PDA

View Full Version : It's Realignment time, it's realignment time! Make it work

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

burgie12
03-24-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm admittedly NOT the most knowledgeable person in regards to NCAA regulations, but wasn't it stated recently that if a program wanted to launch/upgrade to a D1 hockey program (or any sport for that matter), they would need to do so with the entire athletics department? I know a lot of teams came up to D1 in the late 90s/early 2000s (with RIT being the last), but I was under the impression that this was a result of disbanding D2 in hockey. If a team like Oswego, for example, wanted to join D1 now ... could they??
There has been a moratorium placed on playing up (unless you take the entire athletics program with you) since RIT's men team went up. However, the moratorium was originally a short-term thing (5 years??) and there hasn't been much to indicate that it will be permanent.

As a side note, RIT's women have already stated that they will become a DI program as soon as allowed. So, there are definitely teams pushing for this blockade to be shut down.

HungryHungryHuskies
03-24-2011, 05:59 PM
There has been a moratorium placed on playing up (unless you take the entire athletics program with you) since RIT's men team went up. However, the moratorium was originally a short-term thing (5 years??) and there hasn't been much to indicate that it will be permanent.

As a side note, RIT's women have already stated that they will become a DI program as soon as allowed. So, there are definitely teams pushing for this blockade to be shut down.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification.