X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Atlantic Hockey Awards

The AHA Awards Banquet was last night.

http://www.uscho.com/2011/03/17/niag...-the-year-nod/

May I just ask this: What the heck does Wayne Wilson need to do to get the AHA Coach of the Year award? Five years in the league, four regular-season championships. What additional accomplishment could he possibly add to that resume that would push him over the top?

Powers &8^]

Re: 2011 Atlantic Hockey Awards

I thought the first year in the conference, Wilson was robbed because there were no expectations. Every year after that, the expectation has been to win the league. I can't think of another year where he was robbed. When you are predicted 8th and finish 3rd - that is going to merit votes, so that to me pushed Coach Pearl over the top.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

So what you're saying is that in order for Wilson to win the award, he'd have to have a bad year! That makes no sense. This is not a "most improved coach" award; it's a "best coach award".

Powers &8^]

Comment

I think you pretty much nailed it. The typical Coach of the year in any sport is the guy who takes a team that isn't expected to be very good and has success. It is just the way most voters think. Of course it means that a guy who is always successful gets overlooked, but which would yourather have, regular success or the coach of the year?

Comment

I'm sure he cries himself to sleep every night while looking at the empty spot in the trophy case next to the regular season trophies, the tournament title, and the Frozen Four banner.

I think the strongest measure of a coach's talent is the value he can get out of his players beyond their inherent talent. When you're already starting as the top talent in the league, you don't have to work as hard as a coach to get that talent out. That's not to say that Wilson isn't working as hard, just that it's hard to see that difference when everyone already thinks RIT is the best team in the league.

I know it sounds a little off, but I think for the (usually) consensus or close to consensus #1 to nab a COTY, he'd pretty much have to run the table on the league.
          UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
            I'm sure he cries himself to sleep every night while looking at the empty spot in the trophy case next to the regular season trophies, the tournament title, and the Frozen Four banner.
            I think that spot might have been filled with his Spencer Penrose award.
            -M

Comment

I find it hard to believe that Vinny Scarsella wasn't one of the top 9 forwards in the league.
              http://www.sports-casters.com

http://www.***********/sports_casters

thesportscasters@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
              X