maybe 2 of the last 3 being not that bad of a flop is an upward trend? One can hope!

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post

Just for fun this is ranking of HE teams most likely to win a national title in the next 25 years who do not already have a national title.
                          1. UNH
                          2. UVM
                          3. Northeastern
                          4. UMass
                          5. UML
                          6. Providence
                          7. Merimack
                          This is a tough thing to do because you either have new coaches in at programs that really have no chance in heck anyway (PC, UML) or have coaches that are on the way out in one way or another (Dennehy to move up and replace York?, Toot because he absolutely stinks, maybe Cronin because he's a cheater or that he hates the fact he got caught/suspended for cheating and could be leaving for an AHL job in the next few weeks even though he denied it). Umile doesn't seem like he's going anywhere and they are the best of the teams on this list so that is a big plus. And UVM does have the 2nd best coach (not sure why he keeps recruiting guys with character issues) and some good talent coming in over the next few years and he's the 2nd most secure guy behind the bench between all of the teams (although he could perhaps move on to bigger and better at some point as well).

At the end of the day, I'd say UNH and UVM are the only teams with a chance of winning a title in the next 25 yrs. UNH will win one eventually (probably when Umile is gone).

Comment

So really, 2011 was clearly not a flop. 2009 was certainly not a flop either but not great. But 2010 and 2008... not pretty. And no FFs or even a trip to the HE finals in any of those years. 2 years out of the last 4 UNH didn't even make it to the Garden (with home ice). But maybe 2 of the last 3 being not that bad of a flop is an upward trend? One can hope!
                            Heck I didn't go in that much detail but came to the same conclusion better, not good but better.

I would say 2010 was better than 2008 they at least arrived at the NCAAs for a game (baby steps at this point). Also 2008 was a talented team that puked, 2010 was a marginal team that beat a better opponent (but it was only Cornell) and then puked. So playing like crap as a 3 seed against RIT was not nearly as bad as playing like crap as a 1 seed (tallest midget argument).

Basically UNH has been just terrible since the last trip to the frozen 4, where they overachieved just to get that far, until 3 years ago. Now they have 2 years of "ehh", and one of "well that sucked", but in my mind clearly better than terrible.
                            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

maybe Cronin because he's a cheater or that he hates the fact he got caught/suspended for cheating and could be leaving for an AHL job in the next few weeks even though he denied it).
                              You casually call the man a "cheater" on these boards. I doubt that you or anyone else here would have the cajones to do it to his face.

Do you actually know what he and Albie did that might have caused the sanctions that were imposed on them? The answer is NO, you don't. You know what was in the media or exaggerated in blogs. Great sources at times, but not this time! The University has not made the details public, although a few of us who are close to the coachs know the real story.

While I believe it would be inappropriate to share the details with you, I can say unequivocally that the alleged texting violations had absolutely nothing to do with competitve recruiting and that texts were not made to any athlete that another school was recruiting. The violations would have been of a technical nature and are nothing that deserve to call acts of cheating.

Perhaps it would be an act of strong character on your part to refrain from accusing someone before you have all the facts and before you have learned what it is that he may have done.
                              Last edited by Ryecheers; 04-28-2011, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
                                You casually call the man a "cheater" on these boards. I doubt that you or anyone else here would have the cajones to do it to his face.

Do you actually know what he and Albie did that mighthave cause the sanctions we imposed on them? The answer is NO, you don't. You know what was in the media or exaggerated in blogs. Great sources at times, but not this time! The University has not made the details public, although a few of us who are close to the coachs know the real story.

While I believe it would be inappropriate to share the details with you, I can say unequivocally that the alleged texting violations had absolutely nothing to do with competitve recruiting and that were not made to any athlete that another school was recruiting. The violations would have been of a technical nature and are nothing that deserve to call acts of cheating.

Perhaps it would be an act of strong character on your part to refrain from accusing someone before you have all the facts and before you have learned what it is that he may have done.
                                Did he violate the NCAAs rules in a way that the atheletic department felt the need to suspend him?

Comment

Working...
                                X