X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2011: There Will be a Title Here Next Season

Originally posted by babo View Post
    Well Doc...speculation has become a dirty word lately...
    Usually everything said on our threads is good natured. We do have an occassional troll who tries to stir things up but for the most part we have the best and most considerate people on here. I honestly think we are the team to beat next year. We have lost some wonderful talent in Polacek and Helfrich-but we have arguably our best incoming freshman class of forwards in 25 years. We have a solid defense that can only be made better with what is coming in (and some much needed size). Our boys got a small taste of some success this year (our first NCAA appearance in 16 years) and we have a very solid coach and assistants. I just don't see any reason to be pessimistic at all. Sure yale is still a great team-but we have beaten them 3 out of the last 4. From where I sit-watch out for us next year.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Usually everything said on our threads is good natured. We do have an occassional troll who tries to stir things up but for the most part we have the best and most considerate people on here. I honestly think we are the team to beat next year. We have lost some wonderful talent in Polacek and Helfrich-but we have arguably our best incoming freshman class of forwards in 25 years. We have a solid defense that can only be made better with what is coming in (and some much needed size). Our boys got a small taste of some success this year (our first NCAA appearance in 16 years) and we have a very solid coach and assistants. I just don't see any reason to be pessimistic at all. Sure yale is still a great team-but we have beaten them 3 out of the last 4. From where I sit-watch out for us next year.
      While I agree with everything you said, I am hopeing that the experts don't see it that way. I want to be picked 3rd or 4th, because for the most part, those guys are not too good.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        While I agree with everything you said, I am hopeing that the experts don't see it that way. I want to be picked 3rd or 4th, because for the most part, those guys are not too good.
        EHF-we are not going to be under the radar next year. We weren't this past year. We now have talent and everyone knows it. Last year it was more concentrated on one or two lines but if the freshmen coming in can live up to their potential we are going to be much deeper. I have some questions about some aspects of our game-but none of them are serious and i suspect most will be dealt with quickly. I had worried what sort of shape we would be in goal without York if he left-but then I watched Merriam carefully at the Princeton game down here in NJ and realized we were in very good hands. It also helped a lot for Jenny and I to speak with coach SA before the Pinceton game and get a feel for what he was like. I am sold. This program is on it's way and we will again be in the running for the Beast of the East.

Comment

EHF-we are not going to be under the radar next year. We weren't this past year. We now have talent and everyone knows it. Last year it was more concentrated on one or two lines but if the freshmen coming in can live up to their potential we are going to be much deeper. I have some questions about some aspects of our game-but none of them are serious and i suspect most will be dealt with quickly. I had worried what sort of shape we would be in goal without York if he left-but then I watched Merriam carefully at the Princeton game down here in NJ and realized we were in very good hands. It also helped a lot for Jenny and I to speak with coach SA before the Pinceton game and get a feel for what he was like. I am sold. This program is on it's way and we will again be in the running for the Beast of the East.
          Doc, I don't expect to be under the radar, but I don't want to be rated #1. Yale can have that.
          There won't be any games next season when teams will be looking past us. We will have to be ready every game for the best the opposition can bring.
          Merriam will be fine, and I think that he will have a better defensive team in front of him.
          And the offense won't be too shabby either.
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            Doc, I don't expect to be under the radar, but I don't want to be rated #1. Yale can have that.
            There won't be any games next season when teams will be looking past us. We will have to be ready every game for the best the opposition can bring.
            Merriam will be fine, and I think that he will have a better defensive team in front of him.
            And the offense won't be too shabby either.
            We are absolutely in step here. I think our defense, if it can stay healthy, will be our strongest in recent memory.

Comment

Need a little help here-I know we have had a couple players who made the grade as All Americans for 2 years (Polacek the latest). Has anyone any information about how many NCAA Division I players have ever been Named All American for more than 2 years? I certinly cannot think of any who did it for all 4 years but was wondering if there were any 3 time winners?

edit-found a few 3 timers back in the old days of the 50's and 60's and of course Dryden in the 60's. But no 4 timers as yet. All of the early ones of course were when they only had 1st team All American teams named. Now with the addition of 2nd teams it might have happened but I can't find anyone yet.
              Last edited by DrDemento; 04-28-2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Ken Dryden was a First Team All-American 1967,68,69. He's the only 3-time Cornell player. Doug Murray and Joe Nieuwendyk were both 2-time first teamers.
                Cornell '01

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                  Also reported by USCHO. Still shocked that Roll got tossed and that Leaman left Union. It will be interesting to see how the standings shake out next season.
                  I wasn't surprised by Leaman. His star would never rise higher than it had this year at Union..given the lack of schollies, lousy rink, etc...He had to strike while the iron was hot.

Roll's firing didn't surprise me given his overall W-L and the fact that they were swept at home in the 1st round. To me, what was odd was the timing -- awful. Why wait more than a month after the season ends? Had they done it in March, they could've interviewed guys at the FF and be well on their way to hiring a coach.
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Today is 29 April 2011. There are 155 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Need a little help here-I know we have had a couple players who made the grade as All Americans for 2 years (Polacek the latest). Has anyone any information about how many NCAA Division I players have ever been Named All American for more than 2 years? I certinly cannot think of any who did it for all 4 years but was wondering if there were any 3 time winners?

edit-found a few 3 timers back in the old days of the 50's and 60's and of course Dryden in the 60's. But no 4 timers as yet. All of the early ones of course were when they only had 1st team All American teams named. Now with the addition of 2nd teams it might have happened but I can't find anyone yet.
                      Joe Cavanagh for Harvard - Probably would have been a 4-time AA, except back then, freshman were not permitted to play on the Varsity.

Comment

Usually everything said on our threads is good natured... but for the most part we have the best and most considerate people on here.
                        Doc, please tell me you're not counting me as one of the "considerate" ones on the board. I would probabaly also exclude troyboy.
                        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          I wasn't surprised by Leaman. His star would never rise higher than it had this year at Union..given the lack of schollies, lousy rink, etc...He had to strike while the iron was hot.

Roll's firing didn't surprise me given his overall W-L and the fact that they were swept at home in the 1st round. To me, what was odd was the timing -- awful. Why wait more than a month after the season ends? Had they done it in March, they could've interviewed guys at the FF and be well on their way to hiring a coach.
                          Like most times, I am in total agreement with WS. I think the off ice problems with some of Roll's players added to his demise.
                          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by pfibiger View Post
                            Ken Dryden was a First Team All-American 1967,68,69. He's the only 3-time Cornell player.
                            Dryden was a sieve

Comment

To DrD's point, I think we will be under the radar. The core guys that have to perform and score will be underclassmen so I think that observers will see the subtraction of York and Chase and surmise we are worse off. Neal, Ralph's buddy JL, etc will have to contribute right away. I think they will.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                                To DrD's point, I think we will be under the radar. The core guys that have to perform and score will be underclassmen so I think that observers will see the subtraction of York and Chase and surmise we are worse off. Neal, Ralph's buddy JL, etc will have to contribute right away. I think they will.
                                IF JL shows up.

Comment

Working...
                                X