Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech needs a new coach, what do you say Cary Eades?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech needs a new coach, what do you say Cary Eades?

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Here is the list of names I've heard mentioned for the MTU Job:

College Assistant Coaches:
    Cary Eades - Associate Head Coach - North Dakota
    Mel Pearson - Associate Head Coach - Michigan
    Steve Rohlik - Top Assitant - Ohio State
    Steve Miller - Top Assitant - Denver
    Mike Guentzel - Assistant - Nebraska-Omaha
    Brent Brekke - Top Assistant - Miami-Ohio

USHL Head Coaches:
    Ron Rolston - Head Coach - USNDPT U-18
    Danton Cole - Head Coach - USNDPT U-17
    Eric Rud - Green Bay
    Mark Carlson - Cedar Rapids
    Jim Montgomery - Dubuque
    Kevin Hartzell - Sioux Falls

DIII Head Coaches:
    Scott Bell - Hamline University
    Ron Fogarty - Adrian College
    Tim Coghlin - St Norberts College

Others:
    Cory Laylin - Head Coach - Buffalo (Minnesota)
    Jim Johnson - Associate Head Coach - Norfolk (AHL)

Retreads:
    John Markell - Former Head Coach - Ohio State
    Rick Comley - Former Head Coach - Michigan State
    Craig Dahl - Former Head Coach - St Cloud State
    Doug Woog - Former Head Coach - Minnesota
    Frank Anzalone - Former Head Coach - Lake Superior State
    Pretty comprehensive list. There are five or six names I see that I think are likely to be in the mix. Rohlik, Miller and Brekke among the assistants. Rud and Montgomery from the Juniors and Markell from the retreads.
    Last edited by davyd83; 03-26-2011, 02:22 PM.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Its Eades first then everyone else. Eades would be the best hire, by far.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Besides he's a Tech alum, what's wrong with Pearson? And speaking of Tech alums, Rolston and Payne aren't doing to bad, so they can't all be bad even though the ones who've coached at Tech have been.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
          Besides he's a Tech alum, what's wrong with Pearson? And speaking of Tech alums, Rolston and Payne aren't doing to bad, so they can't all be bad even though the ones who've coached at Tech have been.
          I think the WCHA experience is way more important than Tech Alumni status.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Maybe Tech can go with an interim for a year then hire Lucia. He's won two NCs and will be too young to retire. Unless things are stranger than they seem up in Wobegon, he'll need a job.

Might even come with an assistant for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              I think the WCHA experience is way more important than Tech Alumni status.
              I realize the WCHA has been good, but UofM hasn't exactly been a slouch. If you look at their list of players thru the past 10-15 years, it's probably top five in the country as well. Also maybe I'm just getting used of the idea because like it or not (and I don't like it), Tech's way is to hire alumni, so if Pearson wants the job,my guess is it's his to lose.

Someone told me today U of M has made the NCAA's 21 straight years. Mel Pearson has been there for 23. How do you argue with that? How is Eades a frontrunner by far?
              Last edited by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS; 03-26-2011, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                Maybe Tech can go with an interim for a year then hire Lucia. He's won two NCs and will be too young to retire. Unless things are stranger than they seem up in Wobegon, he'll need a job.

Might even come with an assistant for free.
                I believe he just signed another three year deal.

Also Berenson signed another three year deal so it makes it more likely that Pearson may not want to continue waiting around.

Comment

I believe he just signed another three year deal.
                  I should have used a smilie.

Comment

Also maybe I'm just getting used of the idea because like it or not (and I don't like it), Tech's way is to hire alumni, so if Pearson wants the job,my guess is it's his to lose.
                    You don't like Pearson, or you don't think any alumni should be interviewed?
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      You don't like Pearson, or you don't think any alumni should be interviewed?
                      I like Pearson; I don't like the fact that MTU views being an alumni as part of their criteria for hiring someone.

Comment

I don't think an alumni should be given the position. Tech has been down that road many times and often you are blinded by it. The last time I believe Tech had some signs of real success was with Brown and he was quickly hired by the pros.

Mel left because his wife didn't care for it at Tech and he really thought Red would be gone in a few years. OOPS

Ronnie would seem to be a great choice but that goes against the alumni rule. I would expect Susan is consulting with several people that have ties. I know Comley had inquired at Tech in the past, though might have been to get the AD and Head Coaching job. He did seem to make it work at NMU. His frustration with MSU seemed due to players leaving early and he liked to build a team over time instead of recruiting one constantly. I would at least use Comley as a consultant.

Comment

Someone told me today U of M has made the NCAA's 21 straight years. Mel Pearson has been there for 23. How do you argue with that? How is Eades a frontrunner by far?
                          Are you watching the Sioux game right now? Yeah, argument over.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I like Pearson; I don't like the fact that MTU views being an alumni as part of their criteria for hiring someone.
                            I hear you. I don't think we should rule out anyone at this point, even if they are alumni. What I like about Pearson is that he has close contacts where we are likely to have more success recruiting than in MN, where Eades' might have more influence. I do think either one would be a great hire for Tech though.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Are you watching the Sioux game right now? Yeah, argument over.
                              Don't get too excited. UND played an engineering school that is worse than Tech at hockey today.
                              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                                Don't get too excited. UND played an engineering school that is worse than Tech at hockey today.
                                Don't under estimate this win; it is big. It makes your assisant coach the most qualified candidate for an open coaching position.

Comment

Working...
                                X