The official "My team got screwed" thread of the 2011 NCAA Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The official "My team got screwed" thread of the 2011 NCAA Tournament

I can't believe the NCAA didn't expand the tournament to ensure MN was included. Eastern bias.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Looking at this year's final PWR, the one change I would make is Dartmouth in for RPI. JMO.
      Meh, Dartmouth went 1-7-2 against Yale, Cornell, RPI, and Union, so I've got no beef with them being left out this year. They beat Yale or RPI at home, they're probably in the tournament; sadly I'm used to this.

I was way more ****ed off when they were left at home so UNO could go lose to BC 10-1 or something about 5 years ago. I know the math said that was what should've happened, but you'll never convince me that UNO was either the better or more deserving team that year. They simply rode their conference's coat tails into that bid.

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
        Um Dartmouth is out
        No ****, sherlock, but did you happen to notice the use of the word "both"?

God I hate idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          God I hate idiots.
          We hate you too.....oh......wait.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            I was way more ****ed off when they were left at home so UNO could go lose to BC 10-1 or something about 5 years ago. I know the math said that was what should've happened, but you'll never convince me that UNO was either the better or more deserving team that year. They simply rode their conference's coat tails into that bid.
            Ha, I believe it was actually 9-2 at the hands of BU, but then BC wiped the floor with BU the next night. Anyway, it's just why I think the last 1-2 slots should have a human element to them.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              Ha, I believe it was actually 9-2 at the hands of BU, but then BC wiped the floor with BU the next night. Anyway, it's just why I think the last 1-2 slots should have a human element to them.
              If you add a human element, then what's the point of the Bracketology posts? Also, there are fans on here that are highly accomplished mathematicians / computer scientists and would like to demonstrate their capabilities!

Comment

We're all getting screwed because the Big Ten is covering for their poor hockey season by making their announcement right after the tourney got unveiled to knock if off the front pages!
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  If you add a human element, then what's the point of the Bracketology posts? Also, there are fans on here that are highly accomplished mathematicians / computer scientists and would like to demonstrate their capabilities!
                  You could still have bracketology if the last two spots were up for grabs. In fact, it would make bracketology more interesting...

Comment

to me the whole beauty is that there is ZERO human element to qualifying for the tournament. Could the formula be tweaked or changed, sure, but asking people to make a subjective choice is not something I'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      We're all getting screwed because the Big Ten is covering for their poor hockey season by making their announcement right after the tourney got unveiled to knock if off the front pages!
                      I will be disappointed if the headline isn't something to the effect of "B1G News". Their logo is just begging to be used for headlines.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Colgate got screwed. Sure, they finished 12th in the ECAC, but they took out RPI and Union in the ECAC playoffs, and both of THOSE teams made the dance. IZ NOT FAAIAR!

Comment

I think they should just let everybody in. If the Big East can put ELEVEN teams in the BB tournament, hockey can put ALL (what is it, 58) of their teams in. We can have a big SUPER tournament with eight regionals and the Frozen Four in June.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            curious as to what the bracketology would have looked like had they not tweaked the TUC definition this season to include all rpis over .500

get on it, highly accomplished mathletes!

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                              curious as to what the bracketology would have looked like had they not tweaked the TUC definition this season to include all rpis over .500

get on it, highly accomplished mathletes!
                              Already posted it in the bracketology thread

Comment

Originally posted by supe View Post
                                to me the whole beauty is that there is ZERO human element to qualifying for the tournament. Could the formula be tweaked or changed, sure, but asking people to make a subjective choice is not something I'd like.
                                My beef with the system generally arises because of hockey's overly insular schedules: the numbers can be skewed by sheer conference strength such that the worst team in the best conference might appear to be better than the best team in a worse conference. I'm thinking back about 10 years or so where the WCHA would've put 7-8 teams into the tournament, including a sub-.500 team, if the NCAA didn't have a rule about requiring teams to be better than .500 to qualify. That year I think KRACH was even more skewed and would've sent 2 sub-.500 WCHA teams into the tourny.

So long as roughly 80% of the games are played intra-conference (including tournament games), such issues will arise under any mathematical system.

But then I've said for years I generally prefer the smoke-filled room using objective tools over the completely objective process where statistical oddities cannot be overriden by human brains. For all the *****ing and moaning about basketball's selection process, it generally gets it right.
                                Last edited by unofan; 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X