Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND Fighting Sioux vs. UM Wolverines

Originally posted by wooderson View Post
    Eh I mean Frattin's good, don't get me wrong (or do, because you want to.) But Jaden Schwartz is pretty good too, and his line got more goals against BC than shots against Michigan.
    the Pony Express is a different animal than Schwartz's line

Comment

I think all these highly complimentary Gopher fans in here are trying to jinx the Sioux!
      Originally posted by Youngblood11 View Post
      Denver was out of gas, funny how the NCAA made adjustments so 3 CCHA teams weren't in the same regoinal bracket. I think the overall the WCHA teams were ranked by how things went in the WCHA but the strength of the WCHA this year was not accounted for. Very easily could have been 4 WCHA teams in the finals had the regions allowed it.
      The PWR rankings take the entire season into account, including conference and non-conference games. It is unfortunate that UND and DU were in the same regional, but the brackets were very predictable based on the math.

I don't agree that it could "Very easily have been 4 WCHA teams in the finals...". UND and DU are really good, I think one of them could have won if they had ended up in the Northeastern regional, but we don't know that. The games would have had to have been played and PWR didn't justify sending one of them there. Obviously UMD won their regional. But we had two teams in the west, and Michigan came out, not CC or UNO. We had a chance to get three teams in, we managed two. That right there says we wouldn't have gotten four. And, by the way, we should be thrilled that we have two teams in and have a chance at an all-WCHA final, not moaning because the brackets were set up exactly as the should have been.
      Originally posted by Youngblood11 View Post
      Michgan plays the same physical style as UND it will come down to goaltending and Special Teams.......who can stay out of the box.

UND vs UMD for the Final. Xcel will be rockin.
      Yeah, UND and Michigan should be a great matchup. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully, the Sioux will be able to get past Michigan and have a chance at #8.
      sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Go ahead and stop Matt Frattin. Any of the other 9 guys who scored this weekend will still light you up. UND's second line would be the top line on nearly every other team. The 3rd line is easily the most skilled in college hockey. Hakstol also isn't scared to roll out the 4th line, as they put the puck in the net every couple of games too.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
          As a UND grad who works with people who think soccer is the most exciting thing ever and probably don't even know what hockey is...I feel left out.
          You work in Europe?
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            As a UND grad who works with people who think soccer is the most exciting thing ever and probably don't even know what hockey is...I feel left out.
            It's your job to educate them man! Get a bracket posted. Run and office pool. Have them checking scores and highlights online during breaks!
            Eh I mean Frattin's good, don't get me wrong (or do, because you want to.) But Jaden Schwartz is pretty good too, and his line got more goals against BC than shots against Michigan.
            Originally posted by willythekid View Post
            the Pony Express is a different animal than Schwartz's line
            I would say the biggest difference here is that you can't just focus on the Frattin-Malone-Trupp line. That's our top line, sure. But after they go to the bench we roll out lines with guys like Corbin Knight (14-30-44), Jason Gregoire (25-18-43), Brett Hextall (13-16-29), Danny Kristo (8-20-28), and Brock Nelson (8-13-21). Kristo would probably have 35-40 points if he hadn't missed 10 games at the end of the year. That's on top of Frattin (36-24-60), Trupp (17-24-41), and Malone (16-24-40). UND's 12 goals in the regionals were scored by 10 different players. CC just can't throw that kind of depth out on the ice. CC's top three scorers are all on their top line. Our #2 and #3 scorers are not on our top line. So if you put your best defenders out to shut down Frattin et al., they aren't on the ice when we send out other guys who average more than a point per game.

This isn't to take anything away from Michigan and what you did to the Schwartz line, that was impressive. But UND can put two lines on the ice with numbers pretty similar to those boasted by the Schwartz line. Many of UND's top scorers are also bigger than the guys on the Schwartz line, and will play more of a power game.
            Last edited by ecbrevik; 03-28-2011, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
              So your argument is now that BC sucks. That doesn't seem really all that relevant here but ummm, ok.
              Yeah, you really parsed out my argument there. Great stuff. I can see how it's taken fifty-two thousand posts to hone your craft.

Comment

My craft was honed 527 posts in actually. Thank you for your belief in me though, it means an awful lot.
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Yeah, you really parsed out my argument there. Great stuff. I can see how it's taken fifty-two thousand posts to hone your craft.
                  Was your original argument that North Dakota will be so scared of Merrill that they will run the #1 goal scorer in college hockey on their last line? If so I hope your team thinks the same way you do...

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                    This isn't to take anything away from Michigan and what you did to the Schwartz line, that was impressive. But UND can put two lines on the ice with numbers pretty similar to those boasted by the Schwartz line. Many of UND's top scorers are also bigger than the guys on the Schwartz line, and will play more of a power game.
                    The same can be said of Miami. How did they fare this weekend?

Comment

Was your original argument that North Dakota will be so scared of Merrill that they will run the #1 goal scorer in college hockey on their last line? If so I hope your team thinks the same way you do...
                      Ah no just that since ND has the last change they will go for favorable match-ups like Frattin's line against Michigan's other defense pairings. Hence it will be good to have Burlon back. And apparently that BC sucks. You guys took it and ran with it from there.

That's ok though, it's better than our usual regular season arguments with Miami fans who just get mad and start negging immediately.

Comment

He made a comment that he thinks N.Dak would try to keep Frattin away from Merrill, that was all. I guess that Michigan has no players that compare to Frattin and to Dakota as a whole. And i am sure our team will be prepared to play against ALL the great Dakota players. Michigan is the underdog in this game, but can win this game.
                        Infrequent poster, frequent reader.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                          The same can be said of Miami. How did they fare this weekend?
                          No doubt, and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying UND is unstoppable and Michigan has no chance. Michigan has a heck of a team, and this should be a great game. I'm just pointing out that UND and CC are different challenges.

BTW, Michigan didn't fare so well against Miami this year.
                          Originally posted by kjaskolski View Post
                          He made a comment that he thinks N.Dak would try to keep Frattin away from Merrill, that was all. I guess that Michigan has no players that compare to Frattin and to Dakota as a whole. And i am sure our team will be prepared to play against ALL the great Dakota players. Michigan is the underdog in this game, but can win this game.
                          We all know Michigan will come out prepared. Red's a great coach, and he has some excellent players on his bench. No one in their right minds views this game as a lock for the Sioux.

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                            No doubt, and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying UND is unstoppable and Michigan has no chance. Michigan has a heck of a team, and this should be a great game. I'm just pointing out that UND and CC are different challenges.

BTW, Michigan didn't fare so well against Miami this year.

We all know Michigan will come out prepared. Red's a great coach, and he has some excellent players on his bench. No one in their right minds views this game as a lock for the Sioux.
                            That's not a nice thing to say about the majority of your fanbase.

Comment

Our fan base is no different than any other. You're going to find some who discuss the game very rationally using statistics and hockey logic, and you'll find some who guarantee victory due either to overwhelming superiority or dispite overwhelming odds. Or is Michigan so fortunate as to not have any of the latter variety????

Comment

where are you getting the impression that the majority of Sioux fans think this game is a lock? one poster in this thread said that UM was going to get crushed and who knows whose fan-base he belongs to because all he has is 6 posts... maybe your reading comprehension could use some work.

Comment

Working...
                                X