Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UND Fighting Sioux vs. UM Wolverines

Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
    I certainly hope they all signed the big "Thank You" card for Colorado College, after CC disposed of UND's FF nemesis. Paved a very nice road to the title for them.
    It's obvious that we would have beat them anyways! We beat CC the week before and CC beat them in round 1. Therefore if we would have played them the first round, we would have won either 6-0 or 18-3. Its all elementary my dear.

Comment

Here is my take, and I'll try to be as unbiased as I can

North Dakota: Having watched every Sioux game this year, there are some interesting trends. While the Sioux are definitely led by the Pony Express, they also have excellent depth through their top three lines. Their fourth line has been solid of late, and has contributed some key goals over the past few weeks. Matt Frattin has been on a tear all year, and Jason Gregoire has quietly put up All-American like numbers. The blueline is probably the biggest strength for the Sioux, but probably gets the least amount of press. North Dakota is a front running team. If the Sioux get a lead, they almost always hold on to it. When leading after one period, the Sioux have only lost once this season, and if they are up after two, they haven't lost a game all year. That being said, they don't come back all that often.

Michigan: I have only seen about 4-5 Michigan games this year, but what has jumped out to me is Carl Hagelin's speed. I've seen just about every team in the big 4 conferences play this year, and IMO, Hagelin is the fastest. Hunwick has been strong this season, and has been relatively consistent. One thing that would concern me if I were a Michigan fan is that he has given up 3 goals or more 14 times this season going 4-7-3 in those games. Michigan doesn't have a 20 goal scorer, but they make up for that by having 13 players with 5+ goals.

Advantages:

Speed: While North Dakota has speed throughout their lineup, Michigan is one of the fastest teams that I have seen throughout the year. I already mentioned Hagelin's speed, and he will have an opportunity to be very dangerous in this game. It will be interesting to see how North Dakota tries to negate Michigan's speed. Edge: Michigan

Offense: As discussed, Michigan has plenty of players who can find the back of the net. Unfortunately for the Wolverines, North Dakota has just as many that can, but also have the top end scorers. Hobey candidate Matt Frattin leads the nation with 36 goals, and Jason Gregoire has put up 25. North Dakota has depth throughout their lines, and at any given point, any of North Dakota's four lines can take over a game. It is part of what makes North Dakota so successful. Edge: North Dakota

Defense: As stated above, I haven't seen all that many Michigan games, and in the games I have seen, they have been inconsistent. That makes them a wild card at this time of year because are they the defense that shuts down Colorado College, or are they the defense that gets torched by Western Michigan? There is also the possibility that Burlon is back in their lineup, which would help Michigan. That being said, North Dakota has a suffocating defense. If North Dakota takes TMDLICH (2 goal lead), they have not lost this season. The Sioux are also extremely solid with limiting not only the number of shots, but limiting quality chances. Edge: North Dakota

Special Teams: North Dakota takes more penalties than Michigan, but make up for it with a potent PK. Meanwhile, Michigan has been very solid over their last 9 games on the PP, going 10-44 in that stretch, and scoring a PP goal in 8 of those 9 games. In that same timeframe, they've given up only 5 goals on the PK. In North Dakota's last 11 games they have gone 20-56 on the PP, and have only allowed 5 goals against in 49 chances. Edge: North Dakota

Goaltending: Hunwick has been a very solid goalie throughout the season, and hasn't had too many peaks and valleys. However, he has given up 3+ goals in 14 of 33 games played. Dell has given up 3+ goals in 11 of 39 games played. Their Save Percentage numbers are fairly similar (Hunwick .922, Dell .924). They have both played well down the stretch, but Dell has been slightly better. Edge: North Dakota

Coaching: Dave Hakstol has been to the NCAA Tournament in each of his first 7 seasons, and is making his fifth trip to the Frozen Four. Unfortunately for Hakstol he has won only once at the Frozen Four thus far. Red Berenson hasn't been that much more successful percentage wise, but has won 2 National Titles. Red isn't a stranger to these situations either, making 21 consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances, and will now make his 10th Frozen Four. Edge: Michigan

Intangibles: North Dakota will have basically home-ice advantage. They play at the X at least twice a year for the Final Five, and several players played at the X for the State High School Tournament. There is going to be a tremendous showing by the Sioux faithful (myself included), and it wouldn't surprise me if the building were 50% Sioux fans (if not more). That being said, there is going to be a tremendous amount of pressure on the Sioux. Michigan should be a little more loose, as they are not expected to win, but they will have to play in a hostile environment. If North Dakota scores early and takes a lead...watch out. However, if Michigan can come out to a lead, the Sioux may wilt under pressure, grip the sticks too tight, and the building could get silent. Edge: Push

Overall: In my opinion, the first period will be the key to this game. Both teams are strong coming out of the gates. That being said, if North Dakota is able to take a lead, they have been a team that has been able to build on the lead in the second, and then control the third for the win. If Michigan is able to take a lead, it could silence the Sioux crowd, and put North Dakota in a position that they just haven't been in much this season. I don't see either team being able to come back from a 2+ goal lead, and I think 3 is going to be the magic number. Both teams are excellent when scoring 3 or more goals.

Prediction: I think the first period will be a tight, nervous affair with both teams feeling the other out. I think we'll see a 0-0 or 1-1 type period. In my opinion the game will turn in the 2nd. North Dakota has dominated the middle period all season, and I don't see anything different in this one. With a lead, North Dakota has been outstanding in the third, and I think the Sioux close this one out in period three. That being said, this will be a very close game. Both teams are extremely talented, and are capable of winning it all. North Dakota has been playing great, and if they are able to get a lead they are nearly unbeatable. Final: 4-2 North Dakota

Obviously, I am biased. I have seen North Dakota play over 40 games this year, while only seeing Michigan a handful of times. I am not overconfident, as I feel Michigan could just as easily win this one. This is just how I see the game turning out. I'd also love to hear from more Michigan fans about how they see the different aspects of the game and who has the advantages.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by RinkPig View Post
        *****http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/116/552/RackMultipart.18133.0_display_image.jpg?1258410197******
        Can't tell which finger, looks inconclusive to me.

Comment

Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
          I certainly hope they all signed the big "Thank You" card for Colorado College, after CC disposed of UND's FF nemesis. Paved a very nice road to the title for them.
          I agree. Things fell into place a little too well for them. Plus with their current mindset, anything less then a title would be a disappointment IMHO.

Side note: I sure would have liked to see Miami play a game since I haven't seen them play all season. (yes I caught part of the UNH game but obviously they weren't playing then.)

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
            Can't tell which finger, looks inconclusive to me.
            Ask the Michigan folks which finger it is. They're experts at drawing conclusions from inconclusive video.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Ask the Michigan folks which finger it is. They're experts at drawing conclusions from inconclusive video.
              Aha, boom.
              "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
              Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
              The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
              Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Comment

I'm also willing to bet they can identify it from experience. I'm sure most have seen it personally given to them up close many times.

Comment

Michigan playing the underdog role.

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/analy...es-underdog-r/

Red Berenson, has "a little gamesmanship going on" when he talks about the Wolverines being the dark horse. “He’s really floating it out there how great North Dakota is, they’re the team to beat … a team you can’t imagine losing this game," said Ward, now a hockey analyst for the Big Ten Network, on a recent broadcast. "So I think that on his end he’s hoping there’s some headlines being read and some egos getting inflated.”
                    "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Things are still uncertain about Burlon:

http://www.michigandaily.com/node/60339

Burlon recovering from esophagitis, Berenson unsure if he will play

By: Michael Florek
                      Daily Sports Editor
                      Published April 4th, 2011

Brandon Burlon isn’t the type of guy who needs to watch his weight, but he's on the baby-food diet anyway.

And though he's developed new eating habits, they haven't changed by choice.

After the junior defenseman helped the Michigan hockey team dispose of Bowling Green in the second round of the CCHA Tournament, he received penicillin for what was believed to be strep throat. The throat swelling didn’t stop, forcing Burlon to visit the hospital a couple times the next week. While there, doctors reevaluated his situation.

The final diagnosis was esophagitis, an inflammation of the lining of the esophagus. Its biggest symptom? Difficulty swallowing.

“The last count was nine days that I didn’t take food in,” Burlon said. “It was just a lot of water a little bit at a time, some shakes here and there if I could muster them down. I started off eating apple sauce and puréed soup, mixing it with water. I graduated to yogurt, but I was eating baby food at one point just to get some nutrients in me.”

Burlon missed the CCHA semifinals in Detroit, the consolation game and both of the Wolverines’ wins in the West Regional of the NCAA Tournament in St. Louis. He didn’t make either trip.

And though losing weight wasn’t his goal, the baby-food diet worked — Burlon lost 17 pounds.

Now, three days away from playing No. 1 North Dakota in the Frozen Four, Burlon is back — at least in practice. He skated in practice all last week and is slowly gaining back the weight he lost.

But Michigan coach Red Berenson was not committed at the beginning of last weel on allowing Burlon to play, saying “we’ll see how he comes along.” On Monday, the tune wasn’t any different. After practice, Berenson said he was still unsure whether Burlon would play or not.

“Typically, you'd rather play a junior than a freshman in a situation like this if he's a good player,” Berenson said. “So we have to make sure he's up to snuff before we decide whether he's going to play or not.”

The New Jersey Devils draft pick has five goals and 13 assists this season to go along with a plus 14 rating. He was paired with sophomore Lee Moffie before his injury, but practiced with junior Greg Pateryn last week. Wherever he plays, he provides veteran leadership on a defensive unit that has three freshmen and just one senior.

With the big and fast North Dakota forecheck likely to cause havoc on the young Michigan defensemen in the Wolverine zone all game, Michigan will need Burlon’s ability to get the puck out with both his crisp passes and his feet.

“He's played in these games — not (the) Frozen Four — but he went through this last year and the year before, playing in tournament games,” Berenson said. “He can add offense and give us good experience on defense as well.”

When Burlon comes back from the Frozen Four, nobody knows if he’ll have a championship trophy in his bag. But there's one thing he most definitely won’t have in there — a Gerber’s jar.
                      Originally posted by alfablue
                      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

The stripes didn't think so. That's all that matters- that and getting the call right regardless of your one sided view on "inconclusivity".

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                          The stripes didn't think so. That's all that matters- that and getting the call right regardless of your one sided view on "inconclusivity".
                          One-sided because I didn't agree with the MI people?

AGAIN, I didn't give a crap who won. But apparently if I don't agree with the call, I guess I hate MI. Ok, guys, fine. Have some more Kool-Aid.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

One-sided because I didn't agree with the MI people?

AGAIN, I didn't give a crap who won. But apparently if I don't agree with the call, I guess I hate MI. Ok, guys, fine. Have some more Kool-Aid.
                            *****http://3alleypub.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg?w=450******

Time to put away the baseball bat and leave that poor horse alone. It's starting to smell.
                            Last edited by wooderson; 04-05-2011, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I'm for any team that beats UofM
                              Check out my hockey blog at http://hockeyempire.blogspot.com/ and leave a comment. Good stuff McGruff.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEmpireBlog View Post
                                I'm for any team that beats UofM
                                Your envy is noted....
                                Originally posted by alfablue
                                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                                X