Minnesota Golden Gopher Off Season 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Golden Gopher Off Season 2011

First, it may be more relevant to the thread dedicated to the recently concluded season, but since I'm not at all sure there will be any individual recognitions or Captains chosen at the banquet, there may not be anything to add to the 2010-2011 season thread, thus I'll open this thread to consume Gopher fans with all things material to the GWH off season topic. The recent trend has been for no individual recognitions if I recall...that could change of course. Regarding Captains...it seems we've waited 'til they took the ice in late Sep. or early Oct. for those designations to become known...at least for last season, again, if I'm remembering correctly.

So, here's what I hope the team looks like in 2011-2012:

In goal:
    Noora Räty
    Alyssa Grogan
    ??????

On defense:
    Kelly Seeler
    Katie Frischmann
    Mira Jalosuo
    Megan Bozek
    Anne Schleper
    Baylee Gillanders
    Rachel Ramsey

At forward:
    Samantha Downey
    Sarah Erickson
    Amanda Kessel
    Sarah Davis
    Kelly Terry
    Becky Kortum
    Ashley Stenerson
    Bethany Brausen
    Emily West
    Nikki Ludwigson
    Jen Schoullis
    Stephanie Anderson
    Rachel Bona
    Meghan Lorence

Am I forgetting anyone?

Could be some interchangeability for a few as far as playing on defense or at forward. To me it looks as though they have a pretty clear six blueliners.

Forward line combinations...I'll leave that to the folks who get paid to devise those strategies...or anyone else who has thoughts on the possibilities. Have at it...at your leisure.
    Minnesota Hockey

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Off Season 2011

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    First, it may be more relevant to the thread dedicated to the recently concluded season, but since I'm not at all sure there will be any individual recognitions or Captains chosen at the banquet ...
    The banquet was already held in February in conjunction with Senior Day and called something like Senior Celebration, so no news is forthcoming from that quarter.

In goal:
    ??????
    Let's Play Hockey reported that Shyler Sletta of New Prague would be attending Minnesota.

On defense:
    Katie Frischmann

At forward:
    Samantha Downey
    Could be some interchangeability for a few as far as playing on defense or at forward. To me it looks as though they have a pretty clear six blueliners.
    Given that Downey was both the sixth D and 10th forward last season, she could appear at either position depending on availability of others. It looks to me like the Gophers could construct a very credible 4th line.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

All six forwards from very successful top two lines returning although it remains to be seen if those combinations will remain intact. Certainly one would expect West to slot in somewhere on a top two line. West with Brausen? Both are left shots who feature excellent speed as an asset, maybe they are too similar to play together. West could be returning to her pre-injury spot with Schoullis and Erickson. That would leave Kessel without a spot but her skill set indicates that she doesn't have to look, a spot will find her. Perhaps with the past season's other two freshmen, changing the 9-10-11 to an 8-9-10. Like Kessel, Kortum's level of play this past season indicates that a spot will find her.

Ramsey when I saw her play was at D but I wonder if she might get a look at forward.

Baseball has the hot-stove league, I guess thanks to brookyone for getting the cold lemonade league season started.
      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
        Ramsey when I saw her play was at D but I wonder if she might get a look at forward.
        I'd say her future is at D. One reason is she is definitely an impact player at D (helped HS team to AA championship, has played D at USA hockey camps.) She fits the mold of what Frost seems to like on the blue line -- tall, strong. The Gophs were a D short last year, thus the move of Downey. Ramsey on the blue line better serves to balance the classes at the position; we'd have 2 Sr, 2 Jr, So, Fr, with two recruits committed to replace Schleper and Seeler. Plus, I don't see the forward situation being in any trouble such that they'd have to look for answers from the D.

Comment

The more interesting battle will be at forward with 14 candidates (including Downey) battling for positions on the top two lines, then 8 for a spot on the 3rd. At this point I would break down the forwards into three groups:

Top two lines - proven performers and heavy favorites, assuming no injuries:
          West
          Kessel
          Erickson
          Terry
          Schoullis
          Davis

Note: Not much doubt about the first three, but I expect all in this group will be pushed by the very talented players in the next group below.

Top two lines - decent chance but 3rd line probably more likely:
          Kortum
          Brausen
          Lorence
          Bona
          Anderson

Note: One or possibly two of these gifted players could surprise and grab a spot on the top two lines. And as the season progresses, the numbers dictate that one or two of these will see most of their action on the forth line.

4th line probable - fighting for playing time
          Downey (unless moved to D, then probably part of 4th pair with Frischmann)
          Ludwigson
          Stenerson

Note: Who the heck knows, one or more or these players could also catch fire and see more playing time than anyone's expecting. In any case it's certainly nice to have this kind of depth.

No doubt the coaches will be trying many different line combinations to see which players "click" and make each other better. The coaches have to be excited about the talent and potential the incoming freshmen will add to the lineup, plus the huge boost Emily West will hopefully add once again. It should be a very interesting process to watch. As always, injuries and other unforeseen developments can change things in a hurry. Lets just hope everyone is able to avoid serious injury (and otherwise stay eligible!) as I think this team has the potential to be really good.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Ramsey at forward is something I had never contemplated...the staff have surprised me in the past. They do look to have the forward positions pretty well covered for 2011-2012. The few times I've watched Miss Ramsey play she has looked pretty impressive for her shut down capabilities at D...even against the very quick, fleet footed forwards that came her way.

I said I'd leave the many potential line combos to the staff. Just have to say I really like the way Kessel and Schoullis work together. An 8-9-10 line sounds like a potentially dangerous line for opponents to me. I hear Miss Anderson has the jets and can shoot the puck...could possibly find some nice compliments to Sarah Erickson among the 2011-2012 freshmen forwards.

Last year this time I stated Kortum was the player I expected to see make a bigger impact in her sophomore season. I happen to feel the same about Brausen this time around.

Edit: Might not be so easy to determine a "top line" vs. a 2nd & 3rd line. I see that as a nice problem to have.
            Last edited by brookyone; 03-23-2011, 12:04 PM.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Last year this time I stated Kortum was the player I expected to see make a bigger impact in her sophomore season. I happen to feel the same about Brausen this time around.
              Your prediction made sense, because Kortum was coming on strong at the end of her rookie year, and she seemed to carry that momentum into the early part of her sophomore season. In the end, she improved by 5 points in two less games (only Jalosuo made a bigger jump with a 6-point gain.) However, I didn't get the sense that Kortum was necessarily showing the same improvement at the end of the year. She had 11 points by the end of November and only 8 more the rest of the way. Whether Brausen increases her impact will depend to a big extent on the amount of ice time that she gets.

Regarding the returning forwards who have had some amount of opportunity to this point at Minnesota (I don't know that any of Ludwigson, Frischmann, or Stenerson have had sufficient chance to play so we can guess at their offensive potential), here is a ranking of those forwards by their highest point total in a Gopher season to date. The other number is their career total over the number of seasons they have played:

Kessel 50 50/1
              West 46 114/3*
              Erickson 43 106/3
              Schoullis 40 92/3
              Terry 39 39/1
              Davis 32 32/1
              Kortum 19 33/2
              Brausen 9 9/1
              Downey 6 12/2

The natural break seems to be after Davis. I could see Brausen being more productive with the right set of wings. IMO, she's closer to being a playmaker than a finisher at this level.

I realize this is totally apples and oranges, but here are the totals put up by the three incoming forwards last year, although I only have points for the league games for Anderson. There are obvious differences anyway, such as it is harder to put up numbers in the JWHL than in high school, and Bona had more support than did Lorence.

Anderson 25 games (JWHL stats only), 21 + 15 = 36
              Bona 31 games, 59 + 39 = 98
              Lorence 27 games, 45 + 18 = 63

From the numbers and the little I've seen of them, and in the case of Anderson in particular it is very little, I'd say that each may be as good or better at scoring as setting up others. Anderson is a Thunstrom type of player in that if she gets a step she is gone. Not likely to stick-handle through the whole team, but good enough with the puck to put pressure on a defender, particularly at the speed at which she moves. Bona is slippery and smart about getting to spots on the ice from which she can score. Seems to possess an accurate shot and shoots to score, not just for the sake of shooting. Not a lot of size, so that will be the question for her as moves to the next level. Lorence is a power forward who can put the puck away; she's the type of player who if she's playing against your team, you never relax when she's on the ice.

My guess is that the natural tendency will be to put the top 6 returning scorers on the top two lines and go from there. I wouldn't do that, at least not right away. I'd blend the newcomers in with the vets and try to get a picture of what each can do. Both of Wisconsin's last two NCAA championship teams have had 3rd lines that could score, and that creates a lot of problems for the opposition. For example, what if West took Kessel's place on the Schoullis line. Putting out a line with Kessel at center and wings like Anderson and Lorence would cause all sorts of match-up problems, because it would have a lot of speed and players who can score in transition. I wouldn't necessarily take these lines to the postseason, but it would give players and combos a chance to emerge.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                My guess is that the natural tendency will be to put the top 6 returning scorers on the top two lines and go from there. I wouldn't do that, at least not right away. I'd blend the newcomers in with the vets and try to get a picture of what each can do. Both of Wisconsin's last two NCAA championship teams have had 3rd lines that could score, and that creates a lot of problems for the opposition. For example, what if West took Kessel's place on the Schoullis line. Putting out a line with Kessel at center and wings like Anderson and Lorence would cause all sorts of match-up problems, because it would have a lot of speed and players who can score in transition. I wouldn't necessarily take these lines to the postseason, but it would give players and combos a chance to emerge.
                I'd go the same route to start. I think it can obviously be a boon for the freshmen adjusting to D-I to be inserted on a line with veteran experience and proven production. Particularly for those rookie forwards with the kind of talent you're counting on to add scoring punch throughout their career.

Having West back will add a few dimensions and possibilities to say the least...for line combos, as well as PP and PK units.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Top two lines - proven performers and heavy favorites, assuming no injuries:
                  West
                  Kessel
                  Erickson
                  Terry
                  Schoullis
                  Davis
                  This line(s) make me nervous. There's some serious fire power there.

Comment

Anderson
                    Bona
                    Lorence

From the numbers and the little I've seen of them, and in the case of Anderson in particular it is very little, I'd say that each may be as good or better at scoring as setting up others.
                    Lorence was much more a goal scorer than a set up forward this past year to be sure but two years ago when she had another goal scorer on the team (McDonald) her assist total was more in line with her goals. And didn't she have the assist on the Coyne world junior championship winning goal that was waived off?

On Ramsey, current Gopher staff has shown some affection for the large forward, I am thinking Jalosuo on the power play and also the fairly persistent attempt to make Zebro into Zaugg. Certainly it will be no disappointment if Ramsey ends up being the kind of D that it looks like she can be but who knows? She has never played a game of college hockey and Minnesota has 7 players already on the roster who have taken shifts at defense in WCHA league games. I think probably both Downey and Frischmann think you are giving away their spot in the starting line up a little bit early. They both have a summer to improve and then another chance this fall to prove that one of them is the one the Gophers need on the blue line.

Comment

I think probably both Downey and Frischmann think you are giving away their spot in the starting line up a little bit early.
                      I'm sure all associated with the Gophs are comforted to know that I have no authority to give anything away. My assumptions are based in part on what we saw last year. There were a couple of weekends in December when Rasmussen was out of the lineup, and May missed a series in February. At those times, Downey moved up to forward and Minnesota skated 5 D. The season before, Frischmann had been added to the rotation when one of the top 6 D was out; this year, she wasn't. So my best guess is that Downey will retain the "/" role if there is one next year. As for Ramsey at forward, anything is possible. I don't see it as likely, though.

Comment

As for Ramsey at forward, anything is possible. I don't see it as likely, though.
                        I agree, I don't see it as likely. It is an off season speculation thread. If I am going to speculate why not speculate wildly?

Wendel played D in high school.

Comment

Wendel played D in high school.
                          She did, at least that's what they called it. When I watched her HS team, it looked more like her partner played D while KW waited for the proper moment to steal the puck and race up the ice with it.

And I agree with you -- speculating is about all we have for the next six months, so wild or not, it's all good.

Comment

She did, at least that's what they called it. When I watched her HS team, it looked more like her partner played D while KW waited for the proper moment to steal the puck and race up the ice with it.
                            Yah, and she did it in college too! You forgot to add that it was usually a break-away. And, that she usually scored!! Her graduation was a great day for UMD fans!! Now, we've got to worry about that Kessell girl!! The goofs appear to be on the rise!

Comment

She was so much better than most of the players she "competed" with in HS that it was like she was a playground monitor or a catcher in the rye or something, just sorta hanging around the defensive zone to maintain order while waiting for the moment to strike. I mean, come on, 100 goals in a high school season? Who can do that?

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
                              Yah, and she did it in college too! You forgot to add that it was usually a break-away. And, that she usually scored!! Her graduation was a great day for UMD fans!!
                              Just a minor technical correction here, Wendell left the UofM with eligibility remaining (as did Darwitz). Both last appeared for the Gophers in 2005 as juniors.

Comment

Working...
                              X