Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA West Regional - 3/25, 3/26 - BC, Michigan, UNO, CC

Originally posted by MavRick View Post
    Hmm....Streaker in "acerbic to Maverick n00bs" mode, or Red Cows in "I invented teh hockz0rz!" mode.

I'll go with Streaker. Cows, we beat these subjects to death in, you know, 2000. And they have limited precedential value by virtue of (a) tDean and (b) having happened eleven years ago."

It all comes down to this: Faulkner not having a disastrous night. If he's Shutout Faulkner, then it's even money to the FF against BC and Michigan.
    Rick, what in the world do I have to be bitter over? Let's put it this way... if Michigan fans are toolz then UNO fans are the Home Depot. Thanks for playin', though. A bit of pot>kettle> black. Funny how all the cute, old bit acronyms about Michigan get tossed about by neutered cow fans when these two teams get ready to play. Michigan fans: *crickets* and rightly so. Give us a reason to hate you. Better yet, give us a more than a reason to respect you other than tDean and some random wins.

You've officially reached defcon 2 on the "we're the WCHA" bs meter.

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
      Let's ignore this dope and get this thread back on the rails.

How has Michigan performed against Hockey East teams over the last three years?
      What does that matter? The guy isn't a Michigan fan. Leave us out of that discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post
        Hey, tig...you forgot about the Alaska schools. They are definitely further west.
        They are SOOOO far west they are east!
        Originally posted by vizoroo
        Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
        Originally posted by duper
        I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
        Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
        Originally posted by dggoddard
        Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          What does that matter? The guy isn't a Michigan fan. Leave us out of that discussion.
          I think you misunderstood haha... Joe was trying to divert the discussion back to intelligent conversation. I think he genuinely doesn't know.
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post
            Hey, tig...you forgot about the Alaska schools. They are definitely further west.
            Is Alaska a state too?
            World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

Originally posted by Showstopper View Post
              Hello. I'm a St. Louis native and big St. Louis Blues fan who will be attending the games this weekend. My only live college hockey experiences are the 2007 Frozen Four and a game between Minnesota and Northeastern at Marriucci Arena two years ago. That said I don't know too much on the teams. I know Michigan is coached by Blues great, Red Berenson. I know Scooter Vaughan on Michigan from his days playing for the St. Louis Bandits in the NAHL. Ditto for CC's Andrew Hamburg. I also know about Jaden Schwartz being Blues property.

Aside from those facts I was just wondering if I could kind of get a preview from posters on this forum on what to expect from each team this weekend. Otherwise I look forward to some great hockey this weekend at the Scottrade Center.
              You are in for a treat I tell you! College Hockey is the best and you are lucky enough to get to go see the best regional there will be this year!

I don't know a lot about the other schools in this region, but I do know you won't be seeing any boring, "lets trap the other team to death" hockey. BC specific is an extremely entertaining team (which can make for some heart pounding moments for us BC fans) because of the fact that they can make something out of nothing in the blink of the eye. A minor mistake by the opponent in their offensive end will turn into a 3 on 1 before you can even say "woops." The first line of Cam Atkinson - Brian Gibbons - Joe Whitney is one of, if not the best line in college hockey yet none of them are taller than 5'8." Then you have the second line of Chris Krieder - Pat Mullane - Jimmy Hayes which features two of the best power forwards in the country in Jimmy Hayes (6'5" 220) and Chris Kreider (6'2" 214), but don't let their size fool you they are extremely fast as well. On defense BC has Mammouth's in Tommy Cross (6'3" 214) and Brian Dumolin (6'4" 210) who play on different pairings but they will both shut down other teams top players if they are asked to play that role.

You should have a great time watch these games and I hope you have fun and get into college hockey!
              BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
              National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
              Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

I am a huge UM fan and I am sick that we got seeded with BC. IMO BC should be the #1 seed overall and UM should not be lower than 6th or 7th, so we got semi-hosed IMO. There is no other team that I think we have less of a chance against. BC has proven to me that they are a mini-dynasty after seeing them dismantle UW last year at Ford Field, and win 3 years ago against Notre Dame. They are lightning fast, and scary good on the defensive end. BC should be 1:10 favorite to make it to the Frozen Four and a 1:2 favorite to win the whole tourney. They are that good IMO. They demolished Denver earlier this year twice and rolled through the last month in Hockey East.

As for the tourney set up in general, I think it stinks.
                Yale is a joke to be a Top seed, that whole bracket is a joke with Union as the #2 in there as well. One of those 4 teams gets a gift to make the Frozen 4 (I pick Air Force) and will get rolled once they get there by either Miami or Notre Dame.
                The Midwest I actually think Western MI has a shot against the overhyped WCHA teams. If they swapped Notre Dame and WMU, I would definitely think Notre Dame comes out of that bracket.
                BC wins easily. Which sucks.
                Go Blue!

Comment

Originally posted by MavRick View Post

It all comes down to this: Faulkner not having a disastrous night. If he's Shutout Faulkner, then it's even money to the FF against BC and Michigan.
                  Don't forget about scoring more goals than the other team, that will also be key.

Comment

Some BLATANT UNO electioneering:

http://www.omavs.com/custompages/gal...gan/index.html

From last year, but, still works, under the circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by tdzro View Post
                      I am a huge UM fan and I am sick that we got seeded with BC. IMO BC should be the #1 seed overall and UM should not be lower than 6th or 7th, so we got semi-hosed IMO.
                      It's all about the PWR.

As for the tourney set up in general, I think it stinks.
                      Yale is a joke to be a Top seed, that whole bracket is a joke with Union as the #2 in there as well. One of those 4 teams gets a gift to make the Frozen 4 (I pick Air Force) and will get rolled once they get there by either Miami or Notre Dame.
                      Don't overlook Merrimack. They are a very good team.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        It's all about the PWR.
                        I know it is, but I didn't say that I like it. The problem is that there aren't enough matchups cross-conferences. I hope that the Big 10 being added to the mix can change that around.

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Don't overlook Merrimack. They are a very good team.
                        Sorry, but their 1st winning season in 22 years is nice, but I am overlooking them until they do something...
                        Go Blue!

Comment

I know it is, but I didn't say that I like it. The problem is that there aren't enough matchups cross-conferences. I hope that the Big 10 being added to the mix can change that around.

Sorry, but their 1st winning season in 22 years is nice, but I am overlooking them until they do something...
                          You can overlook them all you want, but if a team that is playing them overlooks them they Merrimack is going to surprise the **** out of them.
                          BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                          National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                          Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                            How has Michigan performed against Hockey East teams over the last three years?
                            This season 2010-2011
                            Saturday, Oct 16
                            #3 Michigan at #9 New Hampshire = result 3-3 tie
                            Michigan usually starts the season pretty slow and this game seemed like an atypical start for them. Both teams showed up to play and scored on the power play. It was a fairly fast paced game and I think one of UNH's better ones of the season from the few games of their's I have seen but I defer to a UNH fan.

Last season 2009-2010
                            Oct 24
                            #4 Michigan at #3 Boston University = 3-2 BU win
                            Michigan outplayed BU almost the entire game but couldn't get any bounces. They feel behind 2-0 (2-7 on power play). Despite a major comeback in the third (2 goals on 21 shots), the defense had a really bad turnover behind the net and Hogan let in a wrap around.

2008-2009 Season
                            Oct 25
                            #5 Michigan at #7 BU = 7-2 BU win
                            Power plays were the story of the game. BU was 5 of 9 and Michigan was 2 of 12. This is an example of how Michigan starts their seasons very slow.

2007-2008 Season
                            Oct 12
                            #2 BC vs. #9 Michigan in St. Paul, Minnesota = 4-3 OT win for Michigan

Oct 26
                            BU at #3 Michigan = 4-2 Michigan win

Oct 27
                            BU at #3 Michigan = 6-2 Michigan win

Dec 28
                            #1 Michigan vs. Providence in Detroit, Michigan = 6-0 Michigan win
                            The score pretty much says it all despite 50 SOG for Providence.

The key things to take note about Michigan are
                            • They are only 8-7-2 on Friday while they are 16-2-2 on Saturday.
                            • They are 20-1-3 when scoring first while they are 6-7-1 when they score second.
                            • They are 16-1-3 when leading at the end of the first and 21-1-3 when leading at the end of the second.
                            • They are 6-5-1 against tournament teams this season (1-4-0 on Friday and 4-1-1 on Saturday and a win against CC on a pseudo Saturday)
                            • Michigan is not banged up but they are out their second leading scorer which could be a problem. They have also thrown two players off the team this season giving them less depth.

The moral of the story is that IF Michigan shows up on Friday and IF Michigan scores first, the odds are against UNO. However, these are two extremely big IF's in my opinion. I don't know UNO's stats but my wager is on whichever team scores first in the game and I think the odds are pretty even.
                            Last edited by Khryx; 03-22-2011, 03:38 AM.

Comment

careful there believe York when he said he would not be surprised if Merrimack made it to the FF...........none of us BC fans would be surprised in the least. If they get there? they will not be scared of anyone. On the big stage at the Garden in the HE finals ? they didnt blink.............. they are THAT good

Comment

Originally posted by Showstopper View Post
                                Aside from those facts I was just wondering if I could kind of get a preview from posters on this forum on what to expect from each team this weekend. Otherwise I look forward to some great hockey this weekend at the Scottrade Center.
                                This is a very good synopsis by carltonbarrett. I'll add my 2 cents below…
                                V
                                V
                                Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                                Here's an overveiw of what to expect from BC. Top line is smallish, but very fast and very, very dynamic with great hockey sense. Two of the three have already broken the 50 point mark and Cam Atkinson, who has 30 goals, may be the best pure goal scorer in the country. Second line is pretty much line 1-A, especially with Kreider apparently back in the mix now. They're big, great at cycling and depending upon who's on the line, could all be 1st (2) and 2nd (1) rd NHL picks - again, very talented and at times can flat out dominate. Third line is also very talented (see Steve Whitney's goal vs NU), but they are a bit younger than the first two lines and don't yet produce points at the same rate as the first two lines, though they have picked up the pace as of late. Not sure who will be on the 4th line now with Kreider back, but that line has generally been any energy line that can hold its own, but that is not much of a scoring threat. On defense, Domoulin, who is piling up the assists and Cross, who has a great wrist shot are both All-American caliber players who rarely make a mistake. Wey doesn't have the same offensive skills as those two, but is still a very smooth skating, dependable D-Man. Those 3 will be on the ice for sure during crunch time. Samuelsson, who was a 2nd rd pick can look very good at times but can also make the occasional bonehead play. Alber is a quick smallish guy that has been inconsistent lately, as has Shea. They definately get less minutes than the other 4. As a whole, it's a talented bunch with several high draft picks and great size at 1-4. They are also a bit young, but still very experienced having won the title last year. In net, what else is there to say about Muse? 8-0 in the NCAA's and something like 23-1 in the playoffs overall. Really gets up for the big games and rarely lets in a softie. In summation, expect relentless speed and pressure from BC's forwards and the best way to beat them on D is to get the puck to the net and hope for rebounds, screens and lucky bounces. They are too quick to try and pass the puck around the perimeter and are excellent at blocking shots. It will take dirty goals to beat them. Hope that helps!
                                With Chris Kreider returning to the lineup, BC will be near full strength and Jerry York will have many options with his game plan this weekend (full strength is dependent upon the return of 4th liner Tommy Atkinson).

Projected lines: (the Whitney's, Atkinson's and Hayes's are 3 pairs of brothers).

Offense: #3 nationally in Team Offense (3.92 goals/gm)
                                15 J. Whitney - 17 Gibbons - 13 C. Atkinson
                                19 Kreider - 11 Mullane - 10 J. Hayes
                                22 Carey - 24 Arnold - 21 S. Whitney
                                9 Almeida - 28 T. Atkinson - 12 K. Hayes … or … 9 Almeida - 12 K. Hayes - 23 Brown/14 Dyroff

Note: The Gibbons line does not always start the game as 1st line, so they may be listed as the 2nd line on the score sheet in any particular game. However, whenever a BC refers to BC's 1st line, they are referring to 15/17/13, or BC's top line, regardless of where they started a game.

Defense: #6 nationally in Team Defense (2.26 goals against/gm)
                                4 Cross - 6 Wey
                                2 Dumoulin - 27 Alber
                                5 Samuelsson - 8 Shea

Goaltending:
                                John Muse: 27-5-1, .926 save %, 2.13 goals against average, 3 Hockey East Championships, 2 National Champion Titles.

Power Play: #6 nationally (24.04%)
                                1st PP unit is 5 forwards… Carey/Almeida - Gibbons - Atkinson with the Whitney brothers at the points.
                                2nd PP unit is the 2nd line with Dumoulin and Cross at the points.

Penalty Kill: #4 nationally (86.9%) … Shorthanded Goals: #1 nationally (13)
                                Sometimes you will see 3 forwards and a D-man on the kill… dependent on Coach Yorks desire for a shortie. In 5 on 3 kill situations, sometimes 2 forwards/1 D. The forward playing D in these situations would be J. Whitney.

Boston College attacks the puck all over the ice, including while on the penalty kill. A relentless forechecking team. Plays very good team defense and are very quick in transition from defense to offense. Aggressive play in the offensive zone sometimes leads to odd man rushes for the opponent, but they have great confidence in their goaltender and their ability to recover to the d zone.

This BC team never seems to panic when playing from behind. They are capable of scoring in bunches and have the ability to turn their game up a notch or two when needed.

Sounds like the perfect team? Nah… they lost 7 games this season, and may possibly lose another. But win or lose, guaranteed you'll enjoy the heck out of their play on the ice. A very talented group of hockey players and very exciting team to watch.

Good luck to all. May the best team win.

Go Eagles!
                                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                                X