Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

My favorite summer thread! Hands down, keep it up boys.

Good luck with the search, change can sometimes be a good thing.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
      Only 90 %, eh? Does that mean that there is only a 1 in 10 chance that you'll support a team that you've rooted for all these years? Go ahead. Don't renew. Just don't keep whining - especially if the team has home ice in the playoffs or you can't get the seats that you're use to having for the Beanpot.
      With fans like you, who needs detractors. Go buy season tickets for bu. You can sell off your seats to our games to real fans.

Before you go,you should understand a few things: While I'm certainly not a big Roby fan, he doesn't deserve the blame you have laid at his feet. First of all, Cronin left very late in the hiring season. Most head coaches are either canned at the end of the season or announce their retirement prior to the end. He knew very well what the consequences would probably be. Certainly Cronin was aware that he had either neglected or hadn't insisted on LOIs from several recruits including Mr. Haar, who he personally scouted and recruited two years ago. Was he being vindictive? You'll have to ask him.

He also knew how long it would take to replace him due to the University's Equal Opportunity employment policy. This policy insures that every conceiveable minority has an opportunity to apply for an open position. This takes about a month before the final interviews can take place.We have just finished those interviews. Someone will get an offer on Monday followed by some negotiations, legal reviews etc. WE should we able to announce by Monday 8/1 - roughly 45 days since the resignation. Unil the U. recognizes that Athletics staffing has different requirements and smaller potential applicant pools than most other poisitions at an educational institution, we will continue to require to take at least twice the time that our competitors require to fill coaching postions.

Now how is that Roby's fault? If you say that Cro and Roby didn't get along, You should know that neither man is a candidate for "Mr. Congeniality" when his authority is challenged. The Suspension that Roby laid on Cro and Albie seemed a bit draconian considering the alleged infraction, but apparently Roby was try to protect the U. by getting ahead of the NCAA via a self policing action. I'm sure Cro was angered and embarrassed. However, if he knew that he had done the deed, which he never denied, then who was to blame?

I'm getting very tired of Cronin being cannonized by certain posters for his recruiting skills and "for all that he accomplished" with the Northeastern Hockey Program. It was left to him in dreadful shape. He got the job only after several others had turned their up their noses up it after getting a whiff. He never won a beanpot. He got home ice once and followed up with a 9th place finish. He got to the Garden twice, but never reached the finals and his teams never won a really big game against a higher rated team until they knocked bu out in March, 2011. His "terrific recruits" came here, but they would only run up to the wall for him - they wouldn't run through it. Why do you suppose that was??

It's simply too early to let your season tickets lapse - The applications haven't been sent out yet!

I am just so sick of getting kicked in balls by this team, everytime they make progress they take another step back. They are losing players cause it has taken soo long to fill the vacany. OK I know the school has a policy on minororities, it says that the process needs to go on for 45 days?? No way! I will never support another college team, especially BU I hate them more than Roby.

They have not won anything in Cronin's era, or Crowder, or Smith, or McKenney, they won 1 HE and 4 beanpots with Fernie. Do we realize that is ancient history, we are goingback 25 years now. I firmly believe that Cronin was on the step of winning something, you can't deny that they type of hocket player on the last couple of years teams is different than we saw with Crowder. They were getting some talented players in here, not grinders who we hoped someday would be better.

I have been supporting this team for 30 years, been to 26 consecutive beanpots seen 1 title, I have right to be ****ed about this, ya I probably will renew cause I want to support them, but **** do they make it hard!
      Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

..yeah, and you would look just ridiculous in a Superfan T-shirt as well..
        Welcome back Steve!
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
          I have been supporting this team for 30 years, been to 26 consecutive beanpots seen 1 title, I have right to be ****ed about this, ya I probably will renew cause I want to support them, but **** do they make it hard!
          Um...a select few of us have been around even longer than that and haven't burned our season tix. (However. standing in front of a train was considered a few times, most recently after the Grand Rapids fiasco a couple of years ago.)

Hang in there, bro.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Skip Berry, head of Tri-City Storm's media relations, is saying on Twitter that Madigan got the position, and will likely be made official this week.

http://twitter.com/#!/SkipBerryHocke...33705295474688

http://twitter.com/#!/SkipBerryHocke...34706819776512

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
              Skip Berry, head of Tri-City Storm's media relations, is saying on Twitter that Madigan got the position, and will likely be made official this week.
              No surprise.

Comment

Another NU Alum.. (hopefully LaPlante will be part of his team as well).
                Regardless.. awesome if true!
                GO NU HOCKEY
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...me_madigan.php
                  GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

I still hate roby, but this is a good hire. I do personally know him and he is a great guy!
                    Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

Really strange hire!..And Steve66, he may be a great guy....but great guys usually don't make the best head coachs....s.o.b.'s and tougher than nails a**holes do! And if the math is right, he hasn't coached in 18 years and then never as a head coach. Must make Sebastien feel very "second-class" and wouldn't be surprized if he moved on. And who knows about Gaudreau and even Saponari....certainly not the experienced coach they would have expected...certainly a "non-coach" coach they may have real difficulty building their future careers on. I wouldn't be real surprized that many of the returning players also are thinking "what's going on here." If you are going to experiment and give a guy a "chance"...it should have been LaPlante!!!

I wish him well, of course! But Roby probably saved a ton of money that he can use in his women's programs...hope I'm wrong but feel a little sorry for the great NU fans....could be an awful year[s]!

Comment

Originally posted by canada1 View Post
                        ... Must make Sebastien feel very "second-class" and wouldn't be surprized if he moved on. And who knows about Gaudreau and even Saponari....
                        canada1 - On another note, any word on where Justin Kovacs (http://warriorrinkrat.com/2011/07/02...other-recruit/) will play next season? I noticed that Western Michigan hired a head coach with extensive NHL coaching experience (http://warriorrinkrat.com/2011/07/25...h-andy-murray/). Could Kovacs be playing in Kalamazoo this fall?
                        Thanks for any info you can share.
                        Last edited by C-H-C; 07-25-2011, 07:44 PM.
                        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Sometimes the seemingly strange hires turn out to be genius hires. Although I thought we might wind up with someone like a Ron Rolston or Dave Quinn, I'm actually OK with Madigan for the following reasons:

1) He was part and parcel of the glory years. He was a big contributor on teams that won two Beanpots and went to a Final Four. I have a feeling that he still knows how to get there.
                          2) He played with a certain edge. The Mad Dog nickname stuck for a reason. I'm thinking some of that edge will find its way into the way his teams will play.
                          3) He's no stranger in NHL circles, knows what it takes to make it to that level, and has had a hand in moving top prospects along.
                          4) He knows how to close deals. It is said that he could sell popsicles to eskimos. This should serve him well in the recruiting wars.
                          5) He's been successful at everything he has become involved with and coaching will likely be no exception.

Time will tell. I wish him well and am definitely in his corner.

Comment

C-H-C, just as soon as I know...and am allowed to....I will pass it on concerning Justin Kovacs. And "wow" it seems they landed one heck of a coach at Western....even if he is 60 years old. It seems that Western now wants to really build and put some money into their program. Appears they are willing to pay their HC as high a base salary as $275,000.! They sure went after someone prominent in the hockey world. I mean a year ago he was coaching the St.Louis Blues for Heaven's sake. I bet his young players are excited about a Coach with good NHL credentials...and connections.

Strange things DO happen. A junior development coach, Ron Rolston, is now an AHL head coach. An NHL coach, Andy Murray, is now a college head coach....really strange doings!

Comment

While I don't think Madigan is the best hire out of everybody in the hockey universe, I think out of the five that were interviewed, the combination of Madigan/LaPlante is the best option and I'm willing to give it a chance. Despite Madigan's perceived weaknesses, I'm willing to accept giving the reigns to a pair of Huskies that bleed red and black and see what they can make happen. Hopefully, it is harmonious music to the tune of winning!!

Also, any word on a new assistant coach or potential candidates?

Comment

Originally posted by canada1 View Post
                                C-H-C, just as soon as I know...and am allowed to....I will pass it on concerning Justin Kovacs. And "wow" it seems they landed one heck of a coach at Western....even if he is 60 years old. It seems that Western now wants to really build and put some money into their program. Appears they are willing to pay their HC as high a base salary as $275,000.! They sure went after someone prominent in the hockey world. I mean a year ago he was coaching the St.Louis Blues for Heaven's sake. I bet his young players are excited about a Coach with good NHL credentials...and connections.

Strange things DO happen. A junior development coach, Ron Rolston, is now an AHL head coach. An NHL coach, Andy Murray, is now a college head coach....really strange doings!
                                Thanks for the update, canada1.
                                It certainly has been an eventful and entertaining summer in college hockey.
                                If there's a trend (and I'm not sure there is), it seems that college programs are trying to attract coaches with extensive connections and/or experience with the NHL (e.g., Murray at WMU; Madigan at NU). Recruits - whether they show up on the Central Scouting Service's radar or not - want to play professional hockey. Many will be attracted to colleges who have sent players on to the pros and/or have coaches with NHL ties. I think it's one of the reasons Coach Cronin attracted some talented players to NU (e.g., John Gaudreau lit it up at the just completed Senior Chowder Cup). Madigan's resume as an NHL scout will probably be attractive to some talented juniors.
                                Last edited by C-H-C; 07-25-2011, 09:56 PM.
                                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X