RPI 2010-2011 VI- Red Dead Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 VI- Red Dead Redemption

One thing that I wanted to add (and sorry if it has been mentioned before) is that Seth Appert was on the DU bench in 2004. That season, Denver lost in the First Round of the WCHA Tournament, crept into the NCAA Tournament, and then got on fire and won it all. I'm not saying that RPI is going to win it all this year (they very well could), but Appert definitely has experience with this particular situation that his team is in. I think RPI will come out strong and give UND everything that they can handle.

Also, watching how UND has handled itself over the past few weekends, I don't think they will be overlooking anyone this year. Expect North Dakota to be as strong as advertised. Saying that, you still owe us from '84, so I just hope we don't get stonewalled by a great goaltending performance. Jon Casey isn't your goalie, correct?
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      Saying that, you still owe us from '84, so I just hope we don't get stonewalled by a great goaltending performance. Jon Casey isn't your goalie, correct?
      No, but Allen York has been known to steal games against #1 teams.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

• Fly. Do we know when tickets go on sale in Troy?
        Originally posted by Section 22 View Post
        how do we get to green bay?
        think we could get enough people to get a bus?
        Last edited by rvd5star69; 03-20-2011, 09:38 PM.
        I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

If the past is any indication, there will be a HUGE fan turnout for UND

Comment

Originally posted by DavidSec17 View Post
            Found this interesting as well. Think coach will have a conversation this week with Gwoz about Denver's most hated rival?
            Why is Appert asking Gwoz about CC?
            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
              Would you stop doing that? It's Burgdoerfer. That's how he spells it. I presume that's how his family spells it.
              For once, I have to agree with you. Although likely, it isn't even clear that his family once spelled the name with an umlaut. My family did not spell Baer as Bär in the 20th and late 19th century in Germany. As proof on the bottom of this page http://cgi.ebay.de/Reklamemarke-Fran...-/320637813909 is an advertising stamp for my great-grandfather's and grandfather's business.
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-21-2011, 12:51 AM. Reason: speeling
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Ed Weaver story about RPI's selection http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  For once, I have to agree with you. Although likely, it isn't even clear that his family once spelled the name with an umlaut. My family did not spell Baer as Bär in the 20th and late 19th century in Germany. As proof on the bottom of this page http://cgi.ebay.de/Reklamemarke-Fran...-/320637813909 is an advertising stamp for my great-grandfather's and grandfather's business.
                  Let me help everyone out with the umlaut situation.

The replacement of ä, ö and ü with ae, oe and ue are for situations where one can not actually make an umlaut, particularly with typewriters (if they still exist) and some computer applications. It does not mean they are identical. More importantly, one can not assume that when seeing a German word with ae, oe or ue that one can back-transcribe it to ä, ö and ü. The back-transcription can only occur if the original word was spelled that way! There are words with these combinations (for example, Sauerkraut) which can not use an umlaut because the u and e are part of different syllables. Everything starting with Que as well. Then there are some words that just don't use an umlaut for historic reasons.

With personal names, it is possible for some people to use an umlaut and others not. Krueger and Krüger are pronounced the same and would both be typed Krueger if one can not use umlauts, but it would be incorrect to write by hand Krüger if a person's name was really Krueger. It would be equivalent to using Curt as my first name. Same pronunciation, different spelling, so wrong.

Bottom line: If Burgdoerfer is the family's name, then to write Burgdörfer is incorrect.
                  Last edited by kurt stutt; 03-21-2011, 02:24 AM.

Comment

For once, I have to agree with you.
                    For once? WTH?

Comment

What do u think the North Dakota people are saying when they read our page
                      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                        What do u think the North Dakota people are saying when they read our page
                        Read?

Comment

For once? WTH?
                          Read?
                          Twice.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by kurt stutt View Post
                            Let me help everyone out with the umlaut situation.

The replacement of ä, ö and ü with ae, oe and ue are for situations where one can not actually make an umlaut, particularly with typewriters (if they still exist) and some computer applications. It does not mean they are identical. More importantly, one can not assume that when seeing a German word with ae, oe or ue that one can back-transcribe it to ä, ö and ü. The back-transcription can only occur if the original word was spelled that way! There are words with these combinations (for example, Sauerkraut) which can not use an umlaut because the u and e are part of different syllables. Everything starting with Que as well. Then there are some words that just don't use an umlaut for historic reasons.

With personal names, it is possible for some people to use an umlaut and others not. Krueger and Krüger are pronounced the same and would both be typed Krueger if one can not use umlauts, but it would be incorrect to write by hand Krüger if a person's name was really Krueger. It would be equivalent to using Curt as my first name. Same pronunciation, different spelling, so wrong.

Bottom line: If Burgdoerfer is the family's name, then to write Burgdörfer is incorrect.
                            I'll add that my family name was spelled many different ways between 1809, when Jews living in Baden were required to adopt family names, and the 1870's when things seem to have settled down. Besides for Baer and Bär, this includes Behr, Bäär, Beer, and Böhr, not to mention three different ways using Hebrew characters. Clearly, I have inherited the trait of random spellings in my posts.

Sorry for going completely off topic.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I'll add that my family name was spelled many different ways between 1809, when Jews living in Baden were required to adopt family names, and the 1870's when things seem to have settled down. Besides for Baer and Bär, this includes Behr, Bäär, Beer, and Böhr, not to mention three different ways using Hebrew characters. Clearly, I have inherited the trait of random spellings in my posts.

Sorry for going completely off topic.
                              This is starting to get Böhr-ing! Can we move on to when and where the esset is appropriate?

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                                This is starting to get Böhr-ing! Can we move on to when and where the esset is appropriate?
                                So, how bout dem RPI-UND game? Regardless of the name spelling of anyone, I certainly hope that practices will be going very well for the next few days.

Comment

Working...
                                X