Denver vs. North Dakota Rivalry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver vs. North Dakota Rivalry

I posted this in the Denver thread but I want UND fans' opinions on this.

Ok, I have been thinking about this for a while. Is Colorado College still our biggest rival??? We all know the history and the proximity of the 2 schools. However, recent history shows a much more violent and nasty series of events. Denver vs CC is huge...dont get me wrong...but allow me to give my points as to why Denver vs. UND is now one of the nastiest and hard fought is college hockey.

1. Serious injuries - Robbie Bina and Jessie Martin both with serious spinal/neck injuries resulting from hits.
    2. Gwozdecky being tossed by Todd Anderson twice against UND - including the famous march.
    3. The overall physicality of the match up. These guys aren't trying to hit each other into the boards, they're trying to hit each other THROUGH THE BOARDS.
    4. The HUGE games these 2 teams have played. 2005 final 5. 2005 NCAA Final. 2011 WCHA Final...to name a few.

These 2 teams HATE each other. I'm not sure if there is really any respect either. I'm not sure how the coaches feel either. I know they won't say anything publicly...but I have a feeling that Gwoz and Hakstol are not too fond of each other!!!

The rivalry with CC is a special rivalry however, the 2 teams share a mutual respect. We don't like each other, but we respect each other for the most part.

I know UND's rivalry with Minnesota is huge as well, but given Minnesota's mediocrity lately, have the games been bigger against the Goofers? or the Pios???
    Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
    www.firstandmonday.com

Re: Denver vs. North Dakota Rivalry

Is and hopefully always will be Minnesota. Used to be Wisconsin for the #2 slot, but I would say DU has taken that over.

With the Big 6 Conference coming DU might become #1 someday.
    SIOUX YEAH YEAH!

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
      I posted this in the Denver thread but I want UND fans' opinions on this.

Ok, I have been thinking about this for a while. Is Colorado College still our biggest rival??? We all know the history and the proximity of the 2 schools. However, recent history shows a much more violent and nasty series of events. Denver vs CC is huge...dont get me wrong...but allow me to give my points as to why Denver vs. UND is now one of the nastiest and hard fought is college hockey.

1. Serious injuries - Robbie Bina and Jessie Martin both with serious spinal/neck injuries resulting from hits.
      2. Gwozdecky being tossed by Todd Anderson twice against UND - including the famous march.
      3. The overall physicality of the match up. These guys aren't trying to hit each other into the boards, they're trying to hit each other THROUGH THE BOARDS.
      4. The HUGE games these 2 teams have played. 2005 final 5. 2005 NCAA Final. 2011 WCHA Final...to name a few.

These 2 teams HATE each other. I'm not sure if there is really any respect either. I'm not sure how the coaches feel either. I know they won't say anything publicly...but I have a feeling that Gwoz and Hakstol are not too fond of each other!!!

The rivalry with CC is a special rivalry however, the 2 teams share a mutual respect. We don't like each other, but we respect each other for the most part.

I know UND's rivalry with Minnesota is huge as well, but given Minnesota's mediocrity lately, have the games been bigger against the Goofers? or the Pios???
      I would have to say I agree with that! But I think to the fans of UND the golfing gophers is the biggest rival but to the team and coaches it is really swaying toward DU!! And after the sioux win today it will get bigger!!! SIOUX YA YA!!
      Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jdr1 View Post
        I would have to say I agree with that! But I think to the fans of UND the golfing gophers is the biggest rival but to the team and coaches it is really swaying toward DU!! And after the sioux win today it will get bigger!!! SIOUX YA YA!!
        HAHA!!! I sense you're a bit confident today! I just hope for a good, hard hitting but clean game today. Would prefer to leave out the ugly incidents.

2 of the most storied programs in NCAA history duking it out....hoping for a CLASSIC!!!
        Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
        www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfan_inDenver View Post
          Is and hopefully always will be Minnesota. Used to be Wisconsin for the #2 slot, but I would say DU has taken that over.

With the Big 6 Conference coming DU might become #1 someday.
          You can see the point I am making thought, right? I want CC to be our #1 rival as well. But, the recent history with the Sioux tells a different story....not to mention the Pioneers took the Sioux land....ooops...too soon???

RIP Butch

sigpic
          www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

To answer your question, in my opinion the Sioux-Gopher rivalry is still the strongest. DU and UND have had some wild games and there is definitely a rivalry there too, but I don't think it comes close to the hatred of the Gophers by Sioux fans. Plus, it's not just the team that we Sioux fans dislike..it's the Gopher fans that we simply can't stand. I'm sure they feel the same about us.
            Wet-Dreams of College Hockey on the West Coast!

Comment

Accurate assessments. For the Sioux fan, MN is still public enemy No. 1, however for the coaches and players DU is probably the bigger rival now given the recent history between the schools. I think is is fair to say Gwoz is more disliked than Lucia by all but it is probably still MN. Should be a great game tonight if the zebras let them play and do not chop up the flow too much. That CC/Mich game was painful to watch with numerous, inconsistent calls. Hope that does not happen tonight. Go Sioux.
              Start a man a fire, keep him warm for a day. Start a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

HAHA!!! I sense you're a bit confident today! I just hope for a good, hard hitting but clean game today. Would prefer to leave out the ugly incidents.

2 of the most storied programs in NCAA history duking it out....hoping for a CLASSIC!!!
                Yes I am!!! But it will for sure be a classic game today!!! SIOUX Ya Ya!!!
                And yes the ugly stuff can stay away today!!
                Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

I have a feeling this may change once UND and UMN are in different conferences. I hope not but I would expect UND/DU and UMN/WI to become the regular season rivals. UND and DU are very similar teams and both are very successful. UND has the edge in the whiniest coach though.

Good luck to DU today!
                  Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
                  Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

Comment

An example of the rivalry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilwpXOQIjHc
                    Start a man a fire, keep him warm for a day. Start a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

If the Sioux hate DU, that's just another reason to like the Sioux.
                      Besides, isn't Sioux-Pioneers a natural rivalry that goes back hundreds of years?
                      2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
                      2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
                      Air Force Falcons
                      2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
                      2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
                      2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
                      2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
                      2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Originally posted by Landshark View Post
                        I remember talking to some of the DU players after that when Gwoz was on the dasher....half of them were scared of him falling...the other half thought it was kinda funny...but loved that he did all of that to stand up for them.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                        www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by WestCoastSioux View Post
                          To answer your question, in my opinion the Sioux-Gopher rivalry is still the strongest. DU and UND have had some wild games and there is definitely a rivalry there too, but I don't think it comes close to the hatred of the Gophers by Sioux fans. Plus, it's not just the team that we Sioux fans dislike..it's the Gopher fans that we simply can't stand. I'm sure they feel the same about us.
                          I agree with most of this. I really like the DU rivalry because they are a great team consistently and the games are always exciting while UM has been lackluster in the last few years. Pio fans don't travel as to the REA as well as UM, for good reason(distance). I think Hak and Gwoz respect each other's abilities and that's about it. I would rather see DU advance to the FF by beating us than UM and I think that's the difference in the rivalries.
                          "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                          Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                          The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                          Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Agree with what most everyone is saying. There is a difference between the fans and the players. The fans still get most fired up when MN comes up to Grand Forks, but I would say the bad blood between the actual teams has fallen to almost zero. DU on the other hand... Different story.

It's funny to me that Dubbie left out, in my mind, the key game that set up the whole sequence. DU 1-0, March 27, 2004. UND was 3-0-1 that year against DU outscoring them 21-6. I was at that game and not to dwell on it, but that game was a flat out miracle for DU. The DU fans by us at that game genuinely could not believe they won. From the recap - Gwozdecky "It was kind of a harmless play.", Fulgham "Bull’s shot actually hit my stick and redirected it just enough for it to go in." Fulgham was about 15 feet away from the goal when shot hit his stick (he wasn't trying to redirect it) and went precisely right over Jordan Parise's shoulder. UND absolutely bombarded Berkhoel in that 3rd period, but a multitude of grade A deflections and redirects refused to go in. O.K, whatever, that happens in hockey. Except...

DU then doesn't just pull one upset, they cruise on and win the whole thing. Again, against Maine I would say that DU was very fortunate. Then the next year, the tables are turned and DU actually has the best team. In the NC game UND fans think maybe turnabout is fair play and we'll steal this one. The Sioux play great, control the first period, outshoot Denver 46-28, and lose what was really a razor tight game 4-1, when the better team put the hammer down in the second half of the 3rd period. Oh yea, then there was that other thing that year at the WCHA tourney where Bina got his neck broken on worst hit I've ever seen at a college hockey game. So anyway...

From a UND coach/player perspective (based on a couple conversations), DU George got lucky as hell, then they won it again the only year they really had a superior team. In the 90s and early 2000s how many times did UND/Michigan/BC have a superior team and NOT win it all. Oh, about a cumulative 10 times. George has the best team exactly once and they win it all, and that's right after the 2004 gift from God. But George doesn't think he got lucky, George thinks he's a coaching genius and they deserved both of those titles (again, this is from a UND player/coach perspective). Add in the Bina thing, and you have a situation where the UND crew CAN'T STAND Gwozdecky. Now, throw in George getting tossed from a couple (!) games in GF, 3-4 more years of extremely physical games that have almost crossed the line a couple times, and now the Jesse Martin injury/aftermath and you have a completely mutual stew of hatred between these two teams. Fans of both teams over these years might agree that today's game will have intensity greater than a NC game. I mean, can you really hate Maine, or Miami, or Michigan, or BC. No. There's not enough of this kind of history with any team outside the WCHA.

Now, there's no particular reason for the FANS of UND and DU to hate each other. I think it's a little sad that it's shaded that way recently. No matter what happens today I hope that stuff dials down a little. We're in the same boat in the battle against the big school, Big Ten, "let's take all the TV money" alliance.

Comment

Originally posted by tbodin23 View Post
                              Agree with what most everyone is saying. There is a difference between the fans and the players. The fans still get most fired up when MN comes up to Grand Forks, but I would say the bad blood between the actual teams has fallen to almost zero. DU on the other hand... Different story.

It's funny to me that Dubbie left out, in my mind, the key game that set up the whole sequence. DU 1-0, March 27, 2004. UND was 3-0-1 that year against DU outscoring them 21-6. I was at that game and not to dwell on it, but that game was a flat out miracle for DU. The DU fans by us at that game genuinely could not believe they won. From the recap - Gwozdecky "It was kind of a harmless play.", Fulgham "Bull’s shot actually hit my stick and redirected it just enough for it to go in." Fulgham was about 15 feet away from the goal when shot hit his stick (he wasn't trying to redirect it) and went precisely right over Jordan Parise's shoulder. UND absolutely bombarded Berkhoel in that 3rd period, but a multitude of grade A deflections and redirects refused to go in. O.K, whatever, that happens in hockey. Except...

DU then doesn't just pull one upset, they cruise on and win the whole thing. Again, against Maine I would say that DU was very fortunate. Then the next year, the tables are turned and DU actually has the best team. In the NC game UND fans think maybe turnabout is fair play and we'll steal this one. The Sioux play great, control the first period, outshoot Denver 46-28, and lose what was really a razor tight game 4-1, when the better team put the hammer down in the second half of the 3rd period. Oh yea, then there was that other thing that year at the WCHA tourney where Bina got his neck broken on worst hit I've ever seen at a college hockey game. So anyway...

From a UND coach/player perspective (based on a couple conversations), DU George got lucky as hell, then they won it again the only year they really had a superior team. In the 90s and early 2000s how many times did UND/Michigan/BC have a superior team and NOT win it all. Oh, about a cumulative 10 times. George has the best team exactly once and they win it all, and that's right after the 2004 gift from God. But George doesn't think he got lucky, George thinks he's a coaching genius and they deserved both of those titles (again, this is from a UND player/coach perspective). Add in the Bina thing, and you have a situation where the UND crew CAN'T STAND Gwozdecky. Now, throw in George getting tossed from a couple (!) games in GF, 3-4 more years of extremely physical games that have almost crossed the line a couple times, and now the Jesse Martin injury/aftermath and you have a completely mutual stew of hatred between these two teams. Fans of both teams over these years might agree that today's game will have intensity greater than a NC game. I mean, can you really hate Maine, or Miami, or Michigan, or BC. No. There's not enough of this kind of history with any team outside the WCHA.

Now, there's no particular reason for the FANS of UND and DU to hate each other. I think it's a little sad that it's shaded that way recently. No matter what happens today I hope that stuff dials down a little. We're in the same boat in the battle against the big school, Big Ten, "let's take all the TV money" alliance.

That's a GREAT POST. I can't believe I left out that regional. I remember how good that 2004 team was for UND. Parise, Toews...to name a couple. I remember the defensemen on that team being MASSIVE.

That 2004 Denver team just refused to give up. Adam Berkhoel probably put together the greatest 2 months of goaltending I have ever seen in 20 years of being a college hockey fan. It was stunning how he stole those games and how Denver just did not quit.

I see same mindset with this team. It doesn't matter what the score is, this Denver team has a refuse to lose attitude.

Today's game is going to be a very interesting chess match between Gwoz and Hak. I'm excited as a Denver fan and as a Hockey fan!
                              Last edited by dubbie31; 03-27-2011, 01:42 PM.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                              www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Working...
                              X