PDA

View Full Version : thank you to ESPN3.com for covering ALL the games

Pages : 1 [2]

AKJD
03-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Sounds great. Now if they'd just put an option for some sort of pay-per-view for those of us not on their ISP list, we'd be golden. Between no ESPN3.com and no local syndication, I'll be lucky if I catch a second of the tournament this year. Maybe I can find a bar that has the final on, or something.

gopheritall
03-27-2011, 02:04 PM
He only wants them to give up the puck as soon as the arm goes up when they are going to go on a 2-player advantage, so they have a longer time on that 2-player advantage. Which makes sense.

They pull their goalie on the delay therefore already have a 2 man advantage, 6 on 4. Granted, if the penalty is called there would be fewer defenders on the ice. There is an argument for trying to score AND get the penalty called too. I understand when a team wants to get to 5 on 3 right away but it isn't the no brainer that it used to be.

UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
03-27-2011, 02:06 PM
They pull their goalie on the delay therefore already have a 2 man advantage, 6 on 4. Granted, if the penalty is called there would be fewer defenders on the ice. There is an argument for trying to score AND get the penalty called too. I understand when a team wants to get to 5 on 3 right away but it isn't the no brainer that it used to be.

I've always felt that opportunities for scoring are easier to attain 5x3 than 6x4, for the simple fact the powerplay has much more room to move as well as get passes through the diamond. I'd also guess without looking at data, that there are far more goals scored 5x3 than 6x4 or possibly even 6x5.

Runninwiththedogs
03-27-2011, 04:30 PM

I agree with UMDBHIK's comments. I DO understand the goalie is pulled, but then you've got a guy jumping into the play rather than starting set, so it's more disjointed. There's just more space to operate. Also, it allows a team to change lines if their #1 PP unit is out there and to get a faceoff and get set up. There is no reason to give it away right away when the team is 6x6 and it's a delayed penalty, because you get the two minutes no matter what.

Timmah!
03-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Definitely a big thanks to ESPN3 for showing all of the games. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go buy an EVO 4G, join the Army, and book a Southwest flight to Las Vegas.

billmich88888
03-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Sounds great. Now if they'd just put an option for some sort of pay-per-view for those of us not on their ISP list, we'd be golden. Between no ESPN3.com and no local syndication, I'll be lucky if I catch a second of the tournament this year. Maybe I can find a bar that has the final on, or something.

if you found a sports bar or a friend with directv, you would have been able to watch all 12 games this weekend

The Rube
03-27-2011, 08:51 PM
if you found a sports bar or a friend with directv, you would have been able to watch all 12 games this weekend

And you could have played the Google Game, by searching for "free live streaming (insert teams)" and clicking on links. That's how many of us found justintv and ustream in years past to watch the games.

billmich88888
03-28-2011, 04:55 PM
And you could have played the Google Game, by searching for "free live streaming (insert teams)" and clicking on links. That's how many of us found justintv and ustream in years past to watch the games.

excellant point, those sites have been godsends to find obscure broadcasts like college hockey or Mountain west football

RPIcrank
03-30-2011, 03:15 AM
No Bob Norton has been nice. Now if they could find a way to get rid of Clay Matvick and Barry Melrose, that would be yet another improvement. Another would be finding a way to bring Tom Mees back to life. Man, I miss that guy.

I agree 100%. Bob Norton was the absolute worst. He made me want to turn off games I wanted to see. His incessant listing of all the prep schools for every player every time he touched the puck was obnoxious.

And, Tom Mees was incredibly smooth and a pleasure to listen to. He always got the pace and drama just right. I too miss his game calling. I still have the RPI - UMD game he called in 1985. Boy, that was an exciting game. That UMD team gave our juggernaut RPI team all it could handle.

billmich88888
03-30-2011, 06:23 AM
RPICrank, do you have a copy of the 1985 Championship game? I( am always looking to add to my collection and I don't believe i have that one (anything before 1990 has been hard to find) I have most, but not all, since about 1992 or so.

please let me know

Timmah!
03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
RPICrank, do you have a copy of the 1985 Championship game? I( am always looking to add to my collection and I don't believe i have that one (anything before 1990 has been hard to find) I have most, but not all, since about 1992 or so.

please let me know

NCAA On Demand released the '85 championship game a few years ago. It's available on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/1985-Division-Hockey-National-Championship/dp/B0014H2SSU

billmich88888
03-30-2011, 11:52 AM
id prefer the original broadcast. these ncaa on demand gamed are just too edited for my liking

UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
03-30-2011, 05:40 PM
I agree 100%. Bob Norton was the absolute worst. He made me want to turn off games I wanted to see. His incessant listing of all the prep schools for every player every time he touched the puck was obnoxious.

And, Tom Mees was incredibly smooth and a pleasure to listen to. He always got the pace and drama just right. I too miss his game calling. I still have the RPI - UMD game he called in 1985. Boy, that was an exciting game. That UMD team gave our juggernaut RPI team all it could handle.

I still loathe Darren Puppa. I remember staying up to watch that game. What a crappy ending.

brainof23
03-30-2011, 09:07 PM
More college hockey coverage, I sit down for a long in-depth and candid interview with Miami (OH) star Carter Camper. See the link below.

The Rube
03-30-2011, 10:32 PM
excellant point, those sites have been godsends to find obscure broadcasts like college hockey or Mountain west football

Or for people who don't want to pay $50 (or whatever it is) to see a PPV event...like, say, a Brock Lesnar fight.

AKJD
03-30-2011, 10:39 PM
I checked several times to see if I could find any free streaming, and if there was anything out there, I couldn't find it. I know I've done that in the past, but all I could find was a whole bunch of soccer and rugby games, and a couple of NHL games. Even added the justintv app to my iPhone so I could check off and on to see if anything got added. And I found some other highly-recommended site, which had a large official government-looking graphic about how it was shut down, or something.

I might suck it up and try a friend's place. Unfortunately, he doesn't like hockey, so I wasn't gonna try to take over his apartment for the whole weekend. Maybe the NC game.

The Rube
03-30-2011, 10:44 PM
I checked several times to see if I could find any free streaming, and if there was anything out there, I couldn't find it. I know I've done that in the past, but all I could find was a whole bunch of soccer and rugby games, and a couple of NHL games. Even added the justintv app to my iPhone so I could check off and on to see if anything got added. And I found some other highly-recommended site, which had a large official government-looking graphic about how it was shut down, or something.

I might suck it up and try a friend's place. Unfortunately, he doesn't like hockey, so I wasn't gonna try to take over his apartment for the whole weekend. Maybe the NC game.

The last time I played the Google Game, for a Lesnar fight, I just skipped the first page. Ended up watching what I think was British ESPN that was on a site....on page 3.

More of the well-known sites are starting to get limited on things, due to the gray area about legality.

Edit: And one of (or THE) moderator for justintv freaked out a couple years ago when us college hockey fans flocked to the site (it went from about 100 to over 2000 in a matter of minutes, due to word of mouth) because he thought he had a bot attack. When he found that we were all real fans, his quote was, "Man, you *ers are crazy!" :D

Driftryder
03-31-2011, 03:50 PM
Edit: And one of (or THE) moderator for justintv freaked out a couple years ago when us college hockey fans flocked to the site (it went from about 100 to over 2000 in a matter of minutes, due to word of mouth) because he thought he had a bot attack. When he found that we were all real fans, his quote was, "Man, you *ers are crazy!" :D

I remember that, it was quite funny and the banter back and forth between fans was classic.

I still have my login for that site but didn't have to use it this year.