Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For ECAC Fans: Where Should Our Tournament Be Held?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: For ECAC Fans: Where Should Our Tournament Be Held?

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
    From best to worst -

1. Albany - probably the best centralized location, big arena

2. Lake Placid - great hockey town, historic arena with ample capacity (7500-ish). Has to be a way to solve the wide ice issue. Lots to do in/around town, but it's off the beaten path.

3. Glens Falls - One of my favorite venues to watch a hockey game. Depends on what happens with the HS tourney. Not the biggest arena, can only stretch to about 5500 with SRO. But easy to get to, close to other attractions like Lake George.

4. Syracuse - Would have to schedule around the Crunch, but arena can sit 6500 and six schools are within 3 hours.

5. Springfield - Not a bad location (2 hours or less for Union, RPI, QPac, Yale, Harvard, Brown) but the MAAC basketball tournament moved there and it hasn't been supported well. Arena holds 6500 for hockey.
    I haven't been to the Syracuse arena in years but when I was there for the old SIT, it was a dump. Glens Falls and Springfield are interesting ideas. I'd also throw Bridgeport into the mix. It's a bit of a haul from the NC but it's a new arena in a revitalized area of town and it's an arena that is looking for clients. You'd have to schedule around the Sound Tigers but that can be done (how long did we schedule around the Rats). Also, Bridgeport, while a drive from some schools is still relatively "central" and it's also close to the huge alumni contingents of almost all of the member schools called NYC.
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
    12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
      I haven't been to the Syracuse arena in years but when I was there for the old SIT, it was a dump. Glens Falls and Springfield are interesting ideas. I'd also throw Bridgeport into the mix. It's a bit of a haul from the NC but it's a new arena in a revitalized area of town and it's an arena that is looking for clients. You'd have to schedule around the Sound Tigers but that can be done (how long did we schedule around the Rats). Also, Bridgeport, while a drive from some schools is still relatively "central" and it's also close to the huge alumni contingents of almost all of the member schools called NYC.
      BPT Springfield HTF has my vote
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

In the past few years, Glens Falls has replaced all their old seats, put in a new sound system, and installed two video boards. It's likely that next season is the last year the AHL Phantoms are there (could be scheduled around anyway) and the future of the HS tourney is in doubt. That place could use the dates.

Bridgeport wouldn't top my list, but it isn't a bad idea... certainly better than AC. I don't know about the alumni angle, though. That hasn't worked out too well for AC.

Comment

How about Manchester, NH? New(ish) AHL arena ... relatively easy travel for everyone ... : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Wireless_Arena
          Go 'Gate!

High. Flat. Plane.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
            In the past few years, Glens Falls has replaced all their old seats, put in a new sound system, and installed two video boards. It's likely that next season is the last year the AHL Phantoms are there (could be scheduled around anyway) and the future of the HS tourney is in doubt. That place could use the dates.
            Im really starting to like the idea of having the tournament in Glens Falls and there definately wouldnt be a problem filling the place if any combo of Cornell, Clarkson, RPI or SLU make it either. Although, I have a feeling "The Dunk" in Providence will be the next facility to host the event, considering they tried pretty hard to get the league to leave AC this season. (I couldnt find the original link to the story from the Providence Journal.)

Comment

How far out of the way is Buffalo for you guys? Granted, you're running the risk of looking like the CCHA @ JLA on TV for those games, but if you're looking for marketing, at least Pegula has the right attitude toward college hockey right now with his giving PSU $88 million and getting involved in the discussions at UBuffalo when they momentarily discussed going to D1.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Eph72 View Post
                When I discovered that the games today are not being televised (and I would have to drive down to Atlantic City to see the finals) it reminded of this thread from last year.

Anybody have any new ideas about where the tournament should be held?

Any reports from Atlantic City?
                Televising the ECAC doesn't have much to do with this. You could put it in the top seed's rink, and we'd still be complaining. Quite frankly, if the league isn't going to work with the venue to advertise the heck out of an event that is supposed to be their cash cow for the year, then of course we're going to see ****poor attendance like we've seen the past 10 years. Even if you have to work indirectly with the host school and provide them some money (or commissioned financial incentive above the norm for each team) to work with the venue to do some advertising so you actually get butts in the seats. I mean, if the league can work logistics for a league schedule so far in advance, you'd think they'd be able to also do this.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                  How far out of the way is Buffalo for you guys? Granted, you're running the risk of looking like the CCHA @ JLA on TV for those games, but if you're looking for marketing, at least Pegula has the right attitude toward college hockey right now with his giving PSU $88 million and getting involved in the discussions at UBuffalo when they momentarily discussed going to D1.
                  The closest school is Cornell, and even then it's a couple hours away. However, I like your thinking in that you'd be working with someone that actually wants to promote hockey. I mean, how else does a school like RIT sell out a 10,000-capacity building for a non-conference game? We could sure use a lesson from these two examples and pony up some money for this effort. I realize it's tough to do because you almost need a guarantee for the ADs that it will be profitable, and there will be rooting interest for the local crowds (probably why in the CJHL playoffs the host team is automatically in, similar to how the World Cup works), not to mention affordable ticket prices (that's going to be tough for playoffs, as they typically jack it up to cover the guarantee).

Comment

I agree with everybody who says the main thing is to promote the games. In some respects it shouldn't matter where the tournament is located as long as its properly promoted, which includes generating local interest, alumni interest and, yes, a national tv contract. And as long as its not in AC, which really is a joke.

Albany is the most central location, but Albany itself is not much of a draw and is one of the smaller possible metro areas. Also, if we are only realistically going to draw 5 thousand max, the building is too big. But, all things considered, it may be the best choice.

I like the idea of Glens Falls, too. Its almost as central as Albany and has a smaller building (a good thing). I like the idea behind Buffalo, too (big hockey town and possible sincere interest in promotion), but its probably too far away for many fans.

I am sentimental about Lake Placid, and always enjoy going there. I do share the worry about the size of the sheet and its relative remoteness. I would note that Amherst and Oswego drew 3100 to the Herb Brooks rink yesterday for a D-3 semi-final game...(Based on photographs, I don't think there were nearly that many actual bodies in Atlantic City yesterday).

My personal favorite would be Bridgeport (because we live in Fairfield County). But Bridgeport may be problematic if they have an NCAA Regional a week later. An advantage of Bridgeport is the possibility of tapping into the large numbers of alumni who live in and around NY metro.

My second choice (for convenience reasons) would be Hartford although that's another huge building that looks empty with 5 thousand fans.

What do you guys think of holding the tournament in Quinnipiac's new building? Its a beautiful new building, its small enough to fill up and its just off the I-95 corridor and near NYC metro. The guys at Quinnipiac know how to promote, too. Just look at how they have grown both the school's athletics and academic profile over the last decade or so.

A couple of other ideas I've been thinking about include expanding the tournament to 5 or 6 to increase both fan interest and the number of games and synching up with the women's tournament (would double the number of teams and games). Both would expand the potential fan base (all from ECAC schools).
                    Last edited by Eph72; 03-17-2012, 07:58 AM.

Comment

A couple of other ideas I've been thinking about include expanding the tournament to 5 or 6 to increase both fan interest and the number of games and synching up with the women's tournament (would double the number of teams and games). Both would expand the potential fan base (all from ECAC schools).
                      When the tourney was in Lake Placid for a few years they did have a play in game on the Thursday of the weekend. Got rid of it (did not draw much more) and went to the current format.
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                        You're partially right that the teams matter. I don't at all understand why Union (despite it's President's musings) as a pretty decent sports school, doesn't travel well. Princeton can't even sell out a home game at Hobey Baker unless it's against Yale.

I posted this on the CCT threads earlier. I was in AC on Wednesday and I saw a huge billboard on the Expressway coming into AC that was half devoted to the A10 finals and half the ECAC Championships. I thought to myself, "Self, they're actually marketing this thing." Then I proceeded into AC and could not find one person or venue besides the box office that knew anything about any college hockey games coming to AC. In fact, I found a gal wearing a Union shirt and she didn't even know that UC was in a hockey tournament, much less that it was going to be right there in AC.
                        Easily the biggest laugh I've had on here! And that's a Union fan for you

If we're considering AC or Boston, why not head west and consider Rochester? Can you do some research, Eph? Seems like a decent city. Hate the idea of driving south for ice hockey (my apologies to defunct Alabama-Huntsville). The fact that it's in Jersey is not a draw for me.

Like the idea of Boston - it's a true, hockey town and could even get some HE supporters to come and watch. Nothing beats the magic of Lake Placid. Always went to Albany and hated the atmosphere, but I was there to watch my team...plain and simple...and Albany was practical and affordable...plain and simple. Can't have everything...and this year that apparently includes a tv contract.
                        C O L G A T E
                        2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                        1990 NCAA FINALS
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                        ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                        ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

When I heard the tournament was leaving Albany, I was hoping for Newark at The Rock. It's not MSG, but it's an NHL arena and it's close enough to New York City. Has anyone been there? You would think Lou would help out college hockey and the arena coulduse another event. Plus I bet Newark would do a better job of promoting it.

Complete this statement when talking to your wife/significant other....

Well, _____ has advanced to the ECAC Championship Weekend. Let's go to _______ next weekend and see the games.

I think the only locations that would fill that statement are New York and Boston. I'm sure the league wouldn't be able to get MSG, so I think Newark would be the next best location around NYC. If not that, go back to Boston even if they had to play the semifinals on Thursday and the championship game earlier on Saturday. There's plenty of fanatics like myself who would probably go to both tournaments.

Comment

I like the idea of Glens Falls, too. Its almost as central as Albany and has a smaller building (a good thing).
                            For what its worth, something else the GFCC has to offer is a 7000 sqft catered banquet hall located under the same roof. I believe it divides up into six different sections, which would be perfect for team/fan get togethers before, after and in between games, something I missed when the tournament left LP. Perhaps the league could also get a deal with discounted room rates at Six Flags Great Escape Lodge just 10 minutes away, which would be fun for families.

As for bringing in another team to the finals, personally im all for it. Id like to see the league return to the old playoff format with the 4-5 play-in game on Thursday, I think it adds a little more meaning to regular season games when only 10/12 teams qualify for the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Colgate Fan View Post
                              When I heard the tournament was leaving Albany, I was hoping for Newark at The Rock. It's not MSG, but it's an NHL arena and it's close enough to New York City. Has anyone been there? You would think Lou would help out college hockey and the arena coulduse another event. Plus I bet Newark would do a better job of promoting it.

Complete this statement when talking to your wife/significant other....

Well, _____ has advanced to the ECAC Championship Weekend. Let's go to _______ next weekend and see the games.

I think the only locations that would fill that statement are New York and Boston. I'm sure the league wouldn't be able to get MSG, so I think Newark would be the next best location around NYC. If not that, go back to Boston even if they had to play the semifinals on Thursday and the championship game earlier on Saturday. There's plenty of fanatics like myself who would probably go to both tournaments.
                              The only real reason for any sane person to go to Newark is to use the airport.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Doesn't Atlantic Hockey use the Blue Cross Arena in Rochester for their tourney?

Comment

Working...
                                X