• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East - The Off Season

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/06/0...g-hockey-east/

Comment

I'd be surprised if Notre Dame joined Hockey East. The other conferences would surely take a turn for the worse and there would be so much traveling! As previously stated though, if they were to join, the obvious 12th member would be UConn, Miami or Syracuse (if they ever decide to start up a program) IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
        I'd be surprised if Notre Dame joined Hockey East. The other conferences would surely take a turn for the worse and there would be so much traveling! As previously stated though, if they were to join, the obvious 12th member would be UCONN, Miami or Syracuse (if they ever decide to start up a program) IMO.
        Notre Dame isn't dismissing it though. If Notre Dame thinks HE would be the best fit they will join in. HE will let them in. Furthermore unless Syracuse is willing to bite the bullet and start a mens team UCONN will be the 12 member so that the schedule would be balanced. It would be interesting to see potentially 3 big east teams in HE. That would mean among D1 schools in HE it would be 1 CAA, 1A10, 4 AmerEast, 1 ACC , and 3 BE.

Comment

I'd much rather Quinnipiac than UConn. Just saying.
          #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
            I'd much rather Quinnipiac than UConn. Just saying.
            It will be Notre Dame's call though. I am sure that ND would rather promote one of its fellow BE members than Quinnipac.

Comment

ND isnt the end all. great team and program but they dont pick and choose where they play.
              They also would have zero say in who else got in, if HE expanded. Teams in HE travel once or twice a year. Very expensive to do so. If you add in ND, it will knock a tournament etc out of their schedule.

HE is just fine as is and I doubt the teams care if ND is involved. Love playing them but not so at the expense fo missing out on a tournament with Denver, Minn and others

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                It will be Notre Dame's call though. I am sure that ND would rather promote one of its fellow BE members than Quinnipac.
                UConn would have to come up with 18 scholarships for the men's team before HE would even consider them.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

They'd also have to increase their rink's seating capacity. In comparison, Volpe looks practically palatial.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                    ND isnt the end all. great team and program but they dont pick and choose where they play.
                    They also would have zero say in who else got in, if HE expanded. Teams in HE travel once or twice a year. Very expensive to do so. If you add in ND, it will knock a tournament etc out of their schedule.

HE is just fine as is and I doubt the teams care if ND is involved. Love playing them but not so at the expense fo missing out on a tournament with Denver, Minn and others
                    You sound like you are posting from a Merrimack/UM-Lowell point-of-view................

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                      You sound like you are posting from a Merrimack/UM-Lowell point-of-view................
                      no, every school.
                      BC/BU etc was the driving force behind the "area" restictions etc.

ND stay out there with the rest of the mid western teams. Hockey East is Hockey East

Play them in tournament or once every few years but not mandated yearly

Comment

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/20...me_looking.php

Gotta love NEHJ describing the conference as "Big East". They seem to make major typos in everything I read.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                          no, every school.
                          BC/BU etc was the driving force behind the "area" restictions etc.

ND stay out there with the rest of the mid western teams. Hockey East is Hockey East

Play them in tournament or once every few years but not mandated yearly
                          Really?

It seems like the only schools that would be effected by extra travel significantly would be UML and Merimack.

Umass-In A10 travel for every sport somewhat and they will do some Midwestern travel for when the football team starts playing fbs.
                          NU-CAA does a large amount of travel in every other sport to VA.
                          BC-ACC nearest conference member is in Virginia so they travel a ton.
                          Maine, BU, UVM, UNH-The hockey team does a trip out west it seems once a year to twice a year.
                          Providence-Big East they will do travel all over the place in every other sport.

Seems like UML and Merrimack are the only schools that would have a significant increase in their travel expenses for their respective athletic departments.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                            Really?

It seems like the only schools that would be effected by extra travel significantly would be UML and Merimack.

Umass-In A10 travel for every sport somewhat and they will do some Midwestern travel for when the football team starts playing fbs.
                            NU-CAA does a large amount of travel in every other sport to VA.
                            BC-ACC nearest conference member is in Virginia so they travel a ton.
                            Maine, BU, UVM, UNH-The hockey team does a trip out west it seems once a year to twice a year.
                            Providence-Big East they will do travel all over the place in every other sport.

Seems like UML and Merrimack are the only schools that would have a significant increase in their travel expenses for their respective athletic departments.
                            Problem is those are the two teams with arguably the least ability to spend that additional money. Although, the article in the Maine newspaper makes it sound like we're getting some increased interest in tv rights, and if Notre Dame+12th team joined, we could possibly stand to make a nice little increase in tv revenue.

One thing that interested me in the Main artile was the mention of Versus possibly interested in games. I have no idea how interested they are or how much money they'd be interested in putting toward it, but it could add a significant amount of tv money into college hockey, and where Hockey East could stand to benefit greatly.

Comment

I think it'd be neat if Providence could work out some sort of basketball/hockey weekend with Notre Dame if ND joined hockey east...
                              Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
                                Problem is those are the two teams with arguably the least ability to spend that additional money. Although, the article in the Maine newspaper makes it sound like we're getting some increased interest in tv rights, and if Notre Dame+12th team joined, we could possibly stand to make a nice little increase in tv revenue.

One thing that interested me in the Main artile was the mention of Versus possibly interested in games. I have no idea how interested they are or how much money they'd be interested in putting toward it, but it could add a significant amount of tv money into college hockey, and where Hockey East could stand to benefit greatly.
                                Not just TV revenue.

There is also the potential for better sponsorship deals for the league and better attendance for almost all the teams.

Notre Dame is a big time program and a visit by them could/should cause an increase in attendance for HE Tourney and regular season games due to fact that they: have a large alumni base in the northeast, for whatever reason still have a lot of people who are fans of the school even though they have no affiliation with them, and general interest from casual fans who maybe wouldn't go to say a normal UML or UMass home game but could be drawn in by that Notre Dame brand name.

Comment

Working...
                                X