Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
    Saproni
    is this a form of pasta?
    time to write new history

Comment

So where do we go from here now that Cronin says he's staying?
      Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
        So where do we go from here now that Cronin says he's staying?
        We can always start by forming lines and D pairs.

How about:

LW Gaudreau

C Mclaughlin

RW Saponari
        -----------------------
        LW Tuckerman

C Pimm

RW Quailer
        -----------------------

LW Dongara

C Ferriero

RW Veermeersch
        ------------------------
        LW Vrolyk

C Kovacs

RW J Daniels (if he can learn to muck a bit)
        ------------------------

Spares: Stone, Morra, Karlsson, Reid, walkon?

I usually get one line right and 2/3 on one or two others. It's fun to guess.

On the Defensive side, I suspect Haar will be the most advanced freshman and likely to
        start as a freshman. I'm starting to think that Ryan Renz could use another year at Vernon, where he'll be a major impact guy and get good coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
          snip
          Gaudreau-J. Daniels-Saponari
          Tuckerman-Ferriero-Quailer
          Dongara-McLaughlin-Vermeesch
          Vrolyk-Kovacs-Reid/Karlsson

I think Justin Daniels comes back better and back to his form in the latter half of 09-10. I'd like to see Quailer paired up with Ferriero and Tuckerman, he's played well with both of them. I can't see Stone and Morra getting any time unless there's a lot of injuries. Reid and Karlsson sound like grinders so I'm guessing they're more or less interchangeable.

Bitetto-Eibler
          Oleksiak-Haar
          D. Daniels-Renz/Ellement

It's a no-brainer to keep Eibler and Bitetto together, those 2 played great together. Haar looks like he'll be a draft pick and sounds ready, so him and Oleksiak would be a solid matchup. Drew Daniels was solid on D last year, and added some offense, and I think he could be paired up with Renz or Ellement, depending on how Renz looks.

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
            Gaudreau-J. Daniels-Saponari
            Tuckerman-Ferriero-Quailer
            Dongara-McLaughlin-Vermeesch
            Vrolyk-Kovacs-Reid/Karlsson

I think Justin Daniels comes back better and back to his form in the latter half of 09-10. I'd like to see Quailer paired up with Ferriero and Tuckerman, he's played well with both of them. I can't see Stone and Morra getting any time unless there's a lot of injuries. Reid and Karlsson sound like grinders so I'm guessing they're more or less interchangeable.

Bitetto-Eibler
            Oleksiak-Haar
            D. Daniels-Renz/Ellement

It's a no-brainer to keep Eibler and Bitetto together, those 2 played great together. Haar looks like he'll be a draft pick and sounds ready, so him and Oleksiak would be a solid matchup. Drew Daniels was solid on D last year, and added some offense, and I think he could be paired up with Renz or Ellement, depending on how Renz looks.
            I think you have some very good ideas. I especially like your second line. It might be called the "'Tude Line". Each guy plays with an edge.

I wish I had as much faith in JDaniels as you do. He plays with zero edge. He's too polite on the ice. I wouldn't be surprised if he held the bench door open for his teammates. Realistically, he has to be more productive this year. His "Sophomore Slump" was epic. He is much better than he showed.

I can understand your wanting to pair D Daniels with Renz, but I would be reluctant to do so, because DDan is really little more than a rookie D who made up for many mistakes with his forward's speed. Also, Renz was a very offensive D as a 16 year old with Port Alberni last year. This year with Vernon, he was asked to be the stay at home guy. I really don't know what his game is, but the Vernon people seem to think that he'll be with them next year. This is yet to be determined.

Comment

I agree on Daniels, there's a decent chance he could flop, and if he does, we have a number of people capable of playing Center. Renz spending another year in Vernon wouldn't be bad, we have a number of D-men already and either him or Ellement would get squeezed out of a spot if he comes.

Comment

No mention of a defensemen named Oskroba....who played for Lincoln this season, is a big kid and a 1990 birth year.(No Junior time left) Heisenberg's list has him coming in this year. Remember Harr is a 1993 year....can 'season' in the USHL another year. And if drafted....who knows where he'll go...OHL maybe? Some of these early draft kids get pushed unfortunately in not necessarily the best direction by the drafting pro team. And is Olesiak solid...if he is a first round draft pick? Same thing....one can only hope!

As for the line combinations....way too early to make any even reasonable guesses. Gaudreau although having a great USHL season, is very small. Saponari will be good if he doesn't revert to the behavioral problems at BU...and I really DO BELIEVE he has learned from the experience. Don't know much about Renz and Reid. The real surprise may be Kovacs....top ten in USHL scoring, top ten in USHL assists , led the league in shoot-out goals, and didn't play center which is his natural position but was probably over 70% in face-offs when used in important situations...at least according to people in Cedar Rapids. Only saw him play live once this year...but have been following Cedar Rapids for two years now.
                Last edited by canada1; 05-14-2011, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by canada1 View Post
                  No mention of a defensemen named Oskroba....who played for Lincoln this season, is a big kid and a 1990 birth year.(No Junior time left) Heisenberg's list has him coming in this year. Remember Harr is a 1993 year....can 'season' in the USHL another year. And if drafted....who knows where he'll go...OHL maybe? Some of these early draft kids get pushed unfortunately in not necessarily the best direction by the drafting pro team. And is Olesiak solid...if he is a first round draft pick? Same thing....one can only hope!

As for the line combinations....way too early to make any even reasonable guesses. Gaudreau although having a great USHL season, is very small. Saponari will be good if he doesn't revert to the behavioral problems at BU...and I really DO BELIEVE he has learned from the experience. Don't know much about Renz and Reid. The real surprise may be Kovacs....top ten in USHL scoring, top ten in USHL assists , led the league in shoot-out goals, and didn't play center which is his natural position but was probably over 70% in face-offs when used in important situations...at least according to people in Cedar Rapids. Only saw him play live once this year...but have been following Cedar Rapids for two years now.
                  Oskroba doesn't impress me, he only came into the USHL his last year of eligibility, put up a decent amount of points, but nothing impressive. Haar has been mentioned as a top ten prospect in the USHL, and most likely is going to be drafted. Haar was drafted by the WHL 3 years ago at this point, if he was going to jump to Major Junior it probably would have happened already. I see Gaudreau and Saponari together, their line was mentioned as arguably the best in the USHL this season, so it makes sense to keep them together. Kovacs looks good, especially as a center, I'm guessing we'll see him contributing immediately.

Comment

One of the best combinations is a line of Cody Ferriero, Rob Dongara, and, Vinny Saponari. Not sure if it will be the best line, but based on their DNA it should be the most intelligent line. Just call this line the “Pasta” line.

Comment

• Re: Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

USHL SECOND TEAM ALL STARS
                      Vinny Saponari (F), Dubuque Fighting Saints
                      Playing in his first USHL season, the forward was sixth in League scoring with 64 points (18g, 46a) in 56 games while also posting a plus-17 rating. His 46 assists were the third most in the USHL and his 19 power play assists also tied for third overall. The native of Powder Springs, Georgia set a League season high with 12 shots vs. Lincoln on January 22nd. Saponari was selected by the Atlanta Thrashers in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. He is committed to play collegiate hockey next season at Northeastern University.
                      John Gaudreau (F), Dubuque Fighting Saints
                      The 2010-11 USHL Rookie of the Year was second in the USHL this season with 36 goals and finished fourth overall in scoring with 72 points (36g, 36a) while playing all 60 regular season games. He led the League with 15 power play goals and also tallied seven game-winning goals. The 17-year-old from Carneys Point, New Jersey had the best shooting percentage in the League (.234) and scored a goal on his first shot during his USHL debut. Gaudreau will attend Northeastern University following his USHL career

Comment

Good to hear. I know he's small but we need pure scorers bad with the loss of our top 4.
                        Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Gaudreau.. Saponari.. article from a couple weeks back..

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/20...onnections.php
                          GO NU HOCKEY
                          Always bullish on the future.
                          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Is there any question that Gaudreau is coming next year? The article states he might come next year even though he's committed for 2012...

I'm going to guess with Vinny departing for NU... Gaudreau will follow suit
                            2004-2005 D-II/III Last Person Standing Co-Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Stompey5 View Post
                              Is there any question that Gaudreau is coming next year? The article states he might come next year even though he's committed for 2012...

I'm going to guess with Vinny departing for NU... Gaudreau will follow suit
                              There's no official word, Heisenberg's site has him coming in next year and it makes sense he'd come in with Saponari, but we won't know until Northeastern announces the roster for next year.

Comment

He should be, if he is he would have signed his LOI by now, which I believe he did per the insiders on DHD.
                                Arenas Attended
                                Matthews Arena
                                Agganis Arena
                                Tsongas Arena
                                Lawler Arena
                                Schneider Arena
                                Mullins Center
                                TD Banknorth Garden
                                Conte Forum
                                Whittemore Center
                                Gutterson Fieldhouse
                                Alfond Arena