Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA West Regional - 3/25, 3/26 - BC, Michigan, UNO, CC

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
    If other schools are still allowed to host regionals at their home rink...then yes, we are being punished.

Also, I seem to recall making road trips to Bridgeport and Albany in recent history... .
    Someone please provide some info on this because I thought the NCAA was steering away from on-campus regional sites. I know Mariucci was the last one in 2009 (and Minnesota didn't even make the tournament).

Yes, and and the whole point of mgoblog saying to not go is to protest that choice.
    It comes across that you're angry at the NCAA when your issue is really with your own conference.

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    And you do realize who the CCHA Commish used to be, right? Then you would understand the decision by the CCHA to bid /host in St.Louis. This was one of the many gaffes he made. Maybe he thought the CCHA was going to accept UAH and thus widen the regional footprint.
    Just curious, are you saying this because you think he had an anti-Michigan bias or because he was simply incompetent?

Comment

Why is this relevant? North Dakota is out on the fringe of the college hockey footprint. They only have one viable host site nearby. Michigan is smack dab in the middle, with plenty of viable sites nearby. How much does Minnesota travel, on average?

It's not as much about things being close to Michigan, as things being within the CCHA footprint. I wouldn't care if they rotated in regionals in Columbus or upper Michigan (if a viable site existed). But when your conference hosts a regional, it shouldn't be in a location that's distant for every single member school.
      St. Louis is in the WCHA footprint?

I don't like holding regionals in far flung areas either. On the other hand, the NCAA has decided to try to do this to expand college hockey's base, and I think it's silly for Michigan fans to boycott it to show their distaste.

Even though Michigan is more centrally located in college hockey than UND, it's not like either school is on the east cost where everything is 2 hours drive away. The two western conferences have a lot of area to cover, and it seems to me the occasional NCAA trip Michigan is forced to take more than 2 hours from Yost is part of the price of playing college hockey, and playing in the West.

As for Minnesota, they've had to travel an average of 1037 miles to their regionals.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
        No it isn't.

That quote directly from the blog hardly says "protest the CCHA's choice."
        Technically it's a combination of the CCHA choosing to put in a bid there, and the committee for accepting it. But you wouldn't be hearing complaints (at least not the same complaints) if this were at Joe Louis, the Palace, Yost, Munn, Van Andel, K-wings stadium, Fort Wayne, United Center, Nationwide Arena, Schottenstein Center, Toledo, etc. Keeping in mind, most of these wouldn't just be good locations for Michigan (who wouldn't necesarily get placed there unless they were hosting, see 2009 where we got Bridgeport when Van Andel was a site), but also for Notre Dame, Miami, Michigan State, Western Michigan, Ohio State, Bowling Green, and Ferris State

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Just curious, are you saying this because you think he had an anti-Michigan bias or because he was simply incompetent?
          The latter. He didn't do enough to promote the other conference members and rode the media gravy train that Michigan and MSU provided, until recently that is. Believe it or not, there were some schools in the CCHA upset about UNO bolting and some of the reasons why directly related to how they perceived they were treated in comparison to Michigan and MSU.

I'm not sure what his personal stance was on the UAH debacle, but the P.R. was horrible. Then this whole thing, now, smack in the apex of the college hockey season. I can't blame him for allowing the BTC to steal the spotlight during the CCHA tournament, but it figures, especially when Miami claims their first ever conference tourney title.

I think that he missed the boat in a few areas, but it had nothing to do with how he personally feels about Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I am not feeling sorry for you. If you , as a Michigan fan, drove to every single regional (all 20 of them) that Michigan has played in (including this year) since 1992 you would have driven 14,164 miles (round trips).

UND has played just over 2/3 the number of regionals during that same span, yet we've had to drive 25,812 miles. That's an average round trip of 708 miles for Michigan versus 1844 for North Dakota. You guys have been on exactly two trips in 20 years that were at least 1844 miles, and that's our friggin' average trip.

Let's be blunt. Michigan fans were spoiled by about 10-12 straight years of playing within two hours drive of your campus. I would be too, but welcome to the real world of college hockey.
            Not a lot going on today up in North Dakota huh???

Comment

Originally posted by wooderson View Post
              Not a lot going on today up in North Dakota huh???
              Probably not a lot going on in North Dakota ever, but it doesn't change the fact that everything he is saying is right.
              BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
              National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
              Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
                Probably not a lot going on in North Dakota ever, but it doesn't change the fact that everything he is saying is right.
                The stats may be right, but the argument is still irrelevant. St. Louis is a horrible place for a regional no matter how far he drives every year.

Comment

Originally posted by wooderson View Post
                  The stats may be right, but the argument is still irrelevant. St. Louis is a horrible place for a regional no matter how far he drives every year.

+1

Comment

Just noticed that Comcast will carry the Michigan game live on it 'local' channel 900 The replay on ESPNU at 11:30 pm
                    He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

Originally posted by sqeyes View Post
                      Just noticed that Comcast will carry the Michigan game live on it 'local' channel 900 The replay on ESPNU at 11:30 pm
                      check out this thread for channel info on the "syndicated games"

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...are-syndicated

Comment

I find this whole complaining about the St Louis location amusing. Remember how far ahead regional bids are put in and approved. So if we look at the 2 teams in this regional that were in the CCHA at the time the bid was put in, St Louis is kind of in the middle (East/West at least, still South for both schools).

And, yes I'd rather stay in Michigan or drive under 4 hours to a regional, but that won't stop me from going. I do miss the good old days of regionals at Yost, but it hasn't prevented me from the drives to Albany, Bridgeport, Grand Forks. I did stay home from a regional in Denver (that was too far of a drive/expensive last minute plane ticket).
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G
                        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                        2 Alaskan

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                          I find this whole complaining about the St Louis location amusing. Remember how far ahead regional bids are put in and approved. So if we look at the 2 teams in this regional that were in the CCHA at the time the bid was put in, St Louis is kind of in the middle (East/West at least, still South for both schools).

And, yes I'd rather stay in Michigan or drive under 4 hours to a regional, but that won't stop me from going. I do miss the good old days of regionals at Yost, but it hasn't prevented me from the drives to Albany, Bridgeport, Grand Forks. I did stay home from a regional in Denver (that was too far of a drive/expensive last minute plane ticket).
                          I can't think of any period in time when a regional in St Louis would have been a good idea.

Comment

I can't think of any period in time when a regional in St Louis would have been a good idea.
                            Oh, I didn't mean to make it sound like I think a regional in St Louis is a good idea. Empty arena, here I come! I just wanted to point out that it was kind of near the CCHA footprint.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

Comment

tongue-in-cheek:is alaska in the ccha footprint? does that make Seattle "kind of " near the footprint?

Comment

What style of game should we expect from the Michigan-UNO game? In the nightcap, I think it's been established that we should expect both teams to want to skate and go on the attack, so it wouldn't surprise me to see a relatively high score for a tournament game. What's going to happen when Michigan and UNO butt heads?

And has anyone picked it up for syndication in New England? Not that I really care, I'll be able to stream it through ESPN3 on my Xbox (I highly recommend this for anyone with an xbox, the quality is good and the amount of events available is pretty impressive.)
                                BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                                -
                                Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Working...
                                X