Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CCHA and WCHA should combine when BIg Ten forms???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CCHA and WCHA should combine when BIg Ten forms???

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Uh, you do know that NMU was offered a spot in the WCHA before UNO did, right?

It was BSU + whoever they could poach. NMU was asked to "come home" to the WCHA, which was declined by the Athletic Director at NMU. UNO was next on the list (due to Blais).
    And next on the list was UAF. It was inevitable that the CCHA was gonna lose someone in that whole situation.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

davyd83: I guess I went a little overboard with the "Hellbent" comment. At the time, I respected that the decision was made to save finances and remain where we were.

I guess my frustration is that it seemed like the whole Penn State issue was known when the decision was made, and looking back, I just hope that the right decision was made then. I guess I'm more worried about the Anti-Big10.

I still think the CCHA and NMU will be okay as long as realignment doesn't happen.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

How about picking up a couple additional teams to make 2-10 team conferences and moving a few around? If you did it geographically it might look like:
        New CCHA
        SC Ohio Miami
        Central Mich. Western Michigan
        Northern Minn. Minnesota- Duluth
        Central Mich. Ferris State
        Northern Minn. Bemidji State
        Erie, PA Mercyhurst
        U.P. of Michigan LSSU
        U.P. of Michigan Northern Michigan
        NW Ohio BGSU
        U.P. of Michigan Michigan Tech

New WCHA
        North Dakota North Dakota
        Colorado Denver
        Indiana Notre Dame
        Colorado Air Force
        Nebrasaka Nebraska-Omaha
        Colorado Colorado College
        Alaska Alaska
        Alaska Alaska-Anchorage
        Minnesota St. Cloud State
        Minnesota Minnesota State
        Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by yooper(UP) hockey View Post
          The CCHA and WCHA should combine to save small school hockey

Call the new league (WCHA Super Confrence)

West Division
          Alaska Ankorage
          Alaska Fairbanks
          Denver Pioneers
          CC Tigers
          North Dokata
          Bemdji
          St Cloud
          UNO
          Mankato
          UMD Bulldogs

East Division
          MTU Huskies
          LSSU Lakers
          NMU Wildcats
          Ferris state
          Bowling Green
          Miami Ohio
          Notre Dame
          Western Michigan

Small schools have to stick together to survive and also college hockey needs to keep rivals playing each other in the WCHA.

The league games could be played in the tier that your in.

The CCHA will not survive without the big schools.

Notre Dame and Miami will leave the CCHA soon.....

The WCHA will save the CCHA.
          That's an idea...
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

No one has yet been able to answer the question, "Why would the two leagues combine and lose an automatic NCAA bid in the process?" What is accomplished by that? How does it benefit member institutions?
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by yooper(UP) hockey View Post
              They will leave when the Big Ten forms. Notre Dame was already in the WCHA.
              When Notre Dame was in the WCHA, they also had Michigan and Michigan State in the WCHA. If they were to move back to the WCHA, they would either have to fly to all road trips, or everything would be a two day bus trip since there would be no trips under 510 miles. That would result in several more days of missed class time. Only so many days per semester are allowed. There is also an NCAA rule that mandates that you cannot leave more than 48 hours before the first contest. So if you have a Friday game that starts at 7:37 CT in Bemidji, that means you cannot leave South Bend before 8:37 pm Wednesday. Please do the budgeting and logistics and get back to us on that.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Would the MAC alliance hold if the Big 10 were to try to recruit both Notre Dame and Miami?

Comment

Originally posted by bigfatcat999 View Post
                  Would the MAC alliance hold if the Big 10 were to try to recruit both Notre Dame and Miami?
                  The Big Ten won't try to recruit Notre Dame and Miami. They will not have any hockey only members. They would have to join as full conference members. Notre Dame would interest the Big Ten. Miami would not.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    I still think the CCHA and NMU will be okay as long as realignment doesn't happen.
                    Not to go all doomsday and everything. But I don't know that Miami and Notre Dame can carry the CCHA (with little interest in the highly populated MI areas). If Miami has a few off recruiting years, they could become just another small program in a hurry. But as stated elsewhere, the question about whether CCHAs fate is locked is tied to whether Notre Dame jumps to Hockey East.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      Not to go all doomsday and everything. But I don't know that Miami and Notre Dame can carry the CCHA (with little interest in the highly populated MI areas). If Miami has a few off recruiting years, they could become just another small program in a hurry. But as stated elsewhere, the question about whether CCHAs fate is locked is tied to whether Notre Dame jumps to Hockey East.
                      And so you think the membership of Hockey East is ready to have their teams flying to Notre Dame every year? Do you think Notre Dame is ready to add $100,000 to their travel budget for hockey? Will Merrimack, Northeastern, Vermont, UMass, UMass-Lowell, Providence, Maine and New Hampshire be big draws at the new arena in South Bend? Big enough to offset that expense? Why Hockey East? Notre Dame plays everything but football in the BIG East, but only one Big East school has hockey (UConn), but they are part of Atlantic Hockey.
                      Last edited by davyd83; 03-28-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        And so you think the membership of Hockey East is ready to have their teams flying to Notre Dame every year? Do you think Notre Dame is ready to add $100,000 to their travel budget for hockey? Will Merrimack, Northeastern, Vermont, UMass, UMass-Lowell, Providence, Maine and New Hampshire be big draws at the new arena in South Bend? Big enough to offset that expense? Why Hockey East? Notre Dame plays everything but football in the BIG East, but only one Big East school has hockey (UConn), but they are part of Atlantic Hockey.
                        Well, distance didn't stop the Big Ten from creating a black hole in their hockey travel budgets; but I can't see the members of Hockey East wanting to pony up the travel costs to come west.

*edit* Dave, Providence plays hockey too... (errm, well, they're listed as having a team, {PROVICED fans could correct us about their situation in HOCKEY RAST though...)
                        Big East: UConn (AHA), Notre Dame (CCHA), Providence (Hockey East)
                        Last edited by aparch; 03-28-2011, 04:06 PM.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          There is also an NCAA rule that mandates that you cannot leave more than 48 hours before the first contest. So if you have a Friday game that starts at 7:37 CT in Bemidji, that means you cannot leave South Bend before 8:37 pm Wednesday.
                          I expect you can reference this rule?

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                            I expect you can reference this rule?
                            http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...s-business.pdf

16.7.2 Departure/Return Restrictions. It is not permissible for a team to depart more than 48 hours prior to or
                            to remain more than 36 hours after an event or to transport the team to another area for entertainment
                            purposes.
                            In a situation where the 48/36 hour limitation is applicable, an institution that is participating in a multicompetition
                            or multi-day event (e.g., conference tournament) may depart 48 hours prior to the event’s first
                            round of competition (as opposed to 48 hours prior to the institution’s first scheduled competition), and
                            may remain 36 hours after the conclusion of the last contest (even if they are not participating in the final
                            contest). 6/94 Official Interpretation.
                            16.7.2.1 Exceptions. The time limitations related to the provisions of travel expenses do not apply in the following
                            circumstances:
                            (a) Travel prior to and following contests in Hawaii or Alaska;
                            (b) Travel prior to and following contest in the 48 contiguous states for member institutions located in
                            Hawaii or Alaska;
                            (c) Travel prior to and following regular season competition that takes place during the institution’s
                            official vacation period during the academic year;
                            (d) Travel prior to contests in NCAA championship events, NGB championship events in emerging sports
                            or certified postseason football games;
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Awesome. Thanks very much. I hate digging through regs.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                                Awesome. Thanks very much. I hate digging through regs.
                                No problem. I did a double take when he mentioned it earlier and decided to look it up.
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X