Mercyhurst Lakers 2011/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercyhurst Lakers 2011/2012

What is everyone's expectations for this team next season. Does anyone know of the recruits coming in and what they can contribute to this team. How do you think this team will do without the top scorers in school history? Who will step up and lead this team.

Re: Mercyhurst Lakers 2011/2012

Bram. Baby Bram. Bestland. Top 3. great offensively.. my bet that coach sisti will throw baby bram right in there with her older sister to replace the Bram Bendus Bestland line.. still 3B's. Bram, Bestland, Baby Bram,, 4B's

Comment

I think Shelby Bram if she learned anything from her sister she will be on the top two lines. Now Steadman will be another top player for this team. She's going to be good next season. Has anyone heard anything else about Breann Frykas transferring here from Wisconsin. That would be another addition to this team, and another player from Manitoba

Comment

Originally posted by hurstfan87 View Post
        I think Shelby Bram if she learned anything from her sister she will be on the top two lines. Now Steadman will be another top player for this team. She's going to be good next season. Has anyone heard anything else about Breann Frykas transferring here from Wisconsin. That would be another addition to this team, and another player from Manitoba
        Hurst will in hot pursuit a some transfers.

Comment

Well they already have 8 player's coming in, and Sisti said maybe 1 or 2 more. I just hope Sisti lets the other goalie's play other than Pattenden. I would like to see Ciampa get more games during the season. Also I would like to see if he puts in the new 3rd goalie Amanda Makela. She looks like she's going to be good. I hope she doesn't sit the whole season. Does anybody know anything else about the other player's coming here.

Comment

What is everyone's expectations for this team next season. Does anyone know of the recruits coming in and what they can contribute to this team. How do you think this team will do without the top scorers in school history? Who will step up and lead this team.
            Should be an interesting rebuilding year for Mercyhurst next year.

A look at the graduations of all the top schools shows that Mercyhurst loses infinitely more than any other team in the NCAA.
            Replacing those 91 goals (!) and 242 points (!!) would seem pretty much impossible, even with a few top tier recruits. No wonder Mercyhurst would be pursuing any available transfers.

Given what the other Top 10 ranked schools this year are retaining, as well as a few of the other bubble teams, I would say it will be a significant challenge for Mercyhurst to stay in the Top 8 next season to get a return berth without some unexpected magic. The significant gap between Mercyhurst and Syracuse within the CHA should also be closed quite a bit, which is ultimately a great thing for the CHA and even for Mercyhurst.

I would expect the top 6 teams next season (in no particular order) will be Wisconsin, Cornell, BU, Minnesota, UMD and North Dakota. The next tier down will likely see tOSU, Dartmouth, Quinnipiac, Providence, BC, and Mercyhurst fighting it out from 7-12th for those last 2 ranking placements Mercyhurst would need to have a chance for another berth in 11-12.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
              Replacing those 91 goals (!) and 242 points (!!) would seem pretty much impossible ...
              Yes, and they may be better off if they don't try. Outscoring teams piles up some impressive statistics, but perhaps the Lakers will return to being the type of team that first made them a contender on the national scene. They weren't the most talented, but they had a blue-collar work ethic and played a solid team game.

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
              Given what the other Top 10 ranked schools this year are retaining, as well as a few of the other bubble teams, I would say it will be a significant challenge for Mercyhurst to stay in the Top 8 next season to get a return berth without some unexpected magic.
              I would expect the top 6 teams next season (in no particular order) will be Wisconsin, Cornell, BU, Minnesota, UMD and North Dakota.
              If Mercyhurst plays a schedule similar to what they did this year, I don't see it as being as difficult as you do for them to remain in the top 8. The key is continuing to dominate the CHA. If they only pick up a loss or two out of 14 games versus CHA opponents, they won't take as big a hit in the RPI as the 4th-best WCHA team that is playing the top 3 WCHA teams 12-14 times. Last year, Mercyhurst only played 3 games against TUC, went 1-2, and still just missed hosting a quarter.

MC will still be the most talented team in the CHA and will continue to enjoy an edge over most of their non-conference opponents. If they play a little better D, they'll be in the thick of things once more.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I know this team is in a transition year but there's no way they will be out of the top 8. They still have some good offensive players on this team. Hopefully the incoming players will contribute. My guess is Shelby Bram will help this team. If she plays anything like her sister she's going to be good. The goalie that is coming in next season looks to be a good one. I just hope Sisti gives the goalies a chance. Pattenden from what I've seen since she came here has gotten worse. She can't make the big saves when most needed. She shouldn't be giving up goals to any teams in the CHA. All I'm saying is I'm really excited for next season, and the next 6 months is going to be a very long time.

Comment

I know this team is in a transition year but there's no way they will be out of the top 8. They still have some good offensive players on this team. Hopefully the incoming players will contribute. My guess is Shelby Bram will help this team. If she plays anything like her sister she's going to be good. The goalie that is coming in next season looks to be a good one. I just hope Sisti gives the goalies a chance. Pattenden from what I've seen since she came here has gotten worse. She can't make the big saves when most needed. She shouldn't be giving up goals to any teams in the CHA. All I'm saying is I'm really excited for next season, and the next 6 months is going to be a very long time.
                  Shelby Bram is a great little player. Unlike her big sister though, Baby Bram is only 5' 1", but plays like she is much bigger. Grenier, who is bigger at about 5' 7" may actually score more points, but both will get minutes as freshmen I'm sure. I agree, not impressed with Pattenden at all. I think she is just playing out her final two years and not working on her game. Does Mercyhurst have a goalie coach? She needs to get her game back, if not, the Makela kid will take over the starting job by Christmas. I also agree that Mercyhurst will remain in the top 8.

Comment

Originally posted by rugrats View Post
                    Shelby Bram is a great little player. Unlike her big sister though, Baby Bram is only 5' 1", but plays like she is much bigger. Grenier, who is bigger at about 5' 7" may actually score more points, but both will get minutes as freshmen I'm sure. I agree, not impressed with Pattenden at all. I think she is just playing out her final two years and not working on her game. Does Mercyhurst have a goalie coach? She needs to get her game back, if not, the Makela kid will take over the starting job by Christmas. I also agree that Mercyhurst will remain in the top 8.
                    Makela will definitely challenge for the #1 slot. She is most definitely the top goalie coming out of Ontario, and Ontario PWHL goalies tend to do very well in D1 anyway.

Browne is a gritty player with hands who will definitely help offensively too if paired with the right linemates. Luczak on D will certainly help replace what they are losing in Lacroix.

Sorry but I just don't have the same optimism that Mercyhurst will still be a lock for top 8. Time will tell. I do get the argument that more WCHA teams may have trouble getting recognition given their competition. But in my mind, on paper anyway, there are still several other eastern teams that should be at least as good if not better than Mercyhurst next year.

Comment

The thing with Pattenden is she actually has gotten worse since she first came here. Hurst doesn't really have a goalie coach. They have 2 former hurst men's players. From the practices that I have been to the goalies just rotate in and out during scrimmages. How good is Makela. Is she the best goalie coming out of this year's recruit class or at least at the top. Does anyone know anything about the defensemen coming in. The other 2 players that are coming here should be good. The one player is coming from Shattuck, and the other one is on the same team as Browne and she's 5-10. I'm going into next season with no expectations. They should win the CHA just not sure about non conference teams. The thing about Bram's sis being only 5-1. Who was the last player that was 5-1 and look what she did.

Comment

The thing with Pattenden is she actually has gotten worse since she first came here. Hurst doesn't really have a goalie coach. They have 2 former hurst men's players. From the practices that I have been to the goalies just rotate in and out during scrimmages. How good is Makela. Is she the best goalie coming out of this year's recruit class or at least at the top.

Makela played with Team Ontario U18 along with a 1994 goalie Quade. She also the Team Canada U18 Goalie. Here is the list 1993 goalies graduating this year that attended the Team Canada U18 Goalie Camp. I think Piper is RPI, not sure of the other two.

TEMA CANADA GOALIE CAMP - UNDER-18 GOALTENDERS
                        Amanda Makela G........ 5’7” ........12/20/93...........Thunder Bay, Ont...... Thunder Bay (Midget AA)
                        Brianna Piper G............ 5’7” ....... 03/19/93.......... Oakville, Ont............ Toronto (PWHL)
                        Abby Ryplanski G......... 5’4” ........08/17/93.......... Winnipeg, Man......... Balmoral Hall (JWHL)
                        Camille Trautman G......5’2” .........01/29/93...........Rimbey, Alta..............Red Deer (AMMFHL)

Another 1993 Goalie was added to the list last Christmas
                        Jaimie Leonoff G..........5’7” .........01/28/93........... Montreal, Que.......... Detroit Belle Tire (U19
                        Leonoff has committed to Yale.
                        Last edited by rugrats; 03-29-2011, 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

How good is Makela. Is she the best goalie coming out of this year's recruit class or at least at the top. .
                          As I said, Makela is very good. She was the #1 goalie for Team Canada U18 this year. Couldn't say if she is the best in N.A. in her age group as I have not seen the 2 Team US goalies. She has the advantage of size, and I would expect she still has alot of upside, as she really has not experienced regular high level competition yet, having come from Northern Ontario where she plays Midget AA rather than PWHL or JWHL.

Does anyone know anything about the defensemen coming in. The other 2 players that are coming here should be good. The one player is coming from Shattuck, and the other one is on the same team as Browne and she's 5-10. I'm going into next season with no expectations. They should win the CHA just not sure about non conference teams. The thing about Bram's sis being only 5-1. Who was the last player that was 5-1 and look what she did.
                          Luczak represented Team Ontario at the Canada Winter Games and attended the Canada U18 camps. She is very solid defensively, and will be a good addition to the backline. She too has alot of upside, especially if she continues to work on improving her skating.

According to my sources, the 5'10" forward on the same team as Browne will unfortunately not be able to attend Mercyhurst after all, with continued Clearinghouse problems in her victory lap year. Too bad as she was one of the top scorers this year in the PWHL with a cannon for a shot.

Comment

She was the #1 goalie for Team Canada U18 this year.
                            Not sure about that as according to HC website she played in 2 games @ the U18 Worlds with a .833 sv% and did not play in the semifinal or final. Unless something else was going on (injury?) I would say the box score supports a shared or back up role. I also wouldn't overlook the potential contribution of Ciampa. I have watched her play and she can certainly step up plus she will have 2 seasons under her belt at the D1 level. It does seem that the coach tends to ride one horse all season though, maybe to the long term detriment of developing the overall goaltending situation.

Comment

The thing with Makela not playing the u18 gold game was the coaches decision. They picked the other goalie and they lost. You never know if she played what would of happened. Ciampa should get a lot more games next season. She played in 2 games last year and didn't give up much. Sisti tends to ride his number 1 a little to much. Pattenden is a good goalie, but since her freshman year they have gotten worse national title wise. Maybe if Pattenden made some key saves in the biggest games they would of had a better record. She plays well against CHA or lesser opponents, but when it comes to teams that they faced this season like cornell and Wisconsin she gave up at least 3 goals in each of those games.

Comment

Working...
                              X