UMD ~ Offseason Thread: Offseason Optimism heading to 2011-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMD ~ Offseason Thread: Offseason Optimism heading to 2011-12

Wisconsin did what most of us expected today and in great form making the WCHA proud. Congrats to our rivals in red!

Now it's time to start the long and painful countdown to the 2011-12 Season that will end with Duluth hosting the Frozen Four in our awesome new facility.

There's so much talent on this team....and it sounds like great talent coming in. WHAT will be the difference to bring home #6?

Re: UMD ~ Offseason Thread: Offseason Optimism heading to 2011-12

Hey Skate . . . almost too soon to think about next season. I'm still mulling over what went "wrong" with this season. I expected a better overall performance from the Dogs this season. The parts just never seemed to fit together right. However, I do think that their performance in the NCAA quarters showed that they could play with the best team in the country. I think an argument could be made that they gave the Badgers the best competition in the NCAA final 8. (I'm not going to make it, but I think it could be!)

A few thoughts on what they need to make it to #6:

1.) They need more scoring punch throughout the lineup. This year proved that one line is not enough. I think there's plenty of improvement we can still see from the 09-10 championship class - Willy, Corny, Thibault, Wong. And, it would be great for Gillanders, Kenyon and Gallop to make a good sophomore jump.

2.) Defense? Who's going to replace our all-American? This might be the toughest hurddle for the 'Dogs to jump. Perhaps new players will help fill the void. (Is the full recruiting class listed anywhere?) Jaaks and Posa will have to step up and hold the blue line until new players come around.

3.) Leadership. Larocque (not unlike Tuominen last year) seemed to be the glue that held the team together. They've always been successful when they've had a strong leader - that one person that played hard and set the example both on and off the ice. Who will it be next season?

4.) I wish the school, the team would do more to connect with the community again.

I'm always hopeful . . . they do have a few great players coming back (at least I assume so). Irwin, Winberg (has yet to play a full season to her potential), and Wong come to mind first.

Comment

I hear you, Binny. Too soon. At the time, I was looking for something to ease the pain to lure me out of my hole. My responses to your list:

1) Agreed. Was weird to me that those key players from 2009-10 didn't have the punch. What was the difference between Frosh Wilson and Sophomore Wilson? I feel like Wong in D for the year wasn't where we can see her potential, but man she came up with some clutch plays and goals still as a D. Make me think that there's more to come from her as a true forward? I think Kenyon could really shine next year. When she has a chance to get good purchase on that puck, look out. And Winberg, too.

2)Big hole there to fill, no doubt. Here's the list as I know it from the Bulldog's Web Site though it never seems to get put in on the Commitment's thread:
      • Bridgette Lacquette.......D......(U of Manitoba/Team Canada U18).........Waterhen, MB
      • Jenna McParland .......F........(Toronto Aeros/Team Canada U18).......Thunder Bay, ON
      • Isabelle Jordansson..........F........ (MODO/Team Sweden)............Stockholm, Sweden
      • Tea Villila..........D.............. (HPK Hameenlinna/Team Finland).......Hyvinkaa, Finland
      • Zoe Hickel..........F............. (NAHA/Team USA U18).........................Anchorage, AK
      • Paige Turner....... G.............(MN Thoroughbreds) ................................Duluth, MN
      • Emma Stauber.... D..........(PHM).................................. ..................Proctor, MN

3) I think Ambroz could be a likely choice for a leadership role. She may not be the superstar on the ice, but she works hard on her shifts and she is a natural leader in her personality and way with people. I don't know if a Goalie is a good choice for captain's duties-- but Jenny will be a senior next year and is the oldest on the team. Hard to get a good read on what a goalie's leadership style is when the goalie gig is a whole different animal. That said, Lana Steck, despite being third goalie is as good as good gets when it comes to great people. As I look at this year's roster, there are only TWO Juniors... which is a bit misleading as Posa and Harss will be graduating this year.

4) Yes. Have no idea how to express that sentiment to the AD though. Thoughts? I feel like there's some walls and barriers though I feel like they can be overcome sitting at the table and having a beer together.

Comment

Not sure where Bridgette Lacquette ended up this past season, but she will be a monster for UMD. She is very offensive and has a cannon for a shot. I think the sophmores will step up and play big games next season and the two fr forwards coming in will be pleasant surprises..... good luck next season!

Comment

For those Bulldog fans who follow the men's team as well, congratulations.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by rugrats View Post
            Not sure where Bridgette Lacquette ended up this past season, but she will be a monster for UMD. She is very offensive and has a cannon for a shot. I think the sophmores will step up and play big games next season and the two fr forwards coming in will be pleasant surprises..... good luck next season!
            Lacquette played for the Bisons last year.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              For those Bulldog fans who follow the men's team as well, congratulations.
              Thanks ARM, it's definitely a great day to be a Bulldog fan here in Duluth. Couldn't be happier for the boys. Big Party tonight at Amsoil to continue the celebration.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                Lacquette played for the Bisons last year.
                Actually, she only played until October... Unversity of Manitoba coach told her to hit the road after she told him she was going to UMD for 2011/12. Her older sister is the goalie for University of Manitboa. So she has basically not played a game since October 2010. Apparently Hockey Canada was not impressed.

Comment

Nice story about Jocelyne Larocque from the Winnipeg Free Press about her time at UMD and the upcoming Team Canada stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
                    Nice story about Jocelyne Larocque from the Winnipeg Free Press about her time at UMD and the upcoming Team Canada stuff.

Awesome article! Would have been great to see them play together.

As for the U of MB thing, apparently the coach gave her the option to leave then told her she was off the team when she decided to leave. No big deal, the hockey was way too low for her there. Top D at the World U18's 2 years ago pretty well means she can play hockey.

Comment

And congrats to Larocque (and Haley Irwin) for making the Team Canada roster for the upcoming 2011 IIHF World Women's Championship.

Comment

If you're really hard up for any Bulldog news, here's a video from Sweden about the upcoming world championships and the Swedish team's preparation. You might see some familiar faces if you watch closely. And if you understand Swedish, you'll probably enjoy it even more.

And here's a page of pictures from Sweden's win today over Russia 7-1 in a preliminary game. There's a pic of Gavrilova in there.

Comment

Working...
                        X