Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Michigan OT Goal

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
    I didn't hear much bias out of either announcer. It refutes your point "everyone else who's not a UNO or MI fan thinks it's inconclusive!" I'm a fan of neither and I'm convinced from what I saw the puck was in.
    The color guy played for Michigan, but in his defense he waffeled back and forth, leaning towards thinking it would be a no goal.

Did the puck go in? Yes. Is there a view where you can clearly see the puck crossing the line? Not really.

I actually give props to the refs for making the right call, as opposed to sticking to the letter of the rule book. The spirit of the rule is to get the call right and they did.

Comment

BigRed- I do agree with the commentary. For the most part, it was fairly unbiased through the game. However, if I were a former player for the team in question...I would probably waffle my way back to whatever opinion suited my team as well. In other words, I'm not surprised that he would state it was a goal in the end....
      If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
        I'm not a conspiracy theorist, and after looking at the far distant replay from the other end of the ice, it does APPEAR as though the puck had crossed the line. Problem with that is the angle can't be determined because the shot was from 100 feet away.

Here is the only issue I have with the whole situation. The call on the ice is no goal. Two things: 1) if it takes 10 minutes to find the puck, aren't we trying to find a way to CALL it a goal, instead of confirming the call on the ice?, 2) if you have to call three other people in to see the replays, isn't that THE VERY definition of "inconclusive?" If one guy can't determine that it is a goal, it automatically is inconclusive.

I will be at peace when someone can refute the above....with a justifiable explanation of how those two things are NOT true....
        Best post on the subject. I could care less who won, I wanted to see it end fairly. Taking 10 minutes when there was no conclusive evidence it went in (as likely as it might have been that it did) and THEN calling it a goal was garbage. In the NHL, that wouldn't have been a goal. If you're going to go to the replay in the first place, either there's evidence to support that it went in or there isn't. The game should not have ended on that call.
        Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 03-26-2011, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          The announcers and analyzers pretty much said that it was "probably" in, "common sense says it's in," but also said there was NO conclusive evidence that it was in, and the refs were wrong to overturn the on-ice call.
          I agree with you. Not that my opinion means anything. If the officials saw what I saw when they reviewed the play, that is NOT conclusive evidence. On ice call should not have been overturned.

Comment

Pretty clearly a goal based on logic/common sense.

It's just that we've all seen dozens, if not hundreds of goals waived off despite common sense because of no "proof", so having a OT goal decided mainly on common sense and a camera angle from the other end of the ice is surprising.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

And the other funny thing is, it appears as though folks that are neither Wolverine or Maverick fans tend to side with the "inconclusive" argument. Hmm.....
              I could careless about UNO or Michigan. I don't see how they could overturn anything simply because it probably went in.
              Most victories- Minnesota (1,526)

Most Tourney Victories- Minnesota (49)

30 tourney appearances

19 frozen fours

16 straight post season victories ended on 3-28-04 by tUMD. (This sig was edited for BC06!)

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                Really was a great series of plays. Reminded me of Paul Martin's "save" in '03.
                I was thinking the same thing. Then I started pouting remembering when we had defensemen who could play like Martin.
                Most victories- Minnesota (1,526)

Most Tourney Victories- Minnesota (49)

30 tourney appearances

19 frozen fours

16 straight post season victories ended on 3-28-04 by tUMD. (This sig was edited for BC06!)

Comment

And the other funny thing is, it appears as though folks that are neither Wolverine or Maverick fans tend to side with the "inconclusive" argument. Hmm.....
                  And the not so funny thing is, it appears as though folks that are neither Wolverine or Maverick fans but wear black and white striped shirts tend to side with the "good goal" argument. Hmm...
                  No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Slurpees - I hope you are not a reporter or have any hopes of going into journalism. Misquoting is a major sin in that profession. Since this is a message board, I suppose I'll let it slide. What I stated, and go ahead and go to the second page of this thread, was that those folks that aren't Mav or Wolverine fans "tend" to fall on the side of inconclusive. You quote me as saying "everyone" agrees with my assessment. Not true. Us in the media business call that misquoting.
                    I'm going to let it slide that you're upset from a brutal loss, but for christ's sake, this is a message board, get off your "us in the media business" throne. Listen to your own argument, there are no elements of journalism here! I paraphrased using quotation marks for the purposes of underscoring what you said, not for journalistic integrity. This isn't the place for splitting hairs and mincing words. This is a message board!

*****http://i200.***********.com/albums/aa37/fitch256/unomichigan2.jpg******

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    The announcers and analyzers pretty much said that it was "probably" in, "common sense says it's in," but also said there was NO conclusive evidence that it was in, and the refs were wrong to overturn the on-ice call.
                    Nope. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRQLZ...layer_embedded

0:11:
                    Color: And that's in the net.
                    PxP: Yeah, it is.
                    Color: That puck is in the net.

Hey look, I quoted correctly!
                    time to write new history

Comment

It stings a bit less knowing that many unbiased opinions support the idea that it shouldn't have ended like that.

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post

Nope. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRQLZ...layer_embedded

0:11:
                        Color: And that's in the net.
                        PxP: Yeah, it is.
                        Color: That puck is in the net.

Hey look, I quoted correctly!
                        I should have clarified that I was referring to the announcers/analyzers during the intermissions of the later games/etc. That was an error on my part.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Paraphrased? How does changing the entire meaning of a sentence constitute paraphrasing? Do you agree that it is totally different to say: "people TEND to side with the idea that the goal is inconclusive" vs. "EVERYONE that isn't a Mav/Wolverine fan agrees with my argument?"

You see the difference right?

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine318 View Post
                            Dude, that is the puck lying flat on the ice and clearly there is white between the line and the puck. Case closed. It is basic Euclid geometry. Some people here need to retake high school geometry.
                            Michigan fans now resorting to Euclid gemoetry to justify a brutal call.

Typical.

Comment

And I say "us in the media business" because I actually am in the media business, thus the word "us." Not message board business. Actual media business, the "us" referred to my colleagues and I. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                                someone needs to photoshop a puck into that "photo evidence". not seeing it.
                                UM fans will have an easier time finding photgraphic evidence of Bigfoot than evidence that call was correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X