Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA West Regional - 3/25, 3/26 - BC, Michigan, UNO, CC

Originally posted by Teacher View Post
    I have been following BC hockey for 30 years. Why would we see this as David vs. Goliath? CC was .500 in a very tough conference, has quality wins over Denver, NoDak, and UNO, and showed great resilience in coming back against Wisco in the WCHA playoffs. Also, you just went toe-to-toe with the Sioux in St. Paul. Looking forward to a great match. Enjoy your time in St. Louis.
    Oh I don't know, just thought maybe some BC fans would be feeling high and mighty and ready to step on (put down) the small and most western team in D1 college hockey.
    World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
      I have a high regard for Red Berensen but UM over the years have lost a lot of players to the pros since winning in 98' against BC. Somehow ND beat UM in 2008 to avert that BC/UM matchup. Bad time to have injuries, UM needs all their players healthy to get by this regional. BC's only injury is Kreider (broken jaw) but he is returning to practice this week amazingly.
      Our only injury is David Wohlberg. Louie Caparouso came back this weekend with a two point weekend. Brandon Burlon missed this weekend due an allergic reaction to antibiotics. He should be back this weekend.

Tip: don't listen to espn for injury reports.

Comment

Originally posted by CCtig View Post
        Oh I don't know, just thought maybe some BC fans would be feeling high and mighty and ready to step on (put down) the small and most western team in D1 college hockey.
        I think Jerry York has brainwashed most BC fans into being just as polite and respectful to our opponents (except a handful) as he is...I doubt you will hear anyone putting down CC...It should be a great game
        BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES: 2010 2008 2001 1949

Comment

I am just happy we didn't draw Bemidji

Our losses are strange (5 to Bemidji, two to Qunnipiac, one to Hunstville) meanwhie we have split with five of the tournament teams (Denver, CC, Michigan, North Dakota, Duluth) so we can play with anyone on any given night.

Michigan has the talent edge, UNO has Dean and a bunch of boys who will not quit. See you in St. Louis.
          UNO Maverick Hockey - It doesn't get any better than this!

Comment

Originally posted by breed View Post
            Our losses are strange (5 to Bemidji, two to Qunnipiac, one to Hunstville) meanwhie we have split with five of the tournament teams (Denver, CC, Michigan, North Dakota, Duluth) so we can play with anyone on any given night.
            8 of the 12 games you've mentioned here in the down-the-middle split we've had with these 5 teams were on the road, too, which includes North Dakota's worst-ever home beat down by an opponent at the new Ralph. UNO scored five power play goals in that game which also featured a UNO shorty, and, one of the rarer occurences in college hockey, UNO scoring 6 on 3 on a delayed penalty extra attacker goal.

Comment

It is official, travel plans have been confirmed and CCtig will be in St. Louis!! I look forward to meeting as many BC, Mich, UNO posters as possible. It will be a great time!!

Go CC Tigers!!
              World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
                Now that is some IMPECCABLE logic! So you are saying if CC wins their first round game they have a chance to win their second round game? Wow, impressive stuff.
                I thought about the same response you just wrote. Uh, yeah...if CC can beat a loaded BC team in the first round, who brought back their defending National Champion lineup, they have a chance to do well. I thought that was a given...
                Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                -dggoddard

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                  ...which includes North Dakota's worst-ever home beat down by an opponent at the new Ralph.
                  As a Sioux fan, I would like to comment on that game for the benefit of the BC/Mich fans. UNO is a Jekyll and Hyde team that you will either be completely unimpressed by, or will beat you 6-3. I have watched the majority of North Dakota home games since the early 90s and when UND gets down by 2 at home they nearly always respond. The response that game was UNO shoving 4 more goals right up our butt. And these were nice goals on power plays where we were short handed because we tackled a guy to stop them from having a 3 on 1. And UND was not flat that night, they just got smoked. When they have their A games they don't win by one goal, they ROLL UP on people. 4-0 after 2 against Michigan as another example. So be somewhat afraid... Or not, if the stale fart team that lost to Bemidji 9 times shows up...

Comment

Off the top of my head, I believe CC was 7-7-2 against this year's tournament field. Much like UNO, when CC is on their game, they can beat anyone in the country, but they have had trouble with consistency. They have been strong in the latter part of the season, and I believe that even though they lost to UND in the WCHA tourney, they will be playing with a good deal of confidence due to how well they played in that game.

Obviously BC is a HUGE test for the Tigers. CC is very young (just 3 seniors who play regularly, 4 total). NONE of us can honestly say we expected them to be a tournament team this year, so in some ways I am looking at this as a bonus. It is great for this young team to get some early tourney experience against such a seasoned and proven opponent.

This should be an entertaining game, as both teams favor an up tempo style of play. Like BC, CC is best when they are on the attack. They are not a very good team when they play a more passive style, so I would expect them to play a fairly aggressive (but hopefully not reckless) game. Obviously, that could leave them vulnerable to BC's speed, skill, and ability to turn ANYTHING into a scoring chance. With two attacking teams, it has potential to be a high scoring game, but I would rather see that than watch the Tigers lose 5-1 by playing passive. BC will be on the attack either way, so CC might as well stay in their element by playing the same way.
                    Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                    -dggoddard

Comment

This Regional has some real potential to have some upsets. UNO and CC are both really young teams but have some talented players. They can be either really good or really bad. If CC plays BC similar to how they played UND in the Final Five there could be a huge upset. J Schwartz is a St. Louis Blues 1st round draft choice so there will hopefully be lots of local St. Louis Blues fans pulling for a CC upset and getting a look at a promising young player. Also for Michigan, Red Berenson is an ex Blue. Michigan looked flat against Western Michigan in the CCHA Mason Cup Tournament but I have a feeling Red will have his team ready to compete. Michigan and UNO played each other early in the season at Ann Arbor and the series was a split, UNO won 4-2 but then Michigan destroyed them 6-1.

Comment

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post
                        ... This should be an entertaining game, as both teams favor an up tempo style of play. Like BC, CC is best when they are on the attack. They are not a very good team when they play a more passive style, so I would expect them to play a fairly aggressive (but hopefully not reckless) game. Obviously, that could leave them vulnerable to BC's speed, skill, and ability to turn ANYTHING into a scoring chance. With two attacking teams, it has potential to be a high scoring game, but I would rather see that than watch the Tigers lose 5-1 by playing passive. BC will be on the attack either way, so CC might as well stay in their element by playing the same way.
                        I agree, I think we're going to see two different games on Friday. The Michigan-UNO game will probably be lower scoring, more defensive and methodical, esp if Michigan is still banged up. CC-BC is going to be a fast, back and forth high risk-high reward game and possibly a combined score with 10, 11, maybe up to 13 goals.

Comment

CC is the giant killer in this tournament. Don't let the 4th seed "label" fool you, this team is hungry. BC swept DU at Magness at the beginning of the year... but CC beat DU 9-2. If DU is the best way to judge how BC will matchup to the Tigers, I love our chances. If TJ can heal enough wounds to give us a three tier scoring threat, then CC can easily hack down another giant.
                          Colorado College Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by PenaltyBoxBeast View Post
                            CC is the giant killer in this tournament. Don't let the 4th seed "label" fool you, this team is hungry. BC swept DU at Magness at the beginning of the year... but CC beat DU 9-2. If DU is the best way to judge how BC will matchup to the Tigers, I love our chances. If TJ can heal enough wounds to give us a three tier scoring threat, then CC can easily hack down another giant.
                            This is a stretch, IMO. CC took it to Denver on the Olympic ice, where their speed overwhelmed the Pioneers both times they played. However, on the NHL sheet at Magness, where BC dismantled DU, DU beat CC both times.

Just sayin'
                            -dggoddard

Comment

Here's an overveiw of what to expect from BC. Top line is smallish, but very fast and very, very dynamic with great hockey sense. Two of the three have already broken the 50 point mark and Cam Atkinson, who has 30 goals, may be the best pure goal scorer in the country. Second line is pretty much line 1-A, especially with Kreider apparently back in the mix now. They're big, great at cycling and depending upon who's on the line, could all be 1st (2) and 2nd (1) rd NHL picks - again, very talented and at times can flat out dominate. Third line is also very talented (see Steve Whitney's goal vs NU), but they are a bit younger than the first two lines and don't yet produce points at the same rate as the first two lines, though they have picked up the pace as of late. Not sure who will be on the 4th line now with Kreider back, but that line has generally been any energy line that can hold its own, but that is not much of a scoring threat. On defense, Domoulin, who is piling up the assists and Cross, who has a great wrist shot are both All-American caliber players who rarely make a mistake. Wey doesn't have the same offensive skills as those two, but is still a very smooth skating, dependable D-Man. Those 3 will be on the ice for sure during crunch time. Samuelsson, who was a 2nd rd pick can look very good at times but can also make the occasional bonehead play. Alber is a quick smallish guy that has been inconsistent lately, as has Shea. They definately get less minutes than the other 4. As a whole, it's a talented bunch with several high draft picks and great size at 1-4. They are also a bit young, but still very experienced having won the title last year. In net, what else is there to say about Muse? 8-0 in the NCAA's and something like 23-1 in the playoffs overall. Really gets up for the big games and rarely lets in a softie. In summation, expect relentless speed and pressure from BC's forwards and the best way to beat them on D is to get the puck to the net and hope for rebounds, screens and lucky bounces. They are too quick to try and pass the puck around the perimeter and are excellent at blocking shots. It will take dirty goals to beat them. Hope that helps!
                              Last edited by carltonbarrett; 03-20-2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Michigan saw UNO twice at Yost and split last October. The first game the Wolverines came out uninspired and had their tails handed to them. They pulled that routine a half a dozen times this season, especially on Friday, so that doesn't bode well. Their worse games this season were against UNO, @ Minnesota, MSU @ JLA, @ Miami and last Friday against WMU @JLA. They lost once on Saturday all season- at Miami. The second game against UNO they bombed them 6-1, pretty much jumped on them from the opening faceoff. So, it will depend on what team comes out- the uninterested, deer in the headlights friday team, or the tail on fire, we can beat anybody saturday team.

They also beat CC 6-5 in the GLI final, coming back from a third period 5-4 deficit. It probably exposed the biggest deficiency that Michigan has: penalty killing. Michigan's overall defensive play was pretty strong all season, but took a nap against WMU- and once again the penalty killers gave up 3 PP goals. Every team suffers from injuries, but Michigan lost their 2nd leading goal scorer on a team that sometimes struggles to score one night, then blows up the next. They get scoring from three of their four lines, though- at least ten players had over ten points, with six with over 20 points. Their team speed is one of their biggest assets, but they are not a physical bunch nor are they overly big. The defense jumps into the offense frequently and was top five in the country in blue line points. They also did not have one of their top four defenders at the CCHA championships due to illness- and that did impact their coverage.
                                Michigan usually has better depth, but it was hit late this season by two players being removed from the team... then these injuries to Wohlberg (done for the year) and Caporusso who returned this past weekend. They only rotate two players out of the lineup now- one on defense and a 4th line forward.

Michigan will only advance in the tournament if they stay disciplined, minimize the neutral zone and defensive zone turnovers which killed them and scratch together some offense before their opponent can settle into the game. The goaltending is maligned with Shawn Hunwick- but don't be fooled. If he is on, he is really good. It will take a complete defensive effort to clear his big rebounds and cover for the fact that he has to come further out from his crease to cut angles.
                                The Wolverines are not a confident bunch right now, so they will definitely be in for a rough go if UNO jumps on them early. I imagine UNO will use their size as they did earlier this season. Michigan won't outskate them and may have to implement dump and chase instead of puck possession- in order to pressure their defense-Michigan is quicker than UNO's defense.

If Michigan gets by UNO and BC presumably beats CC, then BC will have a decided depth, offensive and goaltending advantage. It will take a perfect game to beat BC, even if Michigan can match their speed. I imagine they would want to exploit Michigan's defense as other good teams did this season- either in drawing calls or out skilling them in the defensive zone.

Comment

Working...
                                X