Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The CCHA: Where do we go from here?

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
    Speaking for myself I can say that this LSSU fan reciprocates your hope for success among the other UP schools ( just not aginst the Lakers of course lol) even though the consensus is that MTU will never leave the WCHA, I will always hope for a day when all three UP schools are competing in the same conference!
    You hit on the spot lssu vs mtu vs nmu. I hope someday these schools can all play home and home series.

-----It is one of the saddest setups in college hockey. -----

These schools should be together in some shape and form. Get the three presidents of the colleges together and lets play many games together.

Comment

I'd be really surprised if the CCHA puts UAH in even now. They faced Ferris this year at Big Rapids, and that series was easily the most deserted series from a crowd standpoint all season. When looking at the remaining CCHA teams, I think they'd have that same problem. I don't think UAH would sell for anything with the other CCHA teams. The program really doesn't have any name recognition to draw in ticket sales. Plus, the team has just not really been that good the past few years, which weakens sales more, and could worry teams about Pairwise issues. That, plus 9 is an awkward number for a conference, and these teams aren't going to want to travel to UAH either. I just don't see it. I would think a lot of the CCHA would probably rather schedule in one of the Big Ten teams or WCHA teams instead of having to schedule UAH.

Comment

Not to speak for Niagara since I am an RIT fan, but there were many people who were unhappy about Niagara going to AHA. The only reason they applied is that the AD thought it would be more viable to be in a conference than try to tough it out as an independant. I believe Niagara would jump at the chance to join the CCHA.

I agree that the ECAC is a more viable option for RIT should they want to leave. They did an inquiry about joining when they started discussions regarding moving up to DI. Being able to compete at that level without scholarships at that time did not seem to be practical (see the Union example as to how long it took them to be a good program) and the AHA was more practical. However, barring the Ivy League schools leaving OR realignment due to a Northeastern school such as Syracuse adding hockey, I don't see anything changing there. RIT has shown that they are certainly an up-and-comer with a Frozen Four appearance, several league regular season titles, and now having a player in the NHL to boost visability.

Also, I may be wrong, but rink attendance/capacity wise, when RIT builds their new arena (capital campaign is underway), I think they will be in the best shape of any AHA team to move to a bigger conference even with the no athletic scholarship limit.
        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2010 Frozen Four participant
        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by chargersupporter View Post
          Many posters think it is very unlikely Alabama-Huntsville will be accepted in to the CCHA. Their reasoning is that they were rejected when they applied to be the 12th team, they will be rejected if they apply to be the 9th team. The schools that didn't want to travel to UAH in a 12-team league will certainly not want to travel to Huntsville even more in a 9-team league. If UAH is not accepted by CCHA, things do not look good for the program to continue.
          Unfortunately, I believe you're right. Their admission does not look likely...to me.
          http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
            Curious if there's any bitterness among remaining CCHA team fans............as a Michigan fan I have to say I'm disappointed. I'm disappointed because:
            (1) I think a 6 team conference is lame and we play Minnesota and WI quite frequently it seems
            (2) Even if this is better for "us" - I fear that we're really hurting some other D1 teams and there should be consideration of their welfare. If this causes Miami and/or ND to leave, isn't college hockey worse off overall?
            (3) I will miss the rivalries - any given year or weekend, Miami, ND, Ferris State, Western Michigan.........they can kick your butt. I even go back to the days when LSSU was an absolute force.

I don't know all the facts here, but I just don't feel good about this. Somebody explain to me why I'm wrong (apart from money) and make me feel better!
            I'm not bitter...now. But, if this whole thing fails, and by that I mean, 1) BTHC fails, loses money, collapses and the schools want back into their original conferences, 2) this decision leads to the dissolution of the CCHA or other leagues, or 3) several schools drop hockey as a result and the sport is worse off because of this. THEN I'll be bitter.

I'm hoping this will perhaps encourage more schools to consider D-I hockey but it's a wait and see.

So, trying to be optimistic but if this thing ends up doing more harm than good, that's when I'll be bitter.
            http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
              Unfortunately, I believe you're right. Their admission does not look likely...to me.
              That can only mean one thing if no one to play UAH. Fold nah nah hay good bye

Wakeup CCHA and let UAH in. We dont need another wayne state and Findley. We need UNO's and Bemdji's

Comment

I cannot speak for Ferris, but LSSU is putting 5 million dollars into their facilities and BGSU has started a 9 million dollar campaign to upgrade there.
                Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                  I'm not bitter...now. But, if this whole thing fails, and by that I mean, 1) BTHC fails, loses money, collapses and the schools want back into their original conferences, 2) this decision leads to the dissolution of the CCHA or other leagues, or 3) several schools drop hockey as a result and the sport is worse off because of this. THEN I'll be bitter.

I'm hoping this will perhaps encourage more schools to consider D-I hockey but it's a wait and see.

So, trying to be optimistic but if this thing ends up doing more harm than good, that's when I'll be bitter.
                  It can go a few ways.... Either it is a complete and utter failure or it creates more teams, and the D-2 schools become more of the mid majors and still compete.

Either way, expect it harder to make the NCAAs as about 27% of the teams make it in. I dont see an expansion of the field of 16 anytime soon.
                  Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                  1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                  2006-2007: 15-24-2
                  2007-2008: 20-20-4
                  2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

WILX is reporting that Anastos is out as commish and in as head coach at Michigan State.
                    This space for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
                      WILX is reporting that Anastos is out as commish and in as head coach at Michigan State.
                      Lovely. Glad to see he was looking out for the rest of the league.

Born a Black Bear
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life

NMU Hockey

Comment

Wait, what? I thought Danton Cole was the name they were reporting?
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I thought somebody said it was going to be Danton Cole. Did he pull out of the job.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Wait, what? I thought Danton Cole was the name they were reporting?
                            I just went by what INCH is tweeting. I could be wrong.
                            This space for sale.

Comment

I just went by what INCH is tweeting. I could be wrong.
                              Just wondering because aallenpollreisz posted this in the MSU thread:
                              Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                              WILX is saying Danton Cole will likely be named the new head hockey coach. Press conference at Munn at 4:00p today.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

INCH seems to have two different conformations on this according to their Twitter.

Born a Black Bear

A NMU Wildcat for Life

NMU Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X