UNH vs Miami - The Sipotz never sleeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH vs Miami - The Sipotz never sleeps

This match-up screams 2007, not that any players from those clubs currently remain. In one corner, you have a Miami team that is still in the hunt for a national title having watched it go right through their fingers, and in the other you have a perennially disappointing UNH squad looking for a little more post season success.

What i'd like to see UNH do is to assert their style of game, for lack of better words. You watch UNH agianst BC in 2007, Denver in 2005, Maine in 2002, and UNH seemed to play reactionary in each loss. Both clubs know each other, but I think Miami is going to take this one. Their best players are putting up points when it matters, and UNH is not. A hot goalie and a few goals are all one needs for an upset, but I just don't see UNH sneaking up on Miami.

On the bright side, this game is in manch. Should be a great showing!
    "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Re: UNH vs Miami - The Sipotz never sleeps

Miami is on a roll right now, 10-0-3 in our last 13 I believe. Hobey Miele, Camper, and Smith are firing on all cylinders, and it looks like Rico may be going with Reichard in the playoffs since he got both starts at the Joe this past weekend. Reich is 8-0-2 in his last 10 decisions. Offence aside (which Miami is #4 in the country), they also are bringing up the #3 defence, #2 Powerplay, and #2 PK.

It looks like, for once, we may finally be peaking at the right time of the year. Excited for Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
      Miami is on a roll right now, 10-0-3 in our last 13 I believe. Hobey Miele, Camper, and Smith are firing on all cylinders, and it looks like Rico may be going with Reichard in the playoffs since he got both starts at the Joe this past weekend. Reich is 8-0-2 in his last 10 decisions. Offence aside (which Miami is #4 in the country), they also are bringing up the #3 defence, #2 Powerplay, and #2 PK.

It looks like, for once, we may finally be peaking at the right time of the year. Excited for Saturday.

Wow.....sounds just like UNH. After securing a tournament entry at the end of December the team has been saving energy by doing just enough to stay a 4 seed at home in NH. It took some elaborate planning to get BC shipped out west. Who knew that losing games to ECAC schools in January was part of the master plan. At the time I didn't realize UNH was being kind to Merrimack fans by dropping 3 in a row to the Warriors to allow for them to be in a local regional.

Doing further analysis it is easy to see how UNH has not tried to take advantage when having a man advantage and in fact taken what appeared to be stupid penalties regularly in order to allow opponents more scoring chances.

Not sure if you would consider UNH to be peaking at the right time. Since Feb 11th the record is 4-5-2. I think the key to the game will be penalties. If Miami can stay in the box long enough there should be ample opportunities for them to score shorthanded goals. At least no worries of injury as UNH stopped hitting the opposing teams quite a while ago.

With Southwest's new service to Minneapolis/St Paul many UNH fans have already booked their tickets......of course that may be because of the no fee for flight changes. While I would love to see a UNH win, I think a more realistic hope will be for a competitive well played game. Difficult for many fans to remember where this team was predicted to finish.....this was supposed to be a rebuilding year.
      Please join me in the fight to reduce the world's supply of Bacardi.

Comment

Originally posted by SPCSMAN View Post
        Difficult for many fans to remember where this team was predicted to finish.....this was supposed to be a rebuilding year.
        Really? With the top three scorers being seniors and two of the top four defensemen expected gone after the season?
        "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Love the thread title.

Rematch of two high scoring games in Oxford waaaaay back in early October. The two teams are familiar having played four times over the past two seasons. I like how Miami is playing, but UNH is a great team. I like our chances, but playing up there in front your UNH's crowd will be tough. There won't be much red in the building. Miami fans just won't travel east for the regionals for some reason.

I'm looking at flights from Denver. Seems it's cheaper to fly into Boston than Manchester and just make the drive north. Hoping it works out.
          http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Miami has proven itself again in 2011 as a Top notch program- in '07- they were not on a lot of people's radar, except for those that watch. They continue to build an exciting program and play a style that is similar in nature to UNH- (speed & transition- w/ solid goaltending) I'd say that Miami may be a bit deeper, as some of their top scorers don't all play on the same lines- but aer also lead by a solid crew of Sr's. Like UNH.

Miami on paper may have the edge- however, UNH, on paper, had the edge in '07.

I'm going to pocket my own sarcasm(liked your post SPCSMAN)- I'm going to call for the upset!! Just to get under Barry Melrose' skin. UNH does have the talent and the D and the goaltending to win this bracket. Are they the best team- no, they aren't. I'd like to think Umile is pumping in a little Herb Brooks "gentlemen, you don't have enough talent to win on talent alone" mentality. To re-enact the Miracle in Manchester('09) and remind the team that terrific team efforts can and have beaten better teams- they'll need to have nothing short of that-
            On that note, IMO, I thought there was acatually a ton of effort by the team in Boston on Friday - maybe a bit sloppy at times, but they played w/ MC very nicely minus a few costly mental errors & abismal PP..(or maybe it was strategery to get BC shipped out west!)- With a few more accruate shots, and smoother transitions, UNH can take this bracket. It's open.

GO CATS!! GOOD LUCK.

4-2 'cats -
            Last edited by i'zonprize; 03-20-2011, 02:07 PM.
            GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
              Love the thread title.

Rematch of two high scoring games in Oxford waaaaay back in early October. The two teams are familiar having played four times over the past two seasons. I like how Miami is playing, but UNH is a great team. I like our chances, but playing up there in front your UNH's crowd will be tough. There won't be much red in the building. Miami fans just won't travel east for the regionals for some reason.

I'm looking at flights from Denver. Seems it's cheaper to fly into Boston than Manchester and just make the drive north. Hoping it works out.
              Definitely cheaper to fly into Boston from Denver. Once in Boston, hop on I-93 North and keep going. Its about an hour drive with no traffic. However, depending on the time of day you could hit a lot of traffic. I hope you make it out!

Comment

What was the thread earlier this year asking about D1 programs that deserve a NC title but haven't gotten there yet....Miami was first followed by UNH? 2 great programs, 2 awesome coaches will once again have the stage.....this will be a fun Saturday of hockey, with both games being pretty even...Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                  What was the thread earlier this year asking about D1 programs that deserve a NC title but haven't gotten there yet....Miami was first followed by UNH? 2 great programs, 2 awesome coaches will once again have the stage.....
                  With all due respect to Miami I'd put Clarkson above the Redhawks on that list, they have one of the highest win percentage among DI hockey programs, were the first DI program to reach 1,000 wins, 5 ECAC tournaments, 10 ECAC Regular Season titles, 20 NCAA appearances, 7 Frozen Fours, and 3 appearances in NCAA Championship games but still no NCAA title.
                  Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-20-2011, 09:00 PM.
                  "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                  Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                  NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                  EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                  AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                  1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Does Miami play the trap?
                    "A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone."
                    Larry David

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                      With all due respect to Miami I'd put Clarkson above the Redhawks on that list, they have one of the highest win percentage among DI hockey programs, were the first DI program to reach 1,000 wins, 5 ECAC tournaments, 10 ECAC Regular Season titles, 20 NCAA appearances, 7 Frozen Fours, and 3 appearances in NCAA Championship games but still no NCAA title.
                      I agree Clarkson should be ahead of us. I just think 2009 championship game is what most people remember Besides, this isn't really a list that any of us (miami and unh) want to stay on

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                        Definitely cheaper to fly into Boston from Denver. Once in Boston, hop on I-93 North and keep going. Its about an hour drive with no traffic. However, depending on the time of day you could hit a lot of traffic. I hope you make it out!
                        if you fly in on saturday you should be fine making this trip
                        “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                        Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                        Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                        National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
                          I agree Clarkson should be ahead of us. I just think 2009 championship game is what most people remember Besides, this isn't really a list that any of us (miami and unh) want to stay on
                          UNHs championship game in 1999 was similar, sans the come back and OT post. However, I hope that Marcus Gufstasson is bagging groceries right now

Yeah the drive up to manch is easy. I 93 is usually clear on saturdays, and manchester is pretty easy to navigate around.
                          "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by billb View Post
                            Does Miami play the trap?
                            Not really, but they do look for opportunities to turn you over regardless of the zone and move quickly into transition. With Cannone, Camper and Miele (all centers) usually carrying the puck into the offensive zone. Puck possession is a big deal and we typically won't play dump & chase unless there's no other option or we're nursing a lead.
                            http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                              Not really, but they do look for opportunities to turn you over regardless of the zone and move quickly into transition. With Cannone, Camper and Miele (all centers) usually carrying the puck into the offensive zone. Puck possession is a big deal and we typically won't play dump & chase unless there's no other option or we're nursing a lead.
                              UNH fan but have seen Miami a few times. My description of there style is, tough tight defense, physical, smart, discplined, and most of all puck possession. Miami doesn't seem to cause many face-offs if they don't have to, they don't ice it much, aren't offsides often etc. Miami generally doesn't seem to commit many dumb penalities either, they just don't seem to beat themselves.

As a fan I tended to like more up and down "fire wagon" hockey. I think there is more individual skill displayed in that game. Miami is generally not that style far more controlled.

Note: I am not sure there is a team out there that doesn't "trap" at some point in a game.
                              Last edited by JB; 03-21-2011, 03:45 PM.
                              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Working...
                              X